Old 02-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Super User

Default Compiling kernel 2.6.22 on hardy Heron

Hi Guys,

I am running mythbuntu 8.04 which is based on Ubuntu Hardy Heron, and uses kernel 2.6.24. I have found that when viewing digital TV in the UK with a Hauppauge HVR-1300 TV card, that there is picture and audio interference on two frequencies, namely 506 and 562MHz. This effects all the "BBC" and "Five" channels. There are large bands of pixels in the picture, and the audio stutters.

By trial and error, I have discovered that this interference only occurs when using kernel versions greater than 2.6.22. As my machine is several years old, and I do not need to run the latest kernel, one solution would be to substitute a 2.6.22 kernel for the 2.6.24 one. When I recompiled a replacement kernel using sources taken from Ubuntu 7.1 (which uses a 2.6.22 kernel), I found that it failed to boot as the replacement kernel looks for hda, hdb ... for its hard drive numbering scheme, and Ubuntu v8.04 uses sda, sdb ... to define all its drives, partitions, and removable media.

After changing the "root=" statement in grub from sdb3 to hdb3, and changing the partition values in fstab, the system did boot, but I was then unable to get a signal lock on any of the TV channels, so that does not seem to be a viable solution to the problem.

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to downgrade the current 2.6.24 kernel to 2.6.22, and recompile it so that it recognises the Ubuntu "sd" hard drive naming scheme? Also, does anyone know why Ubuntu have chosen to use this naming scheme, as all the Linux distributions that I have used in the past have all used "hd" for hard drives, and "sd" for removable media?
--------------
Best regards,
Chris Smith

Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Nils Kassube

chris smith wrote:
> Hi Guys,I am running mythbuntu 8.04 which is based on Ubuntu Hardy
> Heron, and uses kernel 2.6.24. I have found that when viewing digital
> TV in the UK with a Hauppauge HVR-1300 TV card, that there is picture
> and audio interference on two frequencies, namely 506 and 562MHz. This
> effects all the "BBC" and "Five" channels. There are large bands of
> pixels in the picture, and the audio stutters.By trial and error, I
> have discovered that this interference only occurs when using kernel
> versions greater than 2.6.22. As my machine is several years old, and I
> do not need to run the latest kernel, one solution would be to
> substitute a 2.6.22 kernel for the 2.6.24 one. When I recompiled a
> replacement kernel using sources taken from Ubuntu 7.1

I would suggest you use the original kernel packages from Ubuntu 7.10
instead of recompiling. Or do you need a special feature that is not
included in the original kernel of 7.10? You can download the necessary
packages and then install them with dpkg.

Nils