Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 AM
"Mark Hyd"

Default Problem with Ubuntu Installation...

Hi there! I’ve just downloaded the UBUNTU 8.10 DESKTOP
EDITION ISO IMAGE and have burned it to CD.

I choose the option to install Ubuntu inside Windows, so
that I can run both OS’s without having to have a second partition.

Ubuntu installs, and I put in my user name and password. I press
ENTER, the screen shows the coloured background, and doesn’t load any
further, no matter how long I wait for. In the end, I have to turn my PC off at
the wall because it’s no longer responding, AND Ubuntu hasn’t
loaded up at all. What could be the problem? My computer has got enough RAM and
hard disk space.

*

Thank you very much, and I hope that you can help me!

*

My e-mail address is: hydma732@optusnet.com.au

Old 02-07-2009, 07:03 PM
ac

Mark Hyd wrote:
> Hi there! I’ve just downloaded the UBUNTU 8.10 DESKTOP EDITION ISO IMAGE and
> have burned it to CD.
>
> I choose the option to install Ubuntu inside Windows, so that I can run both
> OS’s without having to have a second partition.
>
> Ubuntu installs, and I put in my user name and password. I press ENTER, the
> screen shows the coloured background, and doesn’t load any further, no
> matter how long I wait for. In the end, I have to turn my PC off at the wall
> because it’s no longer responding, AND Ubuntu hasn’t loaded up at all. What
> could be the problem? My computer has got enough RAM and hard disk space.

After the initial install activity, it is necessary to restart, and
when doing this obviously choose ubuntu at restart, then a lot more
tidying up occurs, and you will also find that updates are available,
accept them for download. If a kernel (linux image) is included - as
it might be for the first set of updates, then a restart is also required.

If you have completed all that, and find it still does not complete
running up, then I would guess that the CD itself was worth checking -
in the target pc if possible.
hth
--
ac

Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Chris Mohler

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM, John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net> wrote:
> ac wrote:
>> Mark Hyd wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there! I've just downloaded the UBUNTU 8.10 DESKTOP EDITION ISO IMAGE and
>>> have burned it to CD.
>>>
>>> I choose the option to install Ubuntu inside Windows, so that I can run both
>>> OS's without having to have a second partition.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu installs, and I put in my user name and password. I press ENTER, the
>>> screen shows the coloured background, and doesn't load any further, no
>>> matter how long I wait for. In the end, I have to turn my PC off at the wall
>>> because it's no longer responding, AND Ubuntu hasn't loaded up at all. What
>>> could be the problem? My computer has got enough RAM and hard disk space.
>>>

>> After the initial install activity, it is necessary to restart, and
>> when doing this obviously choose ubuntu at restart, then a lot more
>> tidying up occurs, and you will also find that updates are available,
>> accept them for download. If a kernel (linux image) is included - as
>> it might be for the first set of updates, then a restart is also required.
>>
>> If you have completed all that, and find it still does not complete
>> running up, then I would guess that the CD itself was worth checking -
>> in the target pc if possible.
>> hth
>>
> Question? How does one install ubuntu within windows xp or vista?

There is a wubi installer on the CD...

Chris

Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 AM