Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

Default problem connecting to internet wireless

I have an Intel Pro Wireless Lan 2100 3a Mini PCI adapter. I have been able to connect to the internet. After an Ubuntu Hardy update yesterday I can no longer connect except in Windows. My router shows up in the list and Ubuntu seems to be trying to connect to it but fails to do so. When I edit the connection there is an incorrect password but correcting that does not seem to help.

*
Dell 600m laptop.
*
thanks for any assistance

Old 02-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Patton Echols

On 02/05/2009 05:04 AM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I have an Intel Pro Wireless Lan 2100 3a Mini PCI adapter. I have been
> able to connect to the internet. After an Ubuntu Hardy update
> yesterday I can no longer connect except in Windows. My router shows
> up in the list and Ubuntu seems to be trying to connect to it but
> fails to do so. When I edit the connection there is an incorrect
> password but correcting that does not seem to help.
>
> Dell 600m laptop.
>
> thanks for any assistance
I assume that when you say that the router "Shows up" you are talking
about in the dropdown list in the network manager applet. I have had
the same problem when I changed my router's wifi/wpa passphrase. (Yes,
you said you didn't, but obviously something burped) Note: I have not
had to do this since upgrading to Gutsy, but I assume all the steps
still are the same.

Here is what worked.

First, shutdown NetworkManager with the command:
$ sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager stop

Second,
Reset WPA key for an ssid:
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset
~/.gconf/system/networking/wireless/networks/<ssid>
(or, just stop NM and delete the directory)

(Frankly, for me I think I did something wrong with the gconftool-2 I
don't recall what the problem was. The two times I have had to do this
since, I just deleted the directory.)

Third, Reboot. When you next try to access that wireless node, it will
be seen as a new one and ask for password and whatever other configuration.

It seems to me that you should be able to just issue $ "sudo
/etc/init.d/dbus restart" which will take down dbus, hal, NetworkManager
and restart them all, then MN would figure out that it is missing the
file for the <ssid> and ask you for a password when youo try to access
it. But it only worked for me after a reboot. If anyone has an idea of
what else needs to be done to avoid a reboot, I'll add it to my notes!