Old 12-28-2007, 05:17 PM
"Timothy M. Spear"

Default Kernel freeze next steps

Hi,
My desktop machine will periodically freeze completely. It will not
respond to mouse, keyboard, network pings, ssh or any other service. I
have tried the usual items to eliminate the problem:
1. memtest 86+ no errors
2. turn off ACPI, APM, and AMD PowerNow
3. checked messages, syslog, kern.log, dmesg for errors. I did not
find any.
4. Leave the machine in console mode and wait for a lock. No errors
displayed.
5. Rebuild system in case of corruption
6. Check system freeze with Live CD. Does not (which leads me to
suspect disk I/O is the problem).
7. Check hardware in other machines, tested everything but CPUs and
Motherboards in other computers. No problems.
8. BIOS Patches. All updated.

One other symptom, which may or may not be related, is very slow I/O
performance.

Basic system information:
-- Gutsy Gibbon AMD64, fully patched.
-- Dual Opteron 246 processors
-- 4 GB of Ram
-- 8 SATA Drives. 4 attached on the Motherboard, 4 attached to a
Promise card. Both use the SiI 3114 Chipset.

Any ideas on what next to try to debug this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

--
Timothy M. Spear
COO

Old 12-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Ed Arnold

"Timothy M. Spear" <tspear@tangiblesoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
> My desktop machine will periodically freeze completely. It will not
>respond to mouse, keyboard, network pings, ssh or any other service. I
>have tried the usual items to eliminate the problem:
> 1. memtest 86+ no errors
> 2. turn off ACPI, APM, and AMD PowerNow
> 3. checked messages, syslog, kern.log, dmesg for errors. I did not
>find any.
> 4. Leave the machine in console mode and wait for a lock. No errors
>displayed.
> 5. Rebuild system in case of corruption
> 6. Check system freeze with Live CD. Does not (which leads me to
>suspect disk I/O is the problem).
> 7. Check hardware in other machines, tested everything but CPUs and
>Motherboards in other computers. No problems.
> 8. BIOS Patches. All updated.
>
> One other symptom, which may or may not be related, is very slow I/O
>performance.
>
> Basic system information:
> -- Gutsy Gibbon AMD64, fully patched.
> -- Dual Opteron 246 processors
> -- 4 GB of Ram
> -- 8 SATA Drives. 4 attached on the Motherboard, 4 attached to a
>Promise card. Both use the SiI 3114 Chipset.
>
> Any ideas on what next to try to debug this would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tim
>
>--
>Timothy M. Spear
>COO
>Tangible Software, Inc.

Chances are you've got a configuration that tickles this bug:

I have a Dell D810 laptop that does the same thing. Once the system
locks up, it won't respond to anything, including CTL+ALT+F1. So there
isn't much you can do.

My "fix" for this was to install 7.04. So far 7.04 has not locked,
but I'll have to run it a while longer before I'm sure it's OK.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:59 PM
"Timothy M. Spear"

Ed Arnold wrote:
> "Timothy M. Spear" <tspear@tangiblesoftware.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> My desktop machine will periodically freeze completely. It will not
>> respond to mouse, keyboard, network pings, ssh or any other service. I
>> have tried the usual items to eliminate the problem:
>> 1. memtest 86+ no errors
>> 2. turn off ACPI, APM, and AMD PowerNow
>> 3. checked messages, syslog, kern.log, dmesg for errors. I did not
>> find any.
>> 4. Leave the machine in console mode and wait for a lock. No errors
>> displayed.
>> 5. Rebuild system in case of corruption
>> 6. Check system freeze with Live CD. Does not (which leads me to
>> suspect disk I/O is the problem).
>> 7. Check hardware in other machines, tested everything but CPUs and
>> Motherboards in other computers. No problems.
>> 8. BIOS Patches. All updated.
>>
>> One other symptom, which may or may not be related, is very slow I/O
>> performance.
>>
>> Basic system information:
>> -- Gutsy Gibbon AMD64, fully patched.
>> -- Dual Opteron 246 processors
>> -- 4 GB of Ram
>> -- 8 SATA Drives. 4 attached on the Motherboard, 4 attached to a
>> Promise card. Both use the SiI 3114 Chipset.
>>
>> Any ideas on what next to try to debug this would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> --
>> Timothy M. Spear
>> COO
>> Tangible Software, Inc.
>>

> Chances are you've got a configuration that tickles this bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/159398
>
> I have a Dell D810 laptop that does the same thing. Once the system
> locks up, it won't respond to anything, including CTL+ALT+F1. So there
> isn't much you can do.
>
> My "fix" for this was to install 7.04. So far 7.04 has not locked,
> but I'll have to run it a while longer before I'm sure it's OK.

I found those bugs, but all the posts I found had wireless involved. I
actually do not have any wireless configuration or hardware. I am hoping
it will get resolved soon, it is kinda annoying to have to reboot the
machine on a daily basis.

Tim

Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 PM
NoOp

On 12/28/2007 11:59 AM, Timothy M. Spear wrote:

> I found those bugs, but all the posts I found had wireless involved. I
> actually do not have any wireless configuration or hardware. I am hoping
> it will get resolved soon, it is kinda annoying to have to reboot the
> machine on a daily basis.
>
> Tim

I am unsure whether this is related as I do not have an AMD64, but I
found similar problem on 3 systems (2 desktop and 1 Thinkpad A21M
laptop). Unfortunately I didn't pinpoint the exact cause.

Resolution for me was to stop running the generic kernel (Ubuntu 7.10,
kernel 2.6.22-14-generic) and instead run Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-386.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Ed Arnold

NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I am unsure whether this is related as I do not have an AMD64, but I
>found similar problem on 3 systems (2 desktop and 1 Thinkpad A21M
>laptop). Unfortunately I didn't pinpoint the exact cause.
>
>Resolution for me was to stop running the generic kernel (Ubuntu 7.10,
>kernel 2.6.22-14-generic) and instead run Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-386.

Another resolution is to install 7.04. It got rid of both the lockup
problem, and the problem with long boot time.