FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-07-2009, 12:03 AM
NoOp
 
Default replacing firefox bookmarks

On 02/06/2009 04:21 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Running 8.10 and Firefox 3.05 with previously imported bookmarks from
> 8.04. Tried to import a revised bookmark.html file and it appended itself
> to the existing bookmarks. Deleting the bookmark.html from
> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default and /etc/firefox-3.0/profile and
> places.sqlite did no good as places.sqlite gets rewritten when the
> bookmark drop down menu is accessed. I tried deleting places.sqlite and
> copying the file from my 8.04 backup without opening Firefox. Opening
> the browser and accessing the bookmarks shows the old bookmarks.
>
> A search turned up someone advising deleting places.sqlite, opening the
> browser and importing the new file. Not sure how they're doing this as
> the file gets rewritten before the new file can be imported.
>
> I'm trying to replace the bookmarks, not append them.
>
> Any pointers appreciated. Thanks.
>
>

Create a new profile:

$ firefox -P

and with that profile add your bookmarks. Alternatively you can use
Bookmarks|Organize Bookmarks and delete from there.

However, in answer to the delete bookmarks (and even the
bookmarksbackups folder):

Rename:

1. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarkbackups to
$HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarkbackups-x
2. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks to
$HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarks-x
3. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/places.sqlite to
$HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-places.sqlite-x

and restart Fx. You'll find that your bookmarks are now set at default
and you can import your old bookmarks if necessary.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Robert Holtzman
 
Default replacing firefox bookmarks

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, NoOp wrote:

> On 02/06/2009 04:21 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> Running 8.10 and Firefox 3.05 with previously imported bookmarks from
>> 8.04. Tried to import a revised bookmark.html file and it appended itself
>> to the existing bookmarks. Deleting the bookmark.html from
>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default and /etc/firefox-3.0/profile and
>> places.sqlite did no good as places.sqlite gets rewritten when the
>> bookmark drop down menu is accessed. I tried deleting places.sqlite and
>> copying the file from my 8.04 backup without opening Firefox. Opening
>> the browser and accessing the bookmarks shows the old bookmarks.
>>
>> A search turned up someone advising deleting places.sqlite, opening the
>> browser and importing the new file. Not sure how they're doing this as
>> the file gets rewritten before the new file can be imported.
>>
>> I'm trying to replace the bookmarks, not append them.
>>
>> Any pointers appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>>
>
> Create a new profile:
>
> $ firefox -P
>
> and with that profile add your bookmarks. Alternatively you can use
> Bookmarks|Organize Bookmarks and delete from there.
>
> However, in answer to the delete bookmarks (and even the
> bookmarksbackups folder):
>
> Rename:
>
> 1. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarkbackups to
> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarkbackups-x
> 2. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks to
> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarks-x
> 3. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/places.sqlite to
> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-places.sqlite-x
>
> and restart Fx. You'll find that your bookmarks are now set at default
> and you can import your old bookmarks if necessary.

Forgot to mention that I tried deleting
$HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks, and places.sqlite.
This time in addition, at your suggestion, I deleted the individual
files from the bookmarkbackups directory. Opened Firefox and lo and
behold all the old bookmarks. Of course places.sqlite, a backup file and
a bookmark file were magically recreated. I can't figure out what is
writing the places.sqlite file. Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
"If you think you're getting free lunch,
check the price of the beer"

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 AM
NoOp
 
Default replacing firefox bookmarks

On 02/07/2009 08:13 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, NoOp wrote:
[...]
>>
>> Create a new profile:
>>
>> $ firefox -P
>>
>> and with that profile add your bookmarks. Alternatively you can use
>> Bookmarks|Organize Bookmarks and delete from there.
>>
>> However, in answer to the delete bookmarks (and even the
>> bookmarksbackups folder):
>>
>> Rename:
>>
>> 1. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarkbackups to
>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarkbackups-x
>> 2. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks to
>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarks-x
>> 3. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/places.sqlite to
>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-places.sqlite-x
>>
>> and restart Fx. You'll find that your bookmarks are now set at default
>> and you can import your old bookmarks if necessary.
>
> Forgot to mention that I tried deleting
> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks, and places.sqlite.
> This time in addition, at your suggestion, I deleted the individual
> files from the bookmarkbackups directory. Opened Firefox and lo and
> behold all the old bookmarks. Of course places.sqlite, a backup file and
> a bookmark file were magically recreated. I can't figure out what is
> writing the places.sqlite file. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>

Please follow the directions I've provided.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-08-2009, 04:44 AM
alex goretoy
 
Default replacing firefox bookmarks

try foxmarks addon for firefox, It's so nice I bookmark everything practically.

http://www.foxmarks.com/

-Alex Goretoy
http://www.alexgoretoy.com





On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 10:56 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 02/07/2009 08:13 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, NoOp wrote:

[...]

>>

>> Create a new profile:

>>

>> $ firefox -P

>>

>> and with that profile add your bookmarks. Alternatively you can use

>> Bookmarks|Organize Bookmarks and delete from there.

>>

>> However, in answer to the delete bookmarks (and even the

>> bookmarksbackups folder):

>>

>> Rename:

>>

>> 1. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarkbackups to

>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarkbackups-x

>> 2. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks to

>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarks-x

>> 3. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/places.sqlite to

>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-places.sqlite-x

>>

>> and restart Fx. You'll find that your bookmarks are now set at default

>> and you can import your old bookmarks if necessary.

>

> Forgot to mention that I tried deleting

> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks, and places.sqlite.

> This time in addition, at your suggestion, I deleted the individual

> files from the bookmarkbackups directory. Opened Firefox and lo and

> behold all the old bookmarks. Of course places.sqlite, a backup file and

> a bookmark file were magically recreated. I can't figure out what is

> writing the places.sqlite file. Any ideas?

>

> Thanks.

>



*Please follow the directions I've provided.







--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Robert Holtzman
 
Default replacing firefox bookmarks

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, NoOp wrote:

> On 02/07/2009 08:13 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>>
>>> However, in answer to the delete bookmarks (and even the
>>> bookmarksbackups folder):
>>>
>>> Rename:
>>>
>>> 1. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarkbackups to
>>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarkbackups-x
>>> 2. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks to
>>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarks-x
>>> 3. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/places.sqlite to
>>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-places.sqlite-x
>>>
>>> and restart Fx. You'll find that your bookmarks are now set at default
>>> and you can import your old bookmarks if necessary.
>>
>> Forgot to mention that I tried deleting
>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks, and places.sqlite.
>> This time in addition, at your suggestion, I deleted the individual
>> files from the bookmarkbackups directory. Opened Firefox and lo and
>> behold all the old bookmarks. Of course places.sqlite, a backup file and
>> a bookmark file were magically recreated. I can't figure out what is
>> writing the places.sqlite file. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>
> Please follow the directions I've provided.

That works. Thanks. I missed the part about the bookmarkbackups
*directory*and just deleted the files therein. Sorry. That
raises another question. What's magic about renaming/deleting
the directory vs the files it contains?

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped
Homeland Security agents who fail to see
the humor in Doctor Strangelove

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM
NoOp
 
Default replacing firefox bookmarks

On 02/08/2009 11:36 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 02/07/2009 08:13 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>>>
>>>> However, in answer to the delete bookmarks (and even the
>>>> bookmarksbackups folder):
>>>>
>>>> Rename:
>>>>
>>>> 1. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarkbackups to
>>>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarkbackups-x
>>>> 2. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks to
>>>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarks-x
>>>> 3. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/places.sqlite to
>>>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-places.sqlite-x
>>>>
>>>> and restart Fx. You'll find that your bookmarks are now set at default
>>>> and you can import your old bookmarks if necessary.
>>>
>>> Forgot to mention that I tried deleting
>>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks, and places.sqlite.
>>> This time in addition, at your suggestion, I deleted the individual
>>> files from the bookmarkbackups directory. Opened Firefox and lo and
>>> behold all the old bookmarks. Of course places.sqlite, a backup file and
>>> a bookmark file were magically recreated. I can't figure out what is
>>> writing the places.sqlite file. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>
>> Please follow the directions I've provided.
>
> That works. Thanks. I missed the part about the bookmarkbackups
> *directory*and just deleted the files therein. Sorry. That
> raises another question. What's magic about renaming/deleting
> the directory vs the files it contains?
>

Don't know... I just tested until I got the right combination.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Robert Holtzman
 
Default replacing firefox bookmarks

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, NoOp wrote:

> On 02/08/2009 11:36 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>
>> That works. Thanks. I missed the part about the bookmarkbackups
>> *directory*and just deleted the files therein. Sorry. That
>> raises another question. What's magic about renaming/deleting
>> the directory vs the files it contains?
>>
>
> Don't know... I just tested until I got the right combination.

I know the feeling. That's the way I find a lot of my solutions. It *is*
frustrating though.

--
Bob Holtzman
A fair fight is the result of poor planning.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Robert Holtzman
 
Default replacing firefox bookmarks

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, alex goretoy wrote:

> try foxmarks addon for firefox, It's so nice I bookmark everything
> practically.
>
> http://www.foxmarks.com/

Thanks for the reply but foxmarks doesn't seem to do what I need. NoOp
put me on to the answer.

--
Bob Holtzman
A day without fusion is like, a day without sunshine
If it smells it's chemistry, if it crawls it's biology, if it doesn't
work it's physics


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org