Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Hardware Driver writer(s)

There is a software called System-Administration-Hardware
Drivers that are very useful if you have a video hardware that has high
definition drivers written for Ubuntu. I looked and cannot find out who
wrote this software but I would like to direct these few words to
him/them/her.

My computer has a nVidia made video hardware. Ubuntu has a low
definition nVidia video driver they ship to everyone. Since my computer
needs a better definition I am very hurt with the provided 600X600.

Most that can will load Ubuntu with a LiveCD. This is very good
because it allows you to see what your getting before you load it. Then
you install it and reboot. It comes up from your hard drive with the
600x600 resolution and you can see things but not well.

After 5 minutes you see a red arrow saying you have some Updates
to load. Also you see the Hardware Drivers and if you click on that
first, it comes up and offers you 3 written by nVidia software packages
called 83,173 and 177. No idea what these numbers stand for but the page
suggests you try 173. So I do and something is wrong with the page. It
puts up a long error message telling me what software it needs to use
and can't because the software package is too old. It says to please
upgrade all these things before using Hardware Drivers.

For success you need to load the 331 Updates for Ubuntu 8.10
before you try to fix the resolution. This takes about 4 hours with my
slow DSL Internet. Now you need to know that you can call up Hardware
Drivers at any time. So click on the software and it is there again and
you ask for 177. It starts to download the software but the Progress
Window shows zero. I can see that something is being sent to me over the
Internet but the small Progress window showed nothing happening.

Then the Progress window disappears your on your own. I first
tried clicking the Install button. This appeared to do nothing. But
something must have happened because the 177 software was installed. On
a reboot it comes up just a tiny line at the top of the screen. Here you
use Ctrl-Alt-F1 and drop to a simple level. There you login and go to
/etc/X11/ and edit xlog.conf by erasing it. Then you reboot and it comes
up again with the 600X600 resolution.

Repeat all in the above with the 173 software. Then the only one
left is 83 and you try that. For some reason the Progress Window worked
and the software was installed and started. Now my resolution is
1800x1200 and looks great.

To the writers of Hardware Drivers, your software is a god-send
to those Ubuntu users with video problems. The software needs to be
written to use the older and newer software in the LiveCD so your
software works with the un-updated software. There needs to be a way to
provide the user with which version of the video software to download.
For example my computer uses a nVidia 6300 series hardware. There needs
to be somewhere this information can be found.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 PM
"Mark Haney"

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> To the writers of Hardware Drivers, your software is a god-send
> to those Ubuntu users with video problems. The software needs to be
> written to use the older and newer software in the LiveCD so your
> software works with the un-updated software. There needs to be a way to
> provide the user with which version of the video software to download.
> For example my computer uses a nVidia 6300 series hardware. There needs
> to be somewhere this information can be found.
>

> Karl

Have you ever heard of filing a bug instead of wasting everyone's
bandwidth with diatribes on bad software?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 15:22:25 -0500
"Mark Haney" <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>

> > To the writers of Hardware Drivers, your software is a
> > god-send to those Ubuntu users with video problems. The software
> > needs to be written to use the older and newer software in the
> > LiveCD so your software works with the un-updated software. There
> > needs to be a way to provide the user with which version of the
> > video software to download. For example my computer uses a nVidia
> > 6300 series hardware. There needs to be somewhere this information
> > can be found.
> >

> > Karl
> >

> Have you ever heard of filing a bug instead of wasting everyone's
> bandwidth with diatribes on bad software?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

and interrupt Karl's blog?

Good luck getting that done...

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-06-2009, 11:24 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 15:22:25 -0500
> "Mark Haney" <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>

>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>

>>> To the writers of Hardware Drivers, your software is a
>>> god-send to those Ubuntu users with video problems. The software
>>> needs to be written to use the older and newer software in the
>>> LiveCD so your software works with the un-updated software. There
>>> needs to be a way to provide the user with which version of the
>>> video software to download. For example my computer uses a nVidia
>>> 6300 series hardware. There needs to be somewhere this information
>>> can be found.
>>>

>>> Karl
>>>

>> Have you ever heard of filing a bug instead of wasting everyone's
>> bandwidth with diatribes on bad software?
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
>>

> and interrupt Karl's blog?
>
> Good luck getting that done...

If you two have no help to provide why don't you both shut UP!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Timothy-Allen Albertson

AMEN
Timothy-Allen Albertson
Registered Linux User *#482284
Registered Ubuntu User #25839
Amateur Radio Station KG6IRH/0-
Technician Class License Since 2001
EcholinkNodeNo.48255
Latitude: 41.254887 (41 15' 17' N)

Longitude: -95.852753 (95 51' 9' W)
Grid Square: EN21bg
12 *...In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children... *Book of Mormon--Alma 46:12

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 15:22:25 -0500

> "Mark Haney" <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>>> * * * * To the writers of Hardware Drivers, your software is a

>>> god-send to those Ubuntu users with video problems. The software

>>> needs to be written to use the older and newer software in the

>>> LiveCD so your software works with the un-updated software. There

>>> needs to be a way to provide the user with which version of the

>>> video software to download. For example my computer uses a nVidia

>>> 6300 series hardware. There needs to be somewhere this information

>>> can be found.

>>> Karl

>> Have you ever heard of filing a bug instead of wasting everyone's

>> bandwidth with diatribes on bad software?

>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

> and interrupt Karl's blog?

> Good luck getting that done...

* *If you two have no help to provide why don't you both shut UP!

Karl

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Old 02-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Chris Mohler

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 15:22:25 -0500

>>> Have you ever heard of filing a bug instead of wasting everyone's
>>> bandwidth with diatribes on bad software?
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
>>>

>> and interrupt Karl's blog?
>>
>> Good luck getting that done...
>>

> If you two have no help to provide why don't you both shut UP!

Karl, it's you who should file a (rational) bug or "shut UP" (as you
put it). Mark pointed out that a bug report is more useful than a
meandering whine to the user list. Nothing wrong with that. Charlie
(sarcastically) implied that you often use the mailing list as your
own personal blog - which is true - and that you will probably
continue to do so - which unfortunately also seems to be true.
Nothing wrong with that, either.

Years ago, you were advised not to blog to the Fedora list and that
advice went unheeded. After switching to Ubuntu you have continued to
fill us all in on your daily activities with no sign of slowing down
soon. In my book, that makes you a fair target - either grow thicker
skin or go and get yourself a blog:
https://www.blogger.com

Lighten up man, in any case - it's just the users' list

Chris

Old 02-07-2009, 01:06 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Charlie Kravetz wrote:

>>> and interrupt Karl's blog?
>>>
>>> Good luck getting that done...
>>>

>> If you two have no help to provide why don't you both shut UP!
>>

> Karl, it's you who should file a (rational) bug or "shut UP" (as you
> put it). Mark pointed out that a bug report is more useful than a
> meandering whine to the user list. Nothing wrong with that. Charlie
> (sarcastically) implied that you often use the mailing list as your
> own personal blog - which is true - and that you will probably
> continue to do so - which unfortunately also seems to be true.
> Nothing wrong with that, either.
>
> Years ago, you were advised not to blog to the Fedora list and that
> advice went unheeded. After switching to Ubuntu you have continued to
> fill us all in on your daily activities with no sign of slowing down
> soon. In my book, that makes you a fair target - either grow thicker
> skin or go and get yourself a blog:
> https://www.blogger.com
>
> Lighten up man, in any case - it's just the users' list
>
> Chris

Why don't you shut up too. Your all so sure it never got to be a bug
but I direct your interest, if you have any at all to Bug# 326405 and
please don't bother because I'm certain none of you have even a foggy
idea of what the problem is!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

Why don't you shut up too.

Karl

Chronic liver congestion might be involved in chronic bad behavior...

(Sorry, I certainly know, only text messages, etc., but I just can't
keep my big mouth shut...)

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 AM
Chris Mohler

Old 02-07-2009, 04:06 AM
Chris Mohler

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't you shut up too. Your all so sure it never got to be a bug
> but I direct your interest, if you have any at all to Bug# 326405 and
> please don't bother because I'm certain none of you have even a foggy
> idea of what the problem is!

List: sorry for the accidental post earlier.

Karl: you're absolutely right, I have a pretty clear idea…

Chris