Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"

Default packaging, modify a patched package

Hi all
when I download and extract the source of a package, I mostly find
patches in it.
It's OK.
But know, I want to modifiy those packages to fit my needs:
What is the process to follow in these case?

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

Old 02-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Brian McKee

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:21 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)
<mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:
> Hi all
> when I download and extract the source of a package, I mostly find
> patches in it.
> It's OK.
> But know, I want to modifiy those packages to fit my needs:
> What is the process to follow in these case?

I think most packages are really just upstream and/or Debian packages
with patches for Ubuntu. Thus, they look like a pile of patches.

Not sure I understand your question - change what you need and build
it again... or submit your suggest changes back in Launchpad if you
think your changes apply to other people as well.

Brian

Old 02-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Loc Martin

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Hi all
> when I download and extract the source of a package, I mostly find
> patches in it.
> It's OK.
> But know, I want to modifiy those packages to fit my needs:
> What is the process to follow in these case?

It depends if you want to send your modifications back to
Ubuntu/Debian/Upstream, or just modify the package once for your
personal use (but if you'd want to modify new versions of the package
too, you'd look for the same solutions as when you want to send your
modifications to somebody else.

If it's just once and for you, you can just edit the code/file you want
(the code is already patched with Ubuntu/Debian patches when you
decompress the source either with apt-get source or dpkg-source -x),
save, then rebuild.

For all other cases, you'll have to identify the patch system used, then
do you modifications using that same patch system.

See for example
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems?action=show&redirect=MOTU%2FHowToPatc h

Loc

Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Loc Martin wrote:
> (the code is already patched with Ubuntu/Debian patches when you
> decompress the source either with apt-get source or dpkg-source -x),

Good,
the question is now
How should I build my patch to be compliant with the already done patches.
I will look to the link you provided.
Thanks.