Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default 8.10 problems, resolved

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
>
>> 2. There is no "display-config-gtk" on either Ubuntu's.
>>

> I just looked it up; it is, "displayconfig-gtk."
> I'm quite sure that it is what Ray meant.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Well gang I am now on 8.10 with the proper driver for this nvidia
video hardware series 6300 which is the "83" series software. I tried
the "173" and "177" first and they just put a band of light across the
top of the screen.

None of the cute things you all had me try were needed. I used the
System-Administration-Hardware-Drivers software. It didn't work very
well the first few times but on the last try it worked fine.

Now the screen is a giant 1280x1024 on a 17 inch flat liquid crystal
monitor 7 years old and still as good as new.

Thanks to you all for your help. I have no idea why it was so hard
to do but it appears you need to have the 331 updates before you try to
get the nvidia softwar drivers. And that did not work real well at first.

Karl

'

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Shannon McMackin

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> 2. There is no "display-config-gtk" on either Ubuntu's.
>>>
>> I just looked it up; it is, "displayconfig-gtk."
>> I'm quite sure that it is what Ray meant.
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>
> Well gang I am now on 8.10 with the proper driver for this nvidia
> video hardware series 6300 which is the "83" series software. I tried
> the "173" and "177" first and they just put a band of light across the
> top of the screen.
>
> None of the cute things you all had me try were needed. I used the
> System-Administration-Hardware-Drivers software. It didn't work very
> well the first few times but on the last try it worked fine.
>
> Now the screen is a giant 1280x1024 on a 17 inch flat liquid crystal
> monitor 7 years old and still as good as new.
>
> Thanks to you all for your help. I have no idea why it was so hard
> to do but it appears you need to have the 331 updates before you try to
> get the nvidia softwar drivers. And that did not work real well at first.
>
> Karl
>

> '

Karl,

You posted earlier that a kernel update broke your wireless. I'd like
to point out that there are a few critical packages for each kernel
release. When you get a new linux-image update, make sure to also apply
the update to linux-backports-modules and linux-restricted-modules. If
you use the meta package for these items, it should automatically pull
in the new package when an update is available.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Shannon McMackin wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> I just looked it up; it is, "displayconfig-gtk."
>>> I'm quite sure that it is what Ray meant.
>>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>>

>> Well gang I am now on 8.10 with the proper driver for this nvidia
>> video hardware series 6300 which is the "83" series software. I tried
>> the "173" and "177" first and they just put a band of light across the
>> top of the screen.
>>
>> None of the cute things you all had me try were needed. I used the
>> System-Administration-Hardware-Drivers software. It didn't work very
>> well the first few times but on the last try it worked fine.
>>
>> Now the screen is a giant 1280x1024 on a 17 inch flat liquid crystal
>> monitor 7 years old and still as good as new.
>>
>> Thanks to you all for your help. I have no idea why it was so hard
>> to do but it appears you need to have the 331 updates before you try to
>> get the nvidia softwar drivers. And that did not work real well at first.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> '
>>

> Karl,
>
> You posted earlier that a kernel update broke your wireless. I'd like
> to point out that there are a few critical packages for each kernel
> release. When you get a new linux-image update, make sure to also apply
> the update to linux-backports-modules and linux-restricted-modules. If
> you use the meta package for these items, it should automatically pull
> in the new package when an update is available.

I'm sorry, the problem is with 8.10 on my laptop which must have
WiFi. I got it working fine and after some updates it stopped working. I
experimented and discovered the WiFi comes back if I use the earlier
kernel. This was no problem because the sound stayed good and had WiFi.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User