Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Vlc won't play DVD's on Ubuntu, or Kubuntu Intrepid

(``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> Olá Nigel e a todos.
>
> This should be sent to ubuntu-users.
> So please reply only there.
>
> On Tuesday 03 February 2009 17:23:40 Nigel Henry wrote:
>
>> I have vlc installed on both my Ubuntu, and Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10 installs,
>> but vlc will not play dvd's. It finds the optical drive ok, and I get the
>> menu up for the dvd, but only about a half second of sound, and video play,
>> then it stalls. If I press on play the movie, again I get about a half second
>> of sound and video, then the movie stops playing. If I move the progress bar,
>> I can move through the movie, but again when I stop moving it, another
>> snippet of sound and video, and all I have is effectively a still shot, with
>> no sound.
>>

> You need to install ubuntu-restricted-extras.
> There is a bug opened on Launchpad about VLC not asking for the codecs.
>

>> I then enabled the Hardy Multiverse repo, and installed the Hardy version of
>> vlc 0.8.6a janus (wxWidgets Interface) on Kubuntu Intrepid, which plays dvd's
>> with no problem.
>>

> Was it Hardy or Interpid?

On both Hardy and Intrepid you need a special for DVD codex which is
a library file, but I forget the name of it. I think you can apt-get
install it if you have the registries set up on your computer.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Nigel Henry

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 22:50, (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> Olá Nigel e a todos.
>
> This should be sent to ubuntu-users.
> So please reply only there.
>
> On Tuesday 03 February 2009 17:23:40 Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I have vlc installed on both my Ubuntu, and Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10
> > installs, but vlc will not play dvd's. It finds the optical drive ok, and
> > I get the menu up for the dvd, but only about a half second of sound, and
> > video play, then it stalls. If I press on play the movie, again I get
> > about a half second of sound and video, then the movie stops playing. If
> > I move the progress bar, I can move through the movie, but again when I
> > stop moving it, another snippet of sound and video, and all I have is
> > effectively a still shot, with no sound.
>
> You need to install ubuntu-restricted-extras.

Well I'm downloading that package on dialup, which comes to 84.7MB of
downloads. Thankfully, I'd already installed the w32codecs on the Kubuntu
Intrepid install, so copied the package over to the Ubuntu archives, which
has saved downloading 14.3MB again. Which package exactly is the one the one
that hopefully will resolve my vlc problem. The packages being downloaded are
as below.

cabextract freepats gsfonts-x11 gstreamer0.10-pitfdll
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse java-common
libavcodec-unstripped-51 libcdaudio1 libgmyth0 libiptcdata0
libmjpegtools0c2a libmms0 libneon27-gnutls libofa0 libopenspc0 libquicktime1
libsoundtouch1c2 libstdc++5 libwildmidi0 msttcorefonts odbcinst1debian1
sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin ubuntu-restricted-extras
unixodbc unrar w32codecs xutils-dev

I see there are a bunch of java packages, which may resolve another problem
with Firefox, and the java site http://www.jigzone.com, although Opera worked
ok with this site, as long as I set a specific java path in Opera. That
remains to be seen, and as I already have installed Sun's JRE to resolve that
problem, I'll have to try and disable Sun's JRE, so as to see if the latest
downloads that come with the ubuntu-restricted-extras package, will also
resolve the Firefox problem with that site.

> There is a bug opened on Launchpad about VLC not asking for the codecs.

Have you got a link to the specific bug, as there are 441 listed.

> > I then enabled the Hardy Multiverse repo, and installed the Hardy version
> > of vlc 0.8.6a janus (wxWidgets Interface) on Kubuntu Intrepid, which
> > plays dvd's with no problem.
>
> Was it Hardy or Interpid?

The vlc problem is on both Kubuntu, and Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10. On the same
machine, Hardy's vlc works ok, but that is an earlier version of vlc (0,8,6a
janus (wxWidgets interface). I removed the Intrepid version of vlc from
Kubuntu Intrepid, and installed the Hardy version of vlc (0.8.6a janus
(wxWidgets interface) on Kubuntu Intrepid. Skipping the edit's I made
to /etc/apt/sources.list, the Hardy version of vlc works fine on Intrepid.

As I posted previously, both Kaffeine, and Xine will play dvd's with no
problems on Kubuntu Intrepid, and both Totem, and Ogle play dvd's also with
no problems on Ubuntu Intrepid. On the same machine Fedora 9, and Archlinux,
both using vlc 0.9.8a Grishenko play dvd's ok, but they are different
distro's, so perhaps don't enter the equation.

I'm just trying to resolve a problem, and am gratefull for any suggestions.

Nigel.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 22:06 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Which package exactly is the one the one
> that hopefully will resolve my vlc problem.

See here for details:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Rashkae

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 22:06 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
>> Which package exactly is the one the one
>> that hopefully will resolve my vlc problem.
>
> See here for details:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

None of which matters in this case.. Since vlc is able to open the dvd
and even play any frame in the stream, the codecs, region code and deCss
decryption are obviously all working.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but all the discussion I've read here so
far is going up the wrong tree.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Nigel Henry

On Friday 06 February 2009 08:30, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 22:06 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Which package exactly is the one the one
> > that hopefully will resolve my vlc problem.
>
> See here for details:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Hi Mario.

I've already got the libdvdcss2 package installed, and as I said on my
also the Hardy version of vlc plays dvd's ok on Intrepid. I'ts only the
Intrepid version of vlc which is having problems.

Since I installed the bunch of packages that came with
ubuntu-restricted-extras, Intrepids vlc plays for a bit longer before coming
to a stop. For example, the menu, which is a bit like a trailer, plays for 6
secs, then the sound starts to break up, and at 9secs the video goes static,
and the sound stops. Vlc appears to be still running the trailer though, as
the progress bar is moving, the time is still clocking up seconds, the
harddrive is showing activity, and the light on the optical drive is going on
and off every half second or so. If I advance the progress bar, it again will
play a few secs of sound and video, then stops again.

If I slow the playback down to half speed, the trailer plays right through,
then repeats, with no problem. It just won't play at normal speed.

Nigel.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 06 February 2009 08:30, Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 22:06 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
>>
>>> Which package exactly is the one the one
>>> that hopefully will resolve my vlc problem.
>>>
>> See here for details:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
>>

> Hi Mario.
>
> I've already got the libdvdcss2 package installed, and as I said on my
> also the Hardy version of vlc plays dvd's ok on Intrepid. I'ts only the
> Intrepid version of vlc which is having problems.
>
> Since I installed the bunch of packages that came with
> ubuntu-restricted-extras, Intrepids vlc plays for a bit longer before coming
> to a stop. For example, the menu, which is a bit like a trailer, plays for 6
> secs, then the sound starts to break up, and at 9secs the video goes static,
> and the sound stops. Vlc appears to be still running the trailer though, as
> the progress bar is moving, the time is still clocking up seconds, the
> harddrive is showing activity, and the light on the optical drive is going on
> and off every half second or so. If I advance the progress bar, it again will
> play a few secs of sound and video, then stops again.
>
> If I slow the playback down to half speed, the trailer plays right through,
> then repeats, with no problem. It just won't play at normal speed.
>
> Nigel.

This sounds like a problem not with the codex but with the actual
VLC software. Or it is not being read of the DVD properly. I would
remove the current VLC software and reload it. My 8.10 with Gnome works
just fine.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Nigel Henry

On Friday 06 February 2009 16:30, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> >>
> >> See here for details:
> >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
> >
> > Hi Mario.
> >
> > I've already got the libdvdcss2 package installed, and as I said on my
> > and also the Hardy version of vlc plays dvd's ok on Intrepid. I'ts only
> > the Intrepid version of vlc which is having problems.
> >
> > Since I installed the bunch of packages that came with
> > ubuntu-restricted-extras, Intrepids vlc plays for a bit longer before
> > coming to a stop. For example, the menu, which is a bit like a trailer,
> > plays for 6 secs, then the sound starts to break up, and at 9secs the
> > video goes static, and the sound stops. Vlc appears to be still running
> > the trailer though, as the progress bar is moving, the time is still
> > clocking up seconds, the harddrive is showing activity, and the light on
> > the optical drive is going on and off every half second or so. If I
> > advance the progress bar, it again will play a few secs of sound and
> > video, then stops again.
> >
> > If I slow the playback down to half speed, the trailer plays right
> > through, then repeats, with no problem. It just won't play at normal
> > speed.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> This sounds like a problem not with the codex but with the actual
> VLC software. Or it is not being read of the DVD properly. I would
> remove the current VLC software and reload it. My 8.10 with Gnome works
> just fine.
>
> Karl

Hi Karl.

Weird isn't it. First time I've ever had a problem with vlc. I've just tried
starting it on the command line with the -v 2 option, which gives max verbose
output, and some of the output is below. When vlc comes to a stop, there are
a whole bunch of "main audio output warnings".

I think that I already have re-installed it, but I'll give it another go. As
I say, it's not just on Ubuntu Intrepid, but the same on Kubuntu Intrepid,
but now I've removed the Kubuntu Intrepid vlc, and replaced it with the
earlier version from Hardy, which works with no problems, as vlc always has
done.

Output below from running vlc as, vlc -v 2

[00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
[00000378] playlist demux warning: invalid <playlist> attribute:"xmlns:vlc"
[00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to
use vlc without interface.
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.2 from http://dvd.sf.net
libdvdnav: vm: failed to open/read the DVD
[00000410] dvdnav demux warning: cannot open dvdnav
[00000415] vcdx access warning: Can't get file status for 2:
No such file or directory
[00000415] vcdx access warning: could not retrieve file info for `2': No such
file or directory
[00000415] vcdx access warning: can't open nrg image file 2 for reading
[00000415] access_directory access error: 2: No such file or directory
[00000415] access_mmap access warning: cannot open 2: No such file or
directory
[00000415] access_file access error: cannot open file 2 (No such file or
directory)
[00000415] cdda access warning: could not open 2
[00000409] main input error: open of `2' failed: could not create access: no
suitable access module
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.2 from http://dvd.sf.net
libdvdnav: DVD Title: WILL_HAY_WINDBAG_THE_SAILOR
libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 3EF757C6___MVB__
libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative):
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file
'/home/djmons/.dvdnav/WILL_HAY_WINDBAG_THE_SAILOR.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fd0000. Regions: 2
[00000464] xvideo video output warning: no free XVideo port found for format
0x30323449 (I420)
[00000464] xvideo video output warning: no free XVideo port found for format
0x32595559 (YUY2)
[00000464] xvideo video output warning: no free XVideo port found for format
0x36315652 (RV16)
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 1
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 1
[00000463] main decoder warning: dts != current_pts (-139147)
[00000463] main decoder warning: backward_pts != current_pts (-40000)
[00000476] a52 decoder: A/52 channels:2 samplerate:48000 bitrate:192000
[00000494] message scale warning: message queue overflowed
[00000478] main audio output warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting
resampling (71030)
[00000478] main audio output warning: buffer is 71030 late, triggering
upsampling
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-25526), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting
resampling (49063)
[00000478] main audio output warning: buffer is 48718 late, triggering
upsampling
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-13467), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting
resampling (61262)
[00000478] main audio output warning: buffer is 77980 late, triggering
upsampling
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-37291), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: buffer is 44563 late, triggering
upsampling
[00000478] main audio output warning: computed PTS is out of range (2565),
clearing out
[00000478] main audio output warning: timing screwed, stopping resampling
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (46901), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: output PTS is out of range (14915),
clearing out
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (18794), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-9217), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-16642), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting
resampling (64300)
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (19328), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-9155), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-37161), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: computed PTS is out of range (62372),
clearing out
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (30942), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: output PTS is out of range (62681),
clearing out
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (2889), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (30850), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (2937), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-24461), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting
resampling (64429)
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (46958), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (18904), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: computed PTS is out of range (114483),
clearing out
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (114997), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: output PTS is out of range (125281),
clearing out
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (86918), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (58927), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (74956), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (46954), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (18936), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-8216), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-37050), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-830), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: output PTS is out of range (9938),
clearing out
[00000478] main audio output warning: input PTS is out of range (31357),
trashing
[00000478] main audio output warning: computed PTS is out of range (3239),
clearing out
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-28720), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: computed PTS is out of range (62995),
clearing out
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (63080), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: output PTS is out of range (73785),
clearing out
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (37723), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (7022), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (102989), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (74975), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (178873), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (147443), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (119045), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (91007), dropping
buffer
[00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (63653), dropping
buffer
[0000

The above warnings go on until I close vlc.

Nigel.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Nigel Henry wrote:
> [...]
> [00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (102989), dropping
> buffer
> [00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (74975), dropping
> buffer
> [00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (178873), dropping
> buffer
> [00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (147443), dropping
> buffer
> [00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (119045), dropping
> buffer
> [00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (91007), dropping
> buffer
> [00000478] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (63653), dropping
> buffer
> [0000
>
> The above warnings go on until I close vlc.

I hope someone can read and decide what's wrong. I am not an expert
and like you I have for some time just loaded VLC and enjoyed using it
without a single problem. You need to find a handle on the problem.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 15:51 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

> I've already got the libdvdcss2 package installed, and as I said on my
> Intrepid, and also the Hardy version of vlc plays dvd's ok on
> Intrepid. I'ts only the Intrepid version of vlc which is having
> problems.

Ok, sorry for not checking first. Sending this link has seemingly become
second nature when seeing "DVD does not play".

Can you run vlc from the command line with the "--verbose <integer>"
switch (verbosity = 0,1, or 2), then play the DVD? This might give hints
in the command line output.

FWIW, Intrepid's vlc runs fine here.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 17:11 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> [00000415] vcdx access warning: Can't get file status for 2:
> No such file or directory
> [00000415] vcdx access warning: could not retrieve file info for `2':
> No such file or directory
> [00000415] vcdx access warning: can't open nrg image file 2 for
> reading
> [00000415] access_directory access error: 2: No such file or directory
> [00000415] access_mmap access warning: cannot open 2: No such file or
> directory
> [00000415] access_file access error: cannot open file 2 (No such file
> or directory)
> [00000415] cdda access warning: could not open 2
> [00000409] main input error: open of `2' failed: could not create
> access: no suitable access module

This is also weird. It seems that vlc misinterprets the command line
(vlc -v 2) to mean that it is supposed to run the file "2"