Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Bret Busby

Default Problem with laptop running Ubuntu 8.10

Hello.

I have an HP/Compaq NX5000 running Ubuntu 8.10, in a multiple boot
installation. (Well, it was, when it was operating properly)

I have just gone to look at an image that was displayed in a web browser window
the last time that I used the computer (a couple of days ago), and the screen
displays only the background, with no desktop, no panel, no date/time, or
anything else.

Nothing responds on the computer; <alt><F1> to go to a console (if that works
in Ubuntu), <CTRL><ALT><DELETE>, and, the ON/OFF switch.

What do I do, without destroying either the computer or the systems installed,
to get it working again?

We had a power blackout here today, for about 10-30 seconds (the electricity
supply is dangerous in this area), but surely, the battery should have taken
over, without doing any damage.

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby