Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default can 2 internet exist at same time on 8.10?

sofian sindhi wrote:
> Dear all:
> I use ubuntu 8.10 and it is really nice when I connect to wire or usb modem,
> since it can automatically do the network setting.
> But I have one question:
> Can I both have 2 networks, wired and usb modem at same time?
> Such that I can treat my ubuntu 8.10 as a server.
> Normally I use ssh to connect to it and if I find I need to update some
> package I can apt-get directly whithout unplugin the usb modem.
> Thanks for your help,
> sofian

Of course you can. Linux is designed to handle multiple networks
(really any OS is, but...).

The caveat being that the networks need to be different IP subnets. You
can't have both networks in the '192.168.0.X' range. (Well you can, but
for simplcity's sake, let's not.)

If one network is 192.168.1.X and the other is 192.168.2.X, then you
shouldn't have any trouble routing between them.

I guess the main question here is which one will be the default gateway
to the internet? I would make the 'wired' one the default for internet
traffic, then if that goes down, you can have all internet traffic fail
over to the modem (using a higher preference) if you want.

Make sense?

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 02-05-2009, 01:18 PM
sofian sindhi

2009/2/5 Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org>

sofian sindhi wrote:

> Dear all:

> I use ubuntu 8.10 and it is really nice when I connect to wire or usb modem,

> since it can automatically do the network setting.

> But I have one question:

> Can I both have 2 networks, wired and usb modem at same time?

> Such that I can treat my ubuntu 8.10 as a server.

> Normally I use ssh to connect to it and if I find I need to *update some

> package I can apt-get directly whithout unplugin the usb modem.

> Thanks for your help,

> sofian

Of course you can. *Linux is designed to handle multiple networks

(really any OS is, but...).

The caveat being that the networks need to be different IP subnets. *You

can't have both networks in the '192.168.0.X' range. *(Well you can, but

for simplcity's sake, let's not.)

If one network is 192.168.1.X and the other is 192.168.2.X, then you

shouldn't have any trouble routing between them.

I guess the main question here is which one will be the default gateway

to the internet? *I would make the 'wired' one the default for internet

traffic, then if that goes down, you can have all internet traffic fail

over to the modem (using a higher preference) if you want.

Make sense?

Hi:
thanks for your help.
The ubuntu will automatically change the connection when I plug usb modem or RJ45.
That means, if I originally use usb modem connect to the Internet then plug in the wire line, Ubuntu will run autoeth0 and my usb modem will disconnect.

I previously uss ubuntu 7.10, which is not as nice as 8.10, and use vodafine usbmodem driver to connect to the internet.
I can use 2 networks without changing the ip address, one is assigned by ISP and another is set by myself, 192.168.1.100.

So, I have to manually configure the ip to make them under the same domain?
appreciate your help,
sofian