Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 PM
R Kimber

Default awakening screen from screensaver

Movement of my mouse (logitech LX7) does not interrupt the
screensaver. I have to press a key to get the screen back. Is there a
setting somewhere for this? I can't see it under 'screensaver' or
'mouse' in the preferences.

Or is it a bug? If so, which package should it relate to?

I have 8.10

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

R Kimber wrote:
> Movement of my mouse (logitech LX7) does not interrupt the
> screensaver. I have to press a key to get the screen back. Is there a
> setting somewhere for this? I can't see it under 'screensaver' or
> 'mouse' in the preferences.
>
> Or is it a bug? If so, which package should it relate to?
>
> I have 8.10
>
> - Richard

It is different than Hardy, but my 8.10 that works on my laptop has
that same problem. I hit the shift key and that drops the screen saver.
Also, since about 99.8% of us are using screens that do not "burn in"
there is little need for screen savers. But I like the one with
electronic components swimming by.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> R Kimber wrote:
>> Movement of my mouse (logitech LX7) does not interrupt the
>> screensaver. I have to press a key to get the screen back. Is there a
>> setting somewhere for this? I can't see it under 'screensaver' or
>> 'mouse' in the preferences.
>>
>> Or is it a bug? If so, which package should it relate to?
>>
>> I have 8.10
>>
>> - Richard
>>
> It is different than Hardy, but my 8.10 that works on my laptop has
> that same problem. I hit the shift key and that drops the screen saver.
> Also, since about 99.8% of us are using screens that do not "burn in"
> there is little need for screen savers. But I like the one with
> electronic components swimming by.

Despite the cautions of saying Me Too, I'll add that I have two up to
date Intrepid systems and one of them will not wake by mouse, the other
one does. I don't know if it's related to whether you have a PS/2 port
mouse vs. a USB mouse or not, but I never changed any settings for the
screensaver or mouse that relate to waking from mouse nor have I been
able to find anything to change the behavior. I just sort of wrote it
off as a minor annoyance.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Chris Jones

> It is different than Hardy, but my 8.10 that works on my laptop has
> that same problem. I hit the shift key and that drops the screen saver.
> Also, since about 99.8% of us are using screens that do not "burn in"
> there is little need for screen savers. But I like the one with
> electronic components swimming by.

Be careful - Its a myth that LCD screens (I assume that is what you are
referring to) don't suffer burn in. They do, it just takes longer.

cheers Chris

Old 02-05-2009, 02:25 PM
R Kimber

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:57:42 -0500
Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Despite the cautions of saying Me Too, I'll add that I have two up to
> date Intrepid systems and one of them will not wake by mouse, the
> other one does. I don't know if it's related to whether you have a
> PS/2 port mouse vs. a USB mouse or not, but I never changed any
> settings for the screensaver or mouse that relate to waking from
> mouse nor have I been able to find anything to change the behavior. I
> just sort of wrote it off as a minor annoyance.

My mouse is USB/wireless.

I agree it's not a mega problem, but I do think that even minor issues
should be corrected if possible. Maybe I'll file a bug.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 02-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Rashkae

R Kimber wrote:
>> I agree it's not a mega problem, but I do think that even minor issues
> should be corrected if possible. Maybe I'll file a bug.
>
> - Richard

Some wireless mice that are aggressive on power saving will not wake
until you 'click.' This behaviour might be controllable from the
Windows software, but if that's the hardware default, there's not much
to be done about it. (Besides get better hardware)

Old 02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
R Kimber

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:47:37 -0500
Rashkae wrote:

> Some wireless mice that are aggressive on power saving will not wake
> until you 'click.' This behaviour might be controllable from the
> Windows software, but if that's the hardware default, there's not much
> to be done about it. (Besides get better hardware)

So what brands do 'good' wireless mice? I always thought Logitech was
supposed to be one of the best.

Though with mice, the 'feel' is paramount, if you use it a great deal.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 02-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Rashkae

R Kimber wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:47:37 -0500
> Rashkae wrote:
>
>> Some wireless mice that are aggressive on power saving will not wake
>> until you 'click.' This behaviour might be controllable from the
>> Windows software, but if that's the hardware default, there's not much
>> to be done about it. (Besides get better hardware)
>
> So what brands do 'good' wireless mice? I always thought Logitech was
> supposed to be one of the best.
>
> Though with mice, the 'feel' is paramount, if you use it a great deal.

That's always been my impression,, but not working in the retail space
for years, I really don't have a chance in hell of keeping up with all
the model changes and features/misfeatures.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Rashkae

Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 PM
NoOp