Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default 8.10 problems

--- On Wed, 2/4/09, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>
> Subject: 8.10 problems
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wednesday, February 4, 2009, 8:43 PM
> I let 331 upgrades be finished and as I figured it had ZERO
> effect
> on the video problem.
>
> Karl

Did you ever tell the list just what nvidia
card you are using. Don't remember since you don't stay on topic very much. Go ahead and install the latest nvidia proprietary driver,nvidia-glx-180 in Intrepid, including the kernel-source and modaliases and report back if it worked, be sure to reboot before you decide and run xfix from recovery mode if it doesn't work out of the box. So what if it doesn't work for you, it can easily be fixed from a tty terminal as you should know.
Now that you have intrepid fully updated you can try all the nvidia proprietary drivers until you find one that works but remember what I said in my first post on this thread; try the newest first as the newest generally works with more cards and works better.
One more thing, I don't know why I'm replying to this after your comments on my first post on this thread; I must be a glutton for punishment or maybe it's because you finally did a full upgrade of intrepid as advised. You certainly would get better response from the group if you just followed it's advice and report back the results instead of flying off in circles. But you've been told that before.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> [...]
From memory it is a 6300 series nVidia.

> Don't remember since you don't stay on topic very much. Go ahead and install the latest nvidia proprietary driver,nvidia-glx-180 in Intrepid, including the kernel-source and modaliases and report back if it worked, be sure to reboot before you decide and run xfix from recovery mode if it doesn't work out of the box. So what if it doesn't work for you, it can easily be fixed from a tty terminal as you should know.

I cannot load any Ubuntu nVidia driver software because the sources
are down. Before that happened I got the 173 loaded and that is too new,
I got a thin line at the top of the screen.

Unless it is fixed today I will go to the nVida web page and get the
right driver for my system and install it. Alas this fix is good for
just one kernel. At the next kernel upgrade I have to do it again, like
Red Hat was/is.

> Now that you have intrepid fully updated you can try all the nvidia proprietary drivers until you find one that works but remember what I said in my first post on this thread; try the newest first as the newest generally works with more cards and works better.

I know that and it didn't work.
> One more thing, I don't know why I'm replying to this after your comments on my first post on this thread; I must be a glutton for punishment or maybe it's because you finally did a full upgrade of intrepid as advised. You certainly would get better response from the group if you just followed it's advice and report back the results instead of flying off in circles. But you've been told that before.
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

I was trying to get this thing working. It Failed to do this from
start and then the Ubuntu sources were turned off. It has not been good.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> [...]
Results: I found a non-ubuntu kernel image with the Sympatic package
system and installed it. Rebooted and it must be the image they use to
get the 600X600 image I now have. I give up. Support for a nVidia
computer using a 6300 series nVidia hardware is non-existant on 8.10
today. This is odd because Hardy has fine support for nVidia 6300 series.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
> I found a non-ubuntu kernel image with the Sympatic package
> system and installed it. Rebooted and it must be the image they use
> to get the 600X600 image I now have. I give up. Support for a nVidia
> computer using a 6300 series nVidia hardware is non-existant on 8.10
> today. This is odd because Hardy has fine support for nVidia 6300
> series.
>
> Karl

Hi, Karl,
Have you tried doing in automagically using envy-gtk? It's in the
repos and worked well for me.
Here's what it does:
------------------------
install the ATI or the NVIDIA driver
EnvyNG is an application written in Python which will download the
latest ATI or NVIDIA driver or the Legacy driver (for older cards)
(according to the model of your card) from ATI or Nvidia's website
and set it up for you handling dependencies (compilers, OpenGL,
etc.) which are required in order to build and use the driver.
Also, I'm pretty sure the repos are up, at least the main USA ones.
Are you having problems with them or getting error messages when you
reload your package list?
-------------------------
And the name of the program is, "syNAPtic," not, "syMPAtic."

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Karl Larsen

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
>
>> I found a non-ubuntu kernel image with the Sympatic package
>> system and installed it. Rebooted and it must be the image they use
>> to get the 600X600 image I now have. I give up. Support for a nVidia
>> computer using a 6300 series nVidia hardware is non-existant on 8.10
>> today. This is odd because Hardy has fine support for nVidia 6300
>> series.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Hi, Karl,
> Have you tried doing in automagically using envy-gtk? It's in the
> repos and worked well for me.
> Here's what it does:
> ------------------------
> install the ATI or the NVIDIA driver
> EnvyNG is an application written in Python which will download the
> latest ATI or NVIDIA driver or the Legacy driver (for older cards)
> (according to the model of your card) from ATI or Nvidia's website
> and set it up for you handling dependencies (compilers, OpenGL,
> etc.) which are required in order to build and use the driver.
> Also, I'm pretty sure the repos are up, at least the main USA ones.
> Are you having problems with them or getting error messages when you
> reload your package list?
> -------------------------
> And the name of the program is, "syNAPtic," not, "syMPAtic."
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Sorry about the syMPAtic...and the envoy-gtk I never heard of. But if it
goes to the nVidia web page it will,of course, find the right driver if
it checks for it on the computer.

There are a couple of repos I found yesterday that seemed to have nVidia
drivers and I got one. It was the wrong one for my 6300 series hardware.

I will try it and see if it works and report back.

Karl

Old 02-05-2009, 01:23 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
>
>> I found a non-ubuntu kernel image with the Sympatic package
>> system and installed it. Rebooted and it must be the image they use
>> to get the 600X600 image I now have. I give up. Support for a nVidia
>> computer using a 6300 series nVidia hardware is non-existant on 8.10
>> today. This is odd because Hardy has fine support for nVidia 6300
>> series.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Hi, Karl,
> Have you tried doing in automagically using envy-gtk? It's in the
> repos and worked well for me.
> Here's what it does:
> ------------------------
> install the ATI or the NVIDIA driver
> EnvyNG is an application written in Python which will download the
> latest ATI or NVIDIA driver or the Legacy driver (for older cards)
> (according to the model of your card) from ATI or Nvidia's website
> and set it up for you handling dependencies (compilers, OpenGL,
> etc.) which are required in order to build and use the driver.
> Also, I'm pretty sure the repos are up, at least the main USA ones.
> Are you having problems with them or getting error messages when you
> reload your package list?
> -------------------------
> And the name of the program is, "syNAPtic," not, "syMPAtic."
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Well I tried on this computer in 8.10 and get:
karl@Poor-old-8:~$ sudo apt-get install envoy-gtk
[sudo] password for karl:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package envoy-gtk
karl@Poor-old-8:~$
It appears it is no longer available, like everything else :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 07:23:05 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> I found a non-ubuntu kernel image with the Sympatic package system and
>>> installed it. Rebooted and it must be the image they use to get the
>>> 600X600 image I now have. I give up. Support for a nVidia computer
>>> using a 6300 series nVidia hardware is non-existant on 8.10 today.
>>> This is odd because Hardy has fine support for nVidia 6300 series.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Hi, Karl,
>> Have you tried doing in automagically using envy-gtk? It's in the
>> repos and worked well for me.
>> Here's what it does:
>> ------------------------
>> install the ATI or the NVIDIA driver
>> EnvyNG is an application written in Python which will download the
>> latest ATI or NVIDIA driver or the Legacy driver (for older cards)
>> (according to the model of your card) from ATI or Nvidia's website and
>> set it up for you handling dependencies (compilers, OpenGL, etc.) which
>> are required in order to build and use the driver. Also, I'm pretty
>> sure the repos are up, at least the main USA ones. Are you having
>> problems with them or getting error messages when you reload your
>> package list?
>> -------------------------
>> And the name of the program is, "syNAPtic," not, "syMPAtic."
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>
> Well I tried on this computer in 8.10 and get:
> karl@Poor-old-8:~$ sudo apt-get install envoy-gtk [sudo] password for
> karl:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package envoy-gtk
> karl@Poor-old-8:~$
> It appears it is no longer available, like everything else :-)
>
> Karl

Karl I really think you should try other repositories. This way you are
getting nowhere and no one can help you because we all depend on working
repositories.

Aart

Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Frans

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 07:23:05 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> I found a non-ubuntu kernel image with the Sympatic package system and
>>> installed it. Rebooted and it must be the image they use to get the
>>> 600X600 image I now have. I give up. Support for a nVidia computer
>>> using a 6300 series nVidia hardware is non-existant on 8.10 today.
>>> This is odd because Hardy has fine support for nVidia 6300 series.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Hi, Karl,
>> Have you tried doing in automagically using envy-gtk? It's in the
>> repos and worked well for me.
>> Here's what it does:
>> ------------------------
>> install the ATI or the NVIDIA driver
>> EnvyNG is an application written in Python which will download the
>> latest ATI or NVIDIA driver or the Legacy driver (for older cards)
>> (according to the model of your card) from ATI or Nvidia's website and
>> set it up for you handling dependencies (compilers, OpenGL, etc.) which
>> are required in order to build and use the driver. Also, I'm pretty
>> sure the repos are up, at least the main USA ones. Are you having
>> problems with them or getting error messages when you reload your
>> package list?
>> -------------------------
>> And the name of the program is, "syNAPtic," not, "syMPAtic."
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>
> Well I tried on this computer in 8.10 and get:
> karl@Poor-old-8:~$ sudo apt-get install envoy-gtk [sudo] password for
> karl:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package envoy-gtk
> karl@Poor-old-8:~$
> It appears it is no longer available, like everything else :-)
>
> Karl

In ubuntu 8.04 the package name is envyng-gtk

-Frans

Old 02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
gigli

Aart Koelewijn skrev:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 07:23:05 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> Hi, Karl,
>>> Have you tried doing in automagically using envy-gtk? It's in the
>>> repos and worked well for me.
>>> Here's what it does:
>>> ------------------------
>>> install the ATI or the NVIDIA driver
>>> EnvyNG is an application written in Python which will download the
>>> latest ATI or NVIDIA driver or the Legacy driver (for older cards)
>>> (according to the model of your card) from ATI or Nvidia's website and
>>> set it up for you handling dependencies (compilers, OpenGL, etc.) which
>>> are required in order to build and use the driver. Also, I'm pretty
>>> sure the repos are up, at least the main USA ones. Are you having
>>> problems with them or getting error messages when you reload your
>>> package list?
>>> -------------------------
>>> And the name of the program is, "syNAPtic," not, "syMPAtic."
>>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>>
>> Well I tried on this computer in 8.10 and get:
>> karl@Poor-old-8:~$ sudo apt-get install envoy-gtk [sudo] password for
>> karl:
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> E: Couldn't find package envoy-gtk
>> karl@Poor-old-8:~$
>> It appears it is no longer available, like everything else :-)
>>
>> Karl
>
> Karl I really think you should try other repositories. This way you are
> getting nowhere and no one can help you because we all depend on working
> repositories.
>
> Aart

its envyng, sudo apt-get install envyng-core
start a terminal - sudo envyng -t and follow instructions

Old 02-05-2009, 02:23 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 07:23:05 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>

>> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> Hi, Karl,
>>> Have you tried doing in automagically using envy-gtk? It's in the
>>> repos and worked well for me.
>>> Here's what it does:
>>> ------------------------
>>> install the ATI or the NVIDIA driver
>>> EnvyNG is an application written in Python which will download the
>>> latest ATI or NVIDIA driver or the Legacy driver (for older cards)
>>> (according to the model of your card) from ATI or Nvidia's website and
>>> set it up for you handling dependencies (compilers, OpenGL, etc.) which
>>> are required in order to build and use the driver. Also, I'm pretty
>>> sure the repos are up, at least the main USA ones. Are you having
>>> problems with them or getting error messages when you reload your
>>> package list?
>>> -------------------------
>>> And the name of the program is, "syNAPtic," not, "syMPAtic."
>>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>>

>> Well I tried on this computer in 8.10 and get:
>> karl@Poor-old-8:~$ sudo apt-get install envoy-gtk [sudo] password for
>> karl:
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> E: Couldn't find package envoy-gtk
>> karl@Poor-old-8:~$
>> It appears it is no longer available, like everything else :-)
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Karl I really think you should try other repositories. This way you are
> getting nowhere and no one can help you because we all depend on working
> repositories.
>
> Aart

That sounds like a great idea. How do I get the repositories your
talking about?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI