Old 12-28-2007, 12:54 PM
"Andrew P. Burgess"

Default Connecting to a Wireless Network in Gutsy

Hi; I've recently installed Ubuntu as a
virtual machine on my laptop, and I am trying to connect to a wireless network.
When I first ran the VM, it connected automatically, as I was able to browse,
update, etc. Now, it won't connect. I've looked around for help, but can't find
anything relevant. Part of the problem is (I think) that Ubuntu isn't seeing my
wireless card. When I put "iwconfig" into a terminal, I get this message:

*
lo********no wireless
extensions.
*
eth0****no wireless
extensions.
*
Can anyone help me? This is my first
experience with Linux, so I don't much, but I'm willing to give anything a
try!
Thanks,
Andrew

Old 12-28-2007, 02:18 PM
"Dick Dowdell"

If you're using VMware and bridged networking, only the host OS knows, or cares about wireless.* The guest OS is connecting through a VMware virtual device.

On Dec 28, 2007 8:54 AM, Andrew P. Burgess <
[...]

508-498-7919/508-528-4018

Old 12-28-2007, 03:49 PM
"Raseel Bhagat"

Hi Andrew,

virtual machine on my laptop, and I am trying to connect to a wireless network.
When I first ran the VM, it connected automatically, as I was able to browse,
update, etc. Now, it won't connect. I've looked around for help, but can't find
anything relevant. Part of the problem is (I think) that Ubuntu isn't seeing my
wireless card. When I put "iwconfig" into a terminal, I get this message:

*
lo********no wireless
extensions.
*
eth0****no wireless
extensions.

The Virtual OS, Ubuntu in your case, can only have 4 virtual ethernet cards. It does not have Wireless cards. When you connected the first time, it must have been via. NAT networking with the Host OS.

Thanks,
Raseel
www.opensourcedeal.com
www.raseel.in

Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Derek Broughton

Dick Dowdell wrote:

> If you're using VMware and bridged networking, only the host OS knows, or
> cares about wireless. The guest OS is connecting through a VMware virtual
> device.

That's true, in fact, of any of the networking types - in VMWare or
VirtualBox. The only networking devices the VM guest will see is a
virtual "wired" device. The only exception (and then only in some cases)
might be a USB network device (at least in some configurations, USB devices
can be passed through to the guest, but whether you could ever actually use
that device for networking I couldn't say - and it gives me a headache
thinking about it!).
--
derek

Old 12-28-2007, 04:13 PM
"Andrew P. Burgess"

If you're using VMware and bridged networking, only the host OS knows, or
cares about wireless.* The guest OS is connecting through a VMware virtual
device.

Thanks; All I needed to do was set the
networking to bridged.