Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Chris G

Default A question about anacron (ubuntu 8.10)

I've hunted around on Google and have looked in /etc but I can't
really find the answer to this.

Does a standard Ubuntu 8.10 installation run anacron by default and,
if so, what exactly does it run?

E.g. does it run anything from user crontabs or does it only run stuff
in cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.?

--
Chris Green

Old 02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Raquel

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:33:29 +0000
Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> I've hunted around on Google and have looked in /etc but I can't
> really find the answer to this.
>
> Does a standard Ubuntu 8.10 installation run anacron by default and,
> if so, what exactly does it run?
>
> E.g. does it run anything from user crontabs or does it only run
> stuff in cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.?
>
> --
> Chris Green

I recently did a fresh install of 8.10 on a new laptop. anacron was
installed by default. anacron will run not only the "stuff in
cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.", but also crontabs.

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:54:40AM -0800, Raquel wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:33:29 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > I've hunted around on Google and have looked in /etc but I can't
> > really find the answer to this.
> >
> > Does a standard Ubuntu 8.10 installation run anacron by default and,
> > if so, what exactly does it run?
> >
> > E.g. does it run anything from user crontabs or does it only run
> > stuff in cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.?
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green
>
> I recently did a fresh install of 8.10 on a new laptop. anacron was
> installed by default. anacron will run not only the "stuff in
> cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.", but also crontabs.

Thanks, so anything in my wife's desktop machine /etc/cron.daily will
get run by anacron when she turns the machine on. Excellent!

--
Chris Green

Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Raquel

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:20:57 +0000
Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:54:40AM -0800, Raquel wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:33:29 +0000
> > Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I've hunted around on Google and have looked in /etc but I can't
> > > really find the answer to this.
> > >
> > > Does a standard Ubuntu 8.10 installation run anacron by default
> > > and, if so, what exactly does it run?
> > >
> > > E.g. does it run anything from user crontabs or does it only run
> > > stuff in cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Chris Green
> >
> > I recently did a fresh install of 8.10 on a new laptop. anacron
> > was installed by default. anacron will run not only the "stuff in
> > cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.", but also crontabs.
> >
> Thanks, so anything in my wife's desktop machine /etc/cron.daily
> will get run by anacron when she turns the machine on. Excellent!
>
> --
> Chris Green

I'm not an expert but, I don't think that anacron runs past jobs that
should have run when the machine was off.

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

Old 02-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Raquel

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:29:14 -0800
Raquel <raquel@thericehouse.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:20:57 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:54:40AM -0800, Raquel wrote:

> > > I recently did a fresh install of 8.10 on a new laptop. anacron
> > > was installed by default. anacron will run not only the "stuff
> > > in cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.", but also crontabs.
> > >
> > Thanks, so anything in my wife's desktop machine /etc/cron.daily
> > will get run by anacron when she turns the machine on.
> > Excellent!
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green
> >

> I'm not an expert but, I don't think that anacron runs past jobs
> that should have run when the machine was off.
>
> --
> Raquel

For more info, go to a terminal window and do
man anacron

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

Old 02-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:29:14PM -0800, Raquel wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:20:57 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:54:40AM -0800, Raquel wrote:

> > > I recently did a fresh install of 8.10 on a new laptop. anacron
> > > was installed by default. anacron will run not only the "stuff in
> > > cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.", but also crontabs.
> > >
> > Thanks, so anything in my wife's desktop machine /etc/cron.daily
> > will get run by anacron when she turns the machine on. Excellent!
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green
> >

> I'm not an expert but, I don't think that anacron runs past jobs that
> should have run when the machine was off.

That's the whole point of anacron isn't it?

--
Chris Green

Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Raquel <raquel@thericehouse.net> said:
> I'm not an expert but, I don't think that anacron runs past jobs that
> should have run when the machine was off.

From the man page:

For each job, Anacron checks whether this job has been executed in the
last n days, where n is the period specified for that job.
If not, Anacron runs the job’s shell command, after waiting for the
number of minutes specified as the delay parameter.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Pete Clapham

Chris G wrote:
> I've hunted around on Google and have looked in /etc but I can't
> really find the answer to this.
>
> Does a standard Ubuntu 8.10 installation run anacron by default and,
> if so, what exactly does it run?
>
> E.g. does it run anything from user crontabs or does it only run stuff
> in cron.daily, cron.weekly, etc.?

OK, my installation includes anacron, and the "services" button
indicates that it is running. However, when I put a command into the
cron.daily directory it didn't run. What else do I have to do in order
to get it to run?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 11:29 -0500, Pete Clapham wrote:

> OK, my installation includes anacron, and the "services" button
> indicates that it is running. However, when I put a command into the
> cron.daily directory it didn't run. What else do I have to do in order
> to get it to run?

It runs at a specific time each day. The actual cron entries are
in /etc/crontab. You will see a line like:

25 6 * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts
--report /etc/cron.daily )

This means the "daily" cron tasks will run at 6:25 AM every day.
run-parts executes all the scripts in the /etc/cron.daily directory at
the indicated time.

Also be sure the script in /etc/cron.daily has the execute bits set.
e.g.

sudo chown 755 script_name

You can do a dry run test to see what will be executed by running:

run-parts --test /etc/cron.daily

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
"Walton Hoops"

This may be a dumb question, but I have to check... did you ensure your
script was executable?
Also ensure
ps aux | grep cron
returns something (other than the grep command ;-))
Also you can try putting some echos in your script... The output should get
mailed to root, which if you are the first user set up on the machine, you
will get.
Walton