Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Pete Clapham

Default SAMBA problem -- Backup Domain Controller doesn't work

Hi, all --

I've set up a SAMBA domain with a PDC, BDC, and about 18 workstations.*
The PDC works fine, in that the workstations can sign onto the domain,
use shares from the PDC, etc.* The BDC can sign onto the PDC (It has a
machine account in the smbpasswd file), but workstations cannot use
shares established on the BDC.* The smb.conf files on both servers
appear OK.

First, can anybody advise me how to enable users to access shared
directories on the BDC?

Second, can anybody advise me how to check to see if the BDC is really
serving as a backup controller to the PDC?

Thanks for your help.

cheers,

pete

Old 02-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Pete Clapham <peteclapham@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Second, can anybody advise me how to check to see if the BDC is really
> serving as a backup controller to the PDC?

My shot at this ... create a file and put it on the desktop of one of
the Win accounts within the domain. Log out. Pull plug on PDC. Log
back in. Theoretically the BDC should handle the domain log in and
that file should be on the desktop.

Disclaimer: I've never tried this! And I've had my share of Samba PDC
nightmares!

--
Hal