Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Thufir

Default java plugin for mozilla

Except for the fact that it doesn't work there are no error messages I
can find as to why java.com would fail to detect java:

thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$ sudo aptitude search sun-java6-plugin
i sun-java6-plugin - The Java(TM)
Plug-in, Java SE 6
thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$ sudo update-java-alternatives -a -v
resetting java alternatives
thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_10"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode, sharing)
thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config java

There is only 1 program which provides java
(/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java). Nothing to configure.
thufir@arrakis:~$

aboutlugins

Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10-b33

File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-vm Java Yes
application/x-java-applet Java Yes

apparently the solution is to create a symlink? I'm not clear what needs
to be linked to what.

thanks,

Thufir

Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Bas Roufs

Dear Thufir

> Except for the fact that it doesn't work there are no error messages I
> can find as to why java.com would fail to detect java:

Till recently, I frequently had similar and other JAVA problems in
Firefox running on Kubuntu Gutsy and later on Kubuntu Intrepid. But
now, I have a combination of JAVA related packages which together seem
to effectively cover all my JAVA needs:
* Open JDK Java 6 Web Start.
* Sun Java 6 Webstart;
* IcedTea Web Browser plug-in for Firefox
* Visual VM ('all-in-one JAVA troubleshooting tool').
I hope this helps.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

--
===============
Viaconsensus

Old 02-04-2009, 05:34 PM
NoOp

On 02/04/2009 12:58 AM, Thufir wrote:
> Except for the fact that it doesn't work there are no error messages I
> can find as to why java.com would fail to detect java:
>

> thufir@arrakis:~$
> thufir@arrakis:~$
> thufir@arrakis:~$
> thufir@arrakis:~$ sudo aptitude search sun-java6-plugin
> i sun-java6-plugin - The Java(TM)
> Plug-in, Java SE 6
> thufir@arrakis:~$
> thufir@arrakis:~$ sudo update-java-alternatives -a -v
> resetting java alternatives
> thufir@arrakis:~$
> thufir@arrakis:~$ java -version
> java version "1.6.0_10"
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode, sharing)
> thufir@arrakis:~$
> thufir@arrakis:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
>
> There is only 1 program which provides java
> (/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java). Nothing to configure.
> thufir@arrakis:~$
>

> aboutlugins
>
> Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10-b33
>
> File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
> Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10
>
> MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
> application/x-java-vm Java Yes
> application/x-java-applet Java Yes
>

> apparently the solution is to create a symlink? I'm not clear what needs
> to be linked to what.

No clue as to what you were refering to, but the answer for mozilla is
that you need to create a symlink in your .mozilla/plugins folder to the
java plugin (be sure to completely uninstall the ubuntu repo plugin
first). The symlink (in my case I have java 11 installed is:

/usr/lib/jvm/jre1.6.0_11/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

So to create the above for _my_ java version, I did:

$ cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
$ rm libjava*
[Note: I remove any older symlinks first]
$ ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/jre1.6.0_11/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Now I have java 11 available to _all_ of my mozilla applications
(SeaMonkey 1.1.4, SeaMonkey 2.03apre, FireFox 3.0.5).

You need to search for libjavaplugin_oji.so to find where your's are
located:

$ locate libjavaplugin_oji.so

To install version 11:

1. Download the .bin file from Sun:
<http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com:80>
Linux (self-extracting file) filesize: 19.18 MB
or
Linux x64 * filesize: 17.58 MB
depending upon your system.

2. Copy the file to /usr/lib/jvm (32bit in this case):

$ chmod a+x jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
$ sudo cp jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin /usr/lib/jvm/

3. Install:

$ cd /usr/lib/jvm/
$ sudo sh jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin

Use the spacebar to scroll through the agreement & answer 'yes'. The
.bin will then be installed in /usr/lib/jvm/jre1.6.0_11/
Now create your symlink in ~/.mozilla/plugins as shown above.

Restart Fx or SeaMonkey & go to http://www.java.com & test again - note
that you must have cookies enabled to do the test.

Added note: Ubuntu's Firefox won't pick up the new version via the
symlink unless you have removed/uninstalled the sun plugin:

$ sudo apt-get purge sun-java6-plugin

Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Thufir

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:00:02 +0100, Bas Roufs wrote:

> Dear Thufir
>
>> Except for the fact that it doesn't work there are no error messages I
>> can find as to why java.com would fail to detect java:
>

> Till recently, I frequently had similar and other JAVA problems in
> Firefox running on Kubuntu Gutsy and later on Kubuntu Intrepid. But now,
> I have a combination of JAVA related packages which together seem to
> effectively cover all my JAVA needs: * Open JDK Java 6 Web Start.
> * Sun Java 6 Webstart;
> * IcedTea Web Browser plug-in for Firefox * Visual VM ('all-in-one JAVA
> troubleshooting tool'). I hope this helps.
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

Thanks. Currently I just have Sun java and got the plugin working by
uninstalling and then re-installing the plugin. (Silly that I didn't try
that previously.)

thanks,

Thufir