Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Upgrades and Flash

>>> Big Snip
> > Bart, I don't think YouTube is at fault.
> > I played the above link fine. Right clicking the video
> gives you a flash setup.
> > Also went to YouTube and played several
> > embedded video in different sections and
> > all played.
> > Have you looked at aboutlugins to see if
> > flash is listed?
>
> Hmm...odd that collegehumor played, but youtube won't.
>
> Aboutlugins gives...
> x-shockwave-flash is libflashplayer.so, Shockwave Flash
> 10.0 r15
> video/flv is libtotem-basic-plugin.so, Totem 2.24.3 plugin
> Java is libjavaplugin_oji.so, Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10
> Futuresplash is also handled by the libflashplayer.so
> plugin.

Aboutlugins looks ok to me but no guru here. Got another browser installed to see
if the one your using is at fault. Assuming your using FF. I have also had the occasion of an email link not playing and never could get it to play. I assume you went to the youtube site and tried playing some of the videos that way. It might be the email links that don't work properly.
You didn't mention your browser, but if it's a mozilla type/variation I believe you either have to have a link to libflashplayer.so in Mozilla/plugins or a copy of it there. I had to add it as it wasn't automagically linked there. If your using a single user setup it needs to be in ~/.moxilla/firefox, no disreguard, as it is not there(plugins dir) in intrepid.
Also check update-alternative in /etc to see if you have the right flashplugin as default. Or wait for more expert help as I'm just listing things I've done in the past such as "sudo dpkg-reconfigure flashplugin-nonfree". Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 AM
Leonard Chatagnier