-   -   Driver Installion problem for NetGear wireless card (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/23966-driver-installion-problem-netgear-wireless-card.html)

Larry Shields 12-28-2007 04:12 AM

Driver Installion problem for NetGear wireless card

Ok fellows - - I am still having problems in getting my NetGear Wireless
card working, so I am in need of some wireless guru to help me out...

The Driver that is installed shows in the attached script, which is
invalid...

Now how does one remove that driver to try another one...???

Using ndiswrapper -r to remove the driver doesn't work, so where is this
driver located, maybe I can manually delete it...???

Any help on getting my wireless card working would be very much
appreciated...

Thanks Larry

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

net111v2 : driver installed
device (0846:6A00) present (alternate driver: rtl8187)
netwg111 : invalid driver!

Derek Broughton 12-28-2007 12:34 PM

Larry Shields wrote:

> Ok fellows - - I am still having problems in getting my NetGear Wireless
> card working, so I am in need of some wireless guru to help me out...
>
> The Driver that is installed shows in the attached script, which is
> invalid...
>
> Now how does one remove that driver to try another one...???
>
> Using ndiswrapper -r to remove the driver doesn't work, so where is this
> driver located, maybe I can manually delete it...???
>
> Any help on getting my wireless card working would be very much
> appreciated...

I had what looks like exactly that problem last week (different wireless
card, though). I ended up purging ndiswrapper, delete anything left
under /etc/ndiswrapper, then reinstall ndiswrapper.
--
derek

"Dick Dowdell" 12-28-2007 02:14 PM

Driver Installion problem for NetGear wireless card

Which NetGear card is it?* I successfully installed a WG311v3 yesterday and needed to build the latest version of ndiswrapper from Source Forge.* It's working fine, but requires a "modprobe ndiswrapper" command after a reboot.* I must be missing something.

On Dec 28, 2007 8:34 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Larry Shields wrote:

> Ok fellows - - I am still having problems in getting my NetGear Wireless
> card working, so I am in need of some wireless guru to help me out...
>
> The Driver that is installed shows in the attached script, which is

> invalid...
>
> Now how does one remove that driver to try another one...???
>
> Using ndiswrapper -r to remove the driver doesn't work, so where is this
> driver located, maybe I can manually delete it...???

> Any help on getting my wireless card working would be very much
> appreciated...

I had what looks like exactly that problem last week (different wireless
card, though). *I ended up purging ndiswrapper, delete anything left

under /etc/ndiswrapper, then reinstall ndiswrapper.
--
derek

Dick Dowdell
508-498-7919/508-528-4018

Derek Broughton 12-28-2007 02:30 PM

Dick Dowdell wrote:

> Which NetGear card is it? I successfully installed a WG311v3 yesterday
> and
> needed to build the latest version of ndiswrapper from Source Forge. It's
> working fine, but requires a "modprobe ndiswrapper" command after a
> reboot. I must be missing something.

ndiswrapper needs to be added to /etc/modules, that's all.
--
derek

"Dick Dowdell" 12-28-2007 06:30 PM

Driver Installion problem for NetGear wireless card

Thanks, Derek!* I learn something new everyday.

Derek Broughton 12-28-2007 07:05 PM

Dick Dowdell wrote:

> Thanks, Derek! I learn something new everyday.

I still don't understand why "ndiswrapper -m" doesn't do that...

--
derek

NoOp 12-29-2007 09:18 PM

On 12/27/2007 09:12 PM, Larry Shields wrote:
> Ok fellows - - I am still having problems in getting my NetGear Wireless
> card working, so I am in need of some wireless guru to help me out...
>
> The Driver that is installed shows in the attached script, which is
> invalid...
>
> Now how does one remove that driver to try another one...???
>
> Using ndiswrapper -r to remove the driver doesn't work, so where is this
> driver located, maybe I can manually delete it...???
>
> Any help on getting my wireless card working would be very much
> appreciated...
>
> Thanks Larry

Install ndisgtk:

sudo apt-get install ndisgtk

You can add/remove drivers easily in ndiswrapper with that (it will show
up in Applications|Internet if I recall correctly).

Interestingly enough, I was trying to get an old Linksys WUSB11 2.8
working on my son's laptop last week (works on his desktop) and never
did get it to work. Tried just about everything. Finally my other son
gave me his Dynex PCMCIA card to try; plugged it in, Gutsy informed me
that I needed a restricted driver (Broadcom chipset), provided a link to
download it, I clicked yes, and it loaded the driver. Rebooted and
turned it on in the restricted drivers manager
(System|Administration|Restricted Drivers) and the darn thing came up
with all lights and started working! Blew my mind as I previously had to
do handstands to get a Belkin PCMCIA card to work in the same laptop
(Thinkpad T21).

Larry Shields 12-30-2007 11:33 AM

NoOp wrote:

[...]

Hello NoOp,

I downloaded ndisgtk, and tried the .inf file for winxp, that came with
the NetGear wireless adapter, the wg111v2 from there CD...But it does
not seem to connect to the modem downstairs...

I did put the network password in where it shows, password type WPA,
the network name essid I used "gibson" now I am not sure if this is
correct or not...???

But when I try to see what iwlist wlan0 scan tells me it shows the essid
name as "2wire363" Now where would that come from, any idea...???

I'll attach the output of ifconfig, route, and iwlist's scan for you to
look at...

Thanks for the help, I am really in need of it...

Larry

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
73 de Larry/wd9esu 31yr's A.R.O.

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:D3:3B:FC:EA
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:18 Base address:0xe700

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:22264 (21.7 KB) TX bytes:22264 (21.7 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1E:2A:16:78:FC
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

wlan0:ava Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1E:2A:16:78:FC
inet addr:169.254.7.129 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

Kernel IP routing table
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 U 1000 0 0 wlan0

wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:19:E4:0D:47:41
ESSID:"2WIRE363"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
Mode:Managed
Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
Quality:43/100 Signal level:-68 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Extra:bcn_int=100
Extra:atim=0

NoOp 12-30-2007 06:16 PM

On 12/30/2007 04:33 AM, Larry Shields wrote:

> Hello NoOp,
>
> I downloaded ndisgtk, and tried the .inf file for winxp, that came with
> the NetGear wireless adapter, the wg111v2 from there CD...But it does
> not seem to connect to the modem downstairs...
>
> I did put the network password in where it shows, password type WPA,
> the network name essid I used "gibson" now I am not sure if this is
> correct or not...???
>
> But when I try to see what iwlist wlan0 scan tells me it shows the essid
> name as "2wire363" Now where would that come from, any idea...???

Your modem:

<http://support.2wire.com/cgi-bin/twowire.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_sid=ZkQEKwUi&p_lva=&p_li=&p_faqid= 1199&p_created=1179861438&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnR fYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMTImcF9wcm9kc z0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**>

Also see:
<http://support.2wire.com/cgi-bin/twowire.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=eronlS9h&p_lva=&p_sp=&p_li=>

Derek Broughton 12-31-2007 01:26 AM

NoOp wrote:

> On 12/30/2007 04:33 AM, Larry Shields wrote:
>

>> But when I try to see what iwlist wlan0 scan tells me it shows the essid
>> name as "2wire363" Now where would that come from, any idea...???
>
> Your modem:

<http://support.2wire.com/cgi-bin/twowire.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_sid=ZkQEKwUi&p_lva=&p_li=&p_faqid= 1199&p_created=1179861438&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnR fYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMTImcF9wcm9kc z0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**>

I trust you realize that you don't just get to choose the essid from the
client end - you have to set it in the modem (or use the default - but
that's _never_ a good idea. You probably have no idea how many _different_
networks named "linksys" you can find in the average city core :-) )
--
derek