Old 12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Larry Shields

Default Driver Installion problem for NetGear wireless card

Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>

>> On 12/30/2007 04:33 AM, Larry Shields wrote:
>>

>>> But when I try to see what iwlist wlan0 scan tells me it shows the essid
>>> name as "2wire363" Now where would that come from, any idea...???
>>>
>> Your modem:
>>

> <http://support.2wire.com/cgi-bin/twowire.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_sid=ZkQEKwUi&p_lva=&p_li=&p_faqid= 1199&p_created=1179861438&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnR fYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMTImcF9wcm9kc z0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**>
>
> I trust you realize that you don't just get to choose the essid from the
> client end - you have to set it in the modem (or use the default - but
> that's _never_ a good idea. You probably have no idea how many _different_
> networks named "linksys" you can find in the average city core :-) )

Hello Derek,

Ok let me say this, I have the modem setup, and I am trying to get my
Netgear WG111v2 USB card to connect to it...I have tried using
ndiswrapper, I can see that I do infact have wlan0, and can scan using
iwlist etc...Now I have noticed that in it's configuration it does not
show a gateway ip address just a (*), so might this be needed...???

When I hook up a hard drive with winXP on it, I have configure it to
work, only because they gave me a CD that had an install program on
it...So it does work, that I know, but for the life of me, I can not get
it to work using Ubuntu 7.10...

Maybe I do not have the password in the correct place, that the
Charter.com cable fellow gave me when he installed the cable to the TV &
Modem...???

Or might it be the name used in the ( essid ), would that make a
difference...???

Here is something else, since the drivers used in winxp were on the CD
that he gave me and it works, I used the same .inf & .sys in
ndiswrapper, but it's still a no-go at this point...

I must have one, or two things not setup correctly for it to not work...

The support link shown in the above shows how to setup a MODEM not the
USB card...

Thanks for the reply...

Larry

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 12-31-2007, 07:11 PM
NoOp

On 12/31/2007 03:00 AM, Larry Shields wrote:

> The support link shown in the above shows how to setup a MODEM not the
> USB card...
>
> Thanks for the reply...
>
> Larry

When you click on the network manager are you not able to set the
network name, encryption type and password? The reason that I gave you
the link for the modem and the 2wire questions is so that you can review
and/or set the modem settings, and then use that information to set your
WG111 from the network manager.

- Do you have MAC Filtering turned on or off?
- Did you use the 2wire WEP or WPN key?
<http://support.2wire.com/cgi-bin/twowire.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=134&p_created=1042150505&p_sid =tNO1aCUi&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBf Z3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMTImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYX RzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview =1>
[Note: The HomePortal default settings include wireless security (WEP).
To connect to the HomePortal, you will need to configure the third-party
wireless adapter with the HomePortal security key. This is a 64-bit,
hexidecimal WEP key and is located on the bottom of the HomePortal unit
near the serial number. It appears in brackets (e.g. [0123456789]).]
<http://support.2wire.com/cgi-bin/twowire.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1291&p_created=1044891818&p_si d=tNO1aCUi&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnB fZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMTImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jY XRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topvie w=1>
[For maximum security and by default, your HomePortal arrives from the
factory with WEP or WPA enabled. To connect to HomePortal, Configure
your computer's wireless adapter with a unique HomePortal network key,
also called a "pass key" or an "encryption key." The default key is the
10-digit number printed inside the brackets [ ].that you can find on the
bottom of your HomePortal.]

You can/or should be able to do all of that from the Network Manager applet.

This may be of some help:

Also: WG111v2 manual is here:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wg111v2.asp

Old 12-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Derek Broughton

Larry Shields wrote:

> Ok let me say this, I have the modem setup, and I am trying to get my
> Netgear WG111v2 USB card to connect to it...I have tried using
> ndiswrapper, I can see that I do infact have wlan0, and can scan using
> iwlist etc...Now I have noticed that in it's configuration it does not
> show a gateway ip address just a (*), so might this be needed...???

You won't get a gateway ip address until after you associate to the access
point - it shouldn't have an IP address for the interface either. Those
should be set by DHCP - probably from the modem. Now, if the modem isn't a
complete router, you may need to configure that manually and it gets much
more complex.

> When I hook up a hard drive with winXP on it, I have configure it to
> work, only because they gave me a CD that had an install program on
> it...So it does work, that I know, but for the life of me, I can not get
> it to work using Ubuntu 7.10...
>
> Maybe I do not have the password in the correct place, that the
> Charter.com cable fellow gave me when he installed the cable to the TV &
> Modem...???
>
> Or might it be the name used in the ( essid ), would that make a
> difference...???

That's what we were saying - the modem appears to be configured with ESSID
2wire363, therefore you MUST use that value in your configuration.

> The support link shown in the above shows how to setup a MODEM not the
> USB card...

Yes, because if you want to use "gibson" for your essid, you're going to
need to modify the modem setup.
--
derek