Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Upgrades and Flash

--- On Tue, 2/3/09, Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> From: Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
> Subject: Upgrades and Flash
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 5:53 PM
> I've noticed since a recent spate of updates that when I
> go to Youtube,
> the video window is blank. Just a black square.
>
> No errors appear or seem to be logged.
>
> I've uninstalled and reinstalled the nonfree flash
> plugin via synaptic,
> no change.
>
> Anyone else see this or have an idea how to get around it?
>
> -
Assuming your using intrepid up-to date, are you using 10.0.15.3ubuntu1~intrepid version of the plugin? I also switched to sun jav6 but don't know if that had any effect. With the 10 version on my 64 bit machine, I haven't found an embedded video that I can't play. I did have that problem you describe before going to the above changes. If you like, I'll be glad to test
the video for its url.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Assuming your using intrepid up-to date, are you using
> 10.0.15.3ubuntu1~intrepid version of the plugin? I also switched to
> sun jav6 but don't know if that had any effect. With the 10 version
> on my 64 bit machine, I haven't found an embedded video that I can't
> play. I did have that problem you describe before going to the above
> changes. If you like, I'll be glad to test the video for its url.

flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.15.3ubuntu1~intrepid1 is installed. I also have
sun-java6-jre version 6-10-0ubuntu2 (jre and jdk and bin).

The videos were multiple links on youtube, all videos had the same results.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
>> Assuming your using intrepid up-to date, are you using
>> 10.0.15.3ubuntu1~intrepid version of the plugin? I also switched to
>> sun jav6 but don't know if that had any effect. With the 10 version
>> on my 64 bit machine, I haven't found an embedded video that I can't
>> play. I did have that problem you describe before going to the above
>> changes. If you like, I'll be glad to test the video for its url.
>
> flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.15.3ubuntu1~intrepid1 is installed. I also have
> sun-java6-jre version 6-10-0ubuntu2 (jre and jdk and bin).
>
> The videos were multiple links on youtube, all videos had the same results.

Second bit of info...can someone help confirm this?

I went to collegehumor (www.collegehumor.com/video:1899257) and the
video there opened up and played.

Do the videos on collegehumor play in a similar manner to youtube? I
thought they were both embedded flash-based systems...if so, this must
be something with YouTube?

Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> >> Assuming your using intrepid up-to date, are you
> using
> >> 10.0.15.3ubuntu1~intrepid version of the plugin? I
> also switched to
> >> sun jav6 but don't know if that had any
> effect. With the 10 version
> >> on my 64 bit machine, I haven't found an
> embedded video that I can't
> >> play. I did have that problem you describe before
> going to the above
> >> changes. If you like, I'll be glad to test
> the video for its url.
> >
> > flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.15.3ubuntu1~intrepid1 is
> installed. I also have
> > sun-java6-jre version 6-10-0ubuntu2 (jre and jdk and
> bin).
> >
> > The videos were multiple links on youtube, all videos
> had the same results.
>
> Second bit of info...can someone help confirm this?
>
> I went to collegehumor (www.collegehumor.com/video:1899257)
> and the
> video there opened up and played.
>
> Do the videos on collegehumor play in a similar manner to
> youtube? I
> thought they were both embedded flash-based systems...if
> so, this must
> be something with YouTube?

Bart, I don't think YouTube is at fault.
I played the above link fine. Right clicking the video gives you a flash setup.
Also went to YouTube and played several
embedded video in different sections and
all played.
Have you looked at aboutlugins to see if
flash is listed?

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> [...]

Hmm...odd that collegehumor played, but youtube won't.

Aboutlugins gives...
x-shockwave-flash is libflashplayer.so, Shockwave Flash 10.0 r15
video/flv is libtotem-basic-plugin.so, Totem 2.24.3 plugin
Java is libjavaplugin_oji.so, Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10
Futuresplash is also handled by the libflashplayer.so plugin.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Chris Mohler

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Bart Silverstrim
<bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:
[...]
> Aboutlugins gives...
> x-shockwave-flash is libflashplayer.so, Shockwave Flash 10.0 r15
> video/flv is libtotem-basic-plugin.so, Totem 2.24.3 plugin
> Java is libjavaplugin_oji.so, Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10
> Futuresplash is also handled by the libflashplayer.so plugin.

Try either:
A - temporarily rename your ~/.firefox folder or
B - create a new user and log in as them

And try youtube again - then you will know if it's related to your
settings/extensions/etc or if it's system-wide...

Chris

Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Bart Silverstrim
> <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Aboutlugins gives...
>> x-shockwave-flash is libflashplayer.so, Shockwave Flash 10.0 r15
>> video/flv is libtotem-basic-plugin.so, Totem 2.24.3 plugin
>> Java is libjavaplugin_oji.so, Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10
>> Futuresplash is also handled by the libflashplayer.so plugin.
>
> Try either:
> A - temporarily rename your ~/.firefox folder or
> B - create a new user and log in as them
>
> And try youtube again - then you will know if it's related to your
> settings/extensions/etc or if it's system-wide...

Interesting. Did a mv ./.mozilla ./.mozilla.bak and re-ran Firefox. Of
course my bookmarks, etc., are gone, but youtube played fine.

Hmm...