Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Strange GNOME message captured

I have been working on things and when I rebooted to Hardy I got the
odd message which is:

I had to copy this from the panel put up by Hardy:

There is an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon.

Some things like themes,sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
application did not send a reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in

Does anyone else get this with their Ubuntu. Is it serious?

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 04:48:41PM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I have been working on things and when I rebooted to Hardy I got the
> odd message which is:
>
> I had to copy this from the panel put up by Hardy:
>
> There is an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon.
>
> Some things like themes,sounds, or background settings may not work
> correctly.
>
> The last error message was:
>
> Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
> application did not send a reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
> network connection was broken.
>
> GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in
>
> Does anyone else get this with their Ubuntu. Is it serious?

Not serious, but irritating. Widgets don't look right, some shortcut
keys (e.g. volume control) don't work.

You can open a terminal window and try to start gnome-settings-daemon
manually (by typing 'gnome-settings-daemon'). If it fails to start,
report the error message you get.

Marius Gedminas
--
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:11 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 04:48:41PM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> I have been working on things and when I rebooted to Hardy I got the
>> odd message which is:
>>
>> I had to copy this from the panel put up by Hardy:
>>
>> There is an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon.
>>
>> Some things like themes,sounds, or background settings may not work
>> correctly.
>>
>> The last error message was:
>>
>> Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
>> application did not send a reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
>> network connection was broken.
>>
>> GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in
>>
>> Does anyone else get this with their Ubuntu. Is it serious?
>>

> Not serious, but irritating. Widgets don't look right, some shortcut
> keys (e.g. volume control) don't work.
>
> You can open a terminal window and try to start gnome-settings-daemon
> manually (by typing 'gnome-settings-daemon'). If it fails to start,
> report the error message you get.
>
> Marius Gedminas

I am on Intrepid today. I will boot Hardy and try to get the error
message(s).

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI