Old 02-03-2009, 10:45 PM
jerry

Default Need help with wireless card.

I am using Kubuntu 8.04.2.
lspci says I have Atheros Communications Inc. ar2413 802.11 bg NIC (REV 01).
I had been using kernel 2.6.24-16-generic and could enter the ESSID and
password, and the wireless would work.

A few weeks ago the updates installed a new kernel 2.6.24-23-generic and
since then I cannot even get the card recognized by iwconfig.
iwconfig says
lo no wireless extensions
eth0 no wireless extensions

I figure there must be something not implemented in the new kernel that
prevents the wireless from working, but I cannot find it. Even if I did
find out what it was I would not know how to correct it short of
recompiling the kernel.

I would appreciate any help to get the wireless card working with the
new kernel.

I used the program kompare to diff /proc/modules while running each kernel.
I saved the results of diff /proc/modules with each kernel and kompare
says only the first 16 lines of the modules for 2.6.24-16 are different
and are not present in 2.6.24-23.
Here are those lines:
ipv6 267780 8 - Live 0xfa081000
rfcomm 41744 2 - Live 0xf9811000
l2cap 25728 13 rfcomm, Live 0xf96e6000
bluetooth 61156 4 rfcomm,l2cap, Live 0xf9801000
vboxdrv 61104 0 - Live 0xf96d6000
mga 61952 2 - Live 0xf96bb000
drm 82580 3 mga, Live 0xf96a5000
ppdev 10372 0 - Live 0xf9687000
speedstep_lib 6532 0 - Live 0xf966d000
cpufreq_userspace 5284 0 - Live 0xf9675000
cpufreq_powersave 2688 0 - Live 0xf9654000
cpufreq_stats 7104 0 - Live 0xf9631000
cpufreq_conservative 8712 0 - Live 0xf967e000
cpufreq_ondemand 9740 0 - Live 0xf967a000
freq_table 5536 2 cpufreq_stats,cpufreq_ondemand, Live 0xf966a000
dock 11280 0 - Live 0xf8b99000

I also have the diff from the config files for both kernels from /boot:
153a154,157
> CONFIG_CGROUPS=y
> CONFIG_CGROUP_CPUACCT=y
> # CONFIG_CGROUP_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_CGROUP_NS=y
157c161
< # CONFIG_CIFS_EXPERIMENTAL is not set
---
> CONFIG_CIFS_EXPERIMENTAL=y
158a163
> CONFIG_CIFS_UPCALL=y
250c255
< # CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA is not set
---
> CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA=y
331a337
> CONFIG_FAIR_CGROUP_SCHED=y
332a339
> # CONFIG_FAIR_USER_SCHED is not set
591a599
> CONFIG_ISCSI_TCP=m
692c700
< # CONFIG_NETDEVICES_MULTIQUEUE is not set
---
> CONFIG_NETDEVICES_MULTIQUEUE=y
795a804
> CONFIG_NET_TULIP=y
810a820
> CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_EVENTS=y
820a831
> CONFIG_NF_CT_NETLINK=m
1095c1106
< # CONFIG_SSB_DEBUG is not set
---
> CONFIG_SSB_DEBUG=y
1149a1161,1164
> CONFIG_TULIP=m
> # CONFIG_TULIP_MMIO is not set
> # CONFIG_TULIP_MWI is not set
> # CONFIG_TULIP_NAPI is not set
1415c1430
< # CONFIG_AX25_DAMA_SLAVE is not set
---
> CONFIG_AX25_DAMA_SLAVE=y
1426c1441
< # CONFIG_B43_DEBUG is not set
---
> CONFIG_B43_DEBUG=y
1539d1553
< # CONFIG_CGROUPS is not set
1555a1570
> CONFIG_CPUSETS=y
1601a1617
> CONFIG_DRM_VIA_CHROME9=m
1736,1737d1751
< # CONFIG_FAIR_CGROUP_SCHED is not set
< CONFIG_FAIR_USER_SCHED=y
2073d2086
< CONFIG_ISCSI_TCP=m
2388d2400
< CONFIG_NET_TULIP=y
2396d2407
< CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_EVENTS=y
2401d2411
< CONFIG_NF_CT_NETLINK=m
2527a2538
> CONFIG_PROC_PID_CPUSET=y
2905,2908d2915
< CONFIG_TULIP=m
< # CONFIG_TULIP_MMIO is not set
< # CONFIG_TULIP_MWI is not set
< # CONFIG_TULIP_NAPI is not set
3104c3111
< CONFIG_VERSION_SIGNATURE="Ubuntu 2.6.24-16.30-generic"
---
> CONFIG_VERSION_SIGNATURE="Ubuntu 2.6.24-23.48-generic"
(END)

Thanks
Jerry

Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 AM
NoOp

On 02/03/2009 03:45 PM, jerry wrote:
> I am using Kubuntu 8.04.2.
> lspci says I have Atheros Communications Inc. ar2413 802.11 bg NIC (REV 01).
> I had been using kernel 2.6.24-16-generic and could enter the ESSID and
> password, and the wireless would work.
>
> A few weeks ago the updates installed a new kernel 2.6.24-23-generic and
> since then I cannot even get the card recognized by iwconfig.
> iwconfig says
> lo no wireless extensions
> eth0 no wireless extensions
>
> I figure there must be something not implemented in the new kernel that
> prevents the wireless from working, but I cannot find it. Even if I did
> find out what it was I would not know how to correct it short of
> recompiling the kernel.
>
> I would appreciate any help to get the wireless card working with the
> new kernel.

Does the card still work if you boot into -16?

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bhardy+%2BAther os+%2Bar2413>

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Atheros
[search on atheros from there]
** OT: anyone notice that Google has taken over help.ubuntu.com?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Madwifi

Might be of help.

Do you have the -23 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-23-generic
installed? Perhaps:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-restricted-modules madwifi-tools

might work?

Old 02-04-2009, 06:05 PM
jerry

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/03/2009 03:45 PM, jerry wrote:
>
>> I am using Kubuntu 8.04.2.
>> lspci says I have Atheros Communications Inc. ar2413 802.11 bg NIC (REV 01).
>> I had been using kernel 2.6.24-16-generic and could enter the ESSID and
>> password, and the wireless would work.
>>
>> A few weeks ago the updates installed a new kernel 2.6.24-23-generic and
>> since then I cannot even get the card recognized by iwconfig.
>> iwconfig says
>> lo no wireless extensions
>> eth0 no wireless extensions
>>
>> I figure there must be something not implemented in the new kernel that
>> prevents the wireless from working, but I cannot find it. Even if I did
>> find out what it was I would not know how to correct it short of
>> recompiling the kernel.
>>
>> I would appreciate any help to get the wireless card working with the
>> new kernel.
>>

> Does the card still work if you boot into -16?
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bhardy+%2BAther os+%2Bar2413>
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Atheros
> [search on atheros from there]
> ** OT: anyone notice that Google has taken over help.ubuntu.com?
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Madwifi
>
> Might be of help.
>
> Do you have the -23 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-23-generic
> installed? Perhaps:
>
> sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-restricted-modules madwifi-tools
>
> might work?

Great it works. I just installed the restricted drivers and
madwifi-tools and was able to enter ESSID and password and was on line.
Thanks a lot NoOp. I will post a new question to find out how to save
those settings.
Jerry