Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Flickering video on Asus motherboard with ATI video

I have Kubuntu 8.10 installed on a machine with an ASUS motherboard,
onboard ATI graphics:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=639&l4=0&model=2064&m odelmenu=1

The system graphics seem very sluggish (switching photos in digikam is
slow) and video flickers. Running "aticonfig --initial" helped
somewhat, but not completely. I am using the proprietary fglrx driver.
Opening the Proprietary Drivers windows informs me that the machine is
using "a different version" of the driver, for what that's worth.
Looking in Adept, I have the only version available, installed.

What can I do to start troubleshooting this issue? Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have Kubuntu 8.10 installed on a machine with an ASUS motherboard,
> onboard ATI graphics:
> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=639&l4=0&model=2064&m odelmenu=1
>
> The system graphics seem very sluggish (switching photos in digikam is
> slow) and video flickers. Running "aticonfig --initial" helped
> somewhat, but not completely. I am using the proprietary fglrx driver.
> Opening the Proprietary Drivers windows informs me that the machine is
> using "a different version" of the driver, for what that's worth.
> Looking in Adept, I have the only version available, installed.
>
> What can I do to start troubleshooting this issue? Thanks.

invest in a low cost ATI grafics-card?
Preferably a silently cooled one.

They are very cheap, yet their performance is way beyond chipset graphics.

regards
Eberhard

Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Dotan Cohen

> invest in a low cost ATI grafics-card?
> Preferably a silently cooled one.

I do not think that throwing hardware at the problem is the solution.
Furthermore, this particular motherboard has a ver yadvanced graphic
chip, good for most gaming on Windows.

> They are very cheap, yet their performance is way beyond chipset graphics.

Not here. It would cost me more than a day's work.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> invest in a low cost ATI grafics-card?
>> Preferably a silently cooled one.
>
> I do not think that throwing hardware at the problem is the solution.
> Furthermore, this particular motherboard has a ver yadvanced graphic
> chip, good for most gaming on Windows.
>
>> They are very cheap, yet their performance is way beyond chipset graphics.
>
> Not here. It would cost me more than a day's work.

well, I looked and the cheapest one I found here in germany via the
internet is an
Sapphire HD3450 (Light-Retail, TV-Out, DVI) for 30€ + transportation.

This is entry level, yet it is years (or decades) ahead of chipset grafics,

How much is this board at the place where you live?

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 PM
myself

>>> invest in a low cost ATI grafics-card?
>> I do not think that throwing hardware at the problem is the solution.
i'm using proprietary fglrx driver (8.54.3) and i have video flickering too (xv) on my ATI
RV630 [Radeon HD 2600XT] but only when i enable the "visual effects"
when the effects are disabled then all seems be fine

so i think that's a bug is somewhere else (maybe in the proprietary fglrx driver)

>>> They are very cheap, yet their performance is way beyond chipset graphics.
>> Not here. It would cost me more than a day's work.
me too

> well, I looked and the cheapest one I found here in germany via the
> internet is an
> Sapphire HD3450 (Light-Retail, TV-Out, DVI) for 30€ + transportation.
> How much is this board at the place where you live?
the price of this card in Czech Republic is pretty the same

Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Dotan Cohen

2009/2/5 Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> invest in a low cost ATI grafics-card?
>>> Preferably a silently cooled one.
>>
>> I do not think that throwing hardware at the problem is the solution.
>> Furthermore, this particular motherboard has a ver yadvanced graphic
>> chip, good for most gaming on Windows.
>>
>>> They are very cheap, yet their performance is way beyond chipset graphics.
>>
>> Not here. It would cost me more than a day's work.
>>
> well, I looked and the cheapest one I found here in germany via the
> internet is an
> Sapphire HD3450 (Light-Retail, TV-Out, DVI) for 30€ + transportation.
>
> This is entry level, yet it is years (or decades) ahead of chipset grafics,
>
> How much is this board at the place where you live?

I found the card online for 295 NIS which, according to Google, costs:
295 Israeli shekels = 56.5221561 Euros

That's 295/(20*0.75) = 19.6666667 hours of work, or a bit over three
days' work. Also, I stress that the onboard video on this particular
board is enough for gaming, it supports HDMI and Bluray, and screen
resolutions of 2560x1600. Not wimpy at all.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Dotan Cohen

> i'm using proprietary fglrx driver (8.54.3) and i have video flickering too (xv) on my ATI
> RV630 [Radeon HD 2600XT] but only when i enable the "visual effects"
> when the effects are disabled then all seems be fine
>
> so i think that's a bug is somewhere else (maybe in the proprietary fglrx driver)

Disabling the effects does fix the flickering video, however, the
display of digikam thumbnails is still slow.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Chris Mohler

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have Kubuntu 8.10 installed on a machine with an ASUS motherboard,
> onboard ATI graphics:
> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=639&l4=0&model=2064&m odelmenu=1

Um, I followed that link and this seems a bit dodgy:
"Hybrid CrossFireX
Greatly boost the graphics performance with onboard graphics and discreted card.
*Due to AMD Hyvrid CFX driver is not ready, you cant use this funtion
right now. When the driver is OK , we will put it on www.asus.com as
soon as possible. You can enjoy this function by update the new driver
and bios."

Discreting a card sounds painful...

> The system graphics seem very sluggish (switching photos in digikam is
> slow) and video flickers. Running "aticonfig --initial" helped
> somewhat, but not completely. I am using the proprietary fglrx driver.
> Opening the Proprietary Drivers windows informs me that the machine is
> using "a different version" of the driver, for what that's worth.
> Looking in Adept, I have the only version available, installed.

If the vesa driver works (no flicker), than it's likely an issue with
fglrx. The digikam issue may or may not be related - that could be
caused by something else entirely.

Chris

Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Um, I followed that link and this seems a bit dodgy:
> "Hybrid CrossFireX
> Greatly boost the graphics performance with onboard graphics and discreted card.
> *Due to AMD Hyvrid CFX driver is not ready, you can´t use this funtion
> right now. When the driver is OK , we will put it on www.asus.com as
> soon as possible. You can enjoy this function by update the new driver
> and bios."

As I do not have a discrete graphics card installed, that does not
apply to my situation.

> If the vesa driver works (no flicker), than it's likely an issue with
> fglrx. The digikam issue may or may not be related - that could be
> caused by something else entirely.

How would I go about debugging that?

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Chris Mohler

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> If the vesa driver works (no flicker), than it's likely an issue with
>> fglrx. The digikam issue may or may not be related - that could be
>> caused by something else entirely.
>>

> How would I go about debugging that?

Try using the 'vesa' driver (instead of fglrx) in xorg.conf and logout
or reboot (your resolution might be lower upon login). Check the
status of both issues. Put the 'fglrx' driver back into xorg.conf and
logout/reboot to restore full resolution.

Chris