Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 AM
Robert Parker

Default Skype + 8.10

I installed Skype, deb for version 8.04 on my 8.10 system. It
complains about "Problem with Audio Playback" when I try to call.

Thanks,
Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:52 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed Skype, deb for version 8.04 on my 8.10 system. It
> complains about "Problem with Audio Playback" when I try to call.

Hi Bob,
Go to Skype Preferences, and change in Sound device from "Auto" to
manual selection.
HTH

Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Robert Parker

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I installed Skype, deb for version 8.04 on my 8.10 system. It
>> complains about "Problem with Audio Playback" when I try to call.
>
> Hi Bob,
> Go to Skype Preferences, and change in Sound device from "Auto" to
> manual selection.
> HTH

Hi Fajar,

Thanks for your help. The Preferences is called Options in my version.
I tried a few of the non-default options for sound and the one that
worked for me is 'Pulse'.
The test call worked.
Thanks,
Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Robert Parker

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I installed Skype, deb for version 8.04 on my 8.10 system. It
>>> complains about "Problem with Audio Playback" when I try to call.
> worked for me is 'Pulse'.
> The test call worked.

Oops I spoke too soon. As long as everything is set to Pulse I can
make calls but I have no functional microphone.
I started alsamixer and found the Capture icon set at 0. Moving that
up to 70% or so still allows no sound to be sent over Skype. Strangely
when I close the Skype call it sets the Capture back to 0.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
"H.S."

Robert Parker wrote:

> Oops I spoke too soon. As long as everything is set to Pulse I can
> make calls but I have no functional microphone.
> I started alsamixer and found the Capture icon set at 0. Moving that
> up to 70% or so still allows no sound to be sent over Skype. Strangely
> when I close the Skype call it sets the Capture back to 0.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Sounds like the option in Skype to "automatically adjust mic volume" is
set to on. You might try unchecking that one and trying again. Having
said this, I should also point out that I have experience some problems
with skype and pulseaudio in Hardy, not sure how Intrepid deal with this.

->HS

ever having been read.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 22:50:43 +0700
Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Fajar Priyanto
> > <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
> > worked for me is 'Pulse'.
> > The test call worked.
>
> Oops I spoke too soon. As long as everything is set to Pulse I can
> make calls but I have no functional microphone.
> I started alsamixer and found the Capture icon set at 0. Moving that
> up to 70% or so still allows no sound to be sent over Skype. Strangely
> when I close the Skype call it sets the Capture back to 0.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

This a a bug in Skype using PulseAudio, apparently. There has been some
messages on ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list about the mic not
working. The workaround at this point has been telling Skype not to use
pulseaudio.

The developers are also requesting "gently recommend to the
Skype developers that PulseAudio is a much higher priority than it is."

I do not use Skype, mic, nor much audio.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 22:50:43 +0700
> Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> worked for me is 'Pulse'.
>>> The test call worked.
>>>
>> Oops I spoke too soon. As long as everything is set to Pulse I can
>> make calls but I have no functional microphone.
>> I started alsamixer and found the Capture icon set at 0. Moving that
>> up to 70% or so still allows no sound to be sent over Skype. Strangely
>> when I close the Skype call it sets the Capture back to 0.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>>

> This a a bug in Skype using PulseAudio, apparently. There has been some
> messages on ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list about the mic not
> working. The workaround at this point has been telling Skype not to use
> pulseaudio.
>
> The developers are also requesting "gently recommend to the
> Skype developers that PulseAudio is a much higher priority than it is."
>
> I do not use Skype, mic, nor much audio.
>
> Good luck,

Here Skype with Pulse works perfectly only since last recent update
(8.10 -> proposed).

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
São Paulo - Brazil

email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com
skype: lmnicolosi1

Linux Registered User #481505
http://counter.li.org/

Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Robert Parker

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:51 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Parker wrote:
>>
>> Oops I spoke too soon. As long as everything is set to Pulse I can
>> make calls but I have no functional microphone.
>> I started alsamixer and found the Capture icon set at 0. Moving that
>> up to 70% or so still allows no sound to be sent over Skype. Strangely
>> when I close the Skype call it sets the Capture back to 0.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>
> Sounds like the option in Skype to "automatically adjust mic volume" is
> set to on. You might try unchecking that one and trying again. Having
> said this, I should also point out that I have experience some problems
> with skype and pulseaudio in Hardy, not sure how Intrepid deal with this.

Thanks - the automatic volume is unchecked so no longer goes to 0 when
I close the call but still no sound from my mic.
Skype has worked with this box, a eeepc 701 back when I had the
supplied Xandros on it.
I have tried to record using sound recorder and am getting nowhere
except that it looks like the problem is nothing to do with Skype

Thanks,
Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Robert Parker

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 22:50:43 +0700
> Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > worked for me is 'Pulse'.
>> > The test call worked.
>>
>> Oops I spoke too soon. As long as everything is set to Pulse I can
>> make calls but I have no functional microphone.
>> I started alsamixer and found the Capture icon set at 0. Moving that
>> up to 70% or so still allows no sound to be sent over Skype. Strangely
>> when I close the Skype call it sets the Capture back to 0.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>
> This a a bug in Skype using PulseAudio, apparently. There has been some
> messages on ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list about the mic not
> working. The workaround at this point has been telling Skype not to use
> pulseaudio.

Skype simply will not make a call using anything other than PulseAudio.
But I cannot make any sound recording at all from my mic regardless of
volunm settings so maybe not Skype.

Thanks,
Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Bob Rook

I have had luck with Skype in 7.1 and 8.1. Double click on the speaker
icon in the system tray and make sure the mike is not muted. I also
turn on the mike boost in preferences. It works for me. I also use the
Alsa settings, it took some fooling around but got it working.

Bob