-   -   locate not finding files (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/23888-locate-not-finding-files.html)

Res 12-28-2007 04:17 AM

locate not finding files

Chris,

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Chris Lemire wrote:

> Why does locate not find files in my other partition that other
> applications can find. I haven't tried Beagle yet.

see /etc/updatedb.conf for pruning

--
Cheers
Res

Corey Bettenhausen 12-28-2007 04:19 AM

locate not finding files

Christopher Lemire wrote:

> Why does locate not find files in my other partition that other
> applications can find. I haven't tried Beagle yet.
>
> chris@ubuntu:~/sauerbraten experiement$ sudo updatedb
> [sudo] password for chris:
> chris@ubuntu:~/sauerbraten experiement$ locate -i prorat
> chris@ubuntu:~/sauerbraten experiement$ find /media/sdb2/ -iname '*prorat*'
> /media/sdb2/ProRat_v1.9
> /media/sdb2/ProRat_v1.9/ProRat.exe
> chris@ubuntu:~/sauerbraten experiement$

Whenever you run locate (actually slocate), it parses /etc/updatedb.conf
( see 'man locate'). Take a look at this file, specifically the
"PRUNEPATHS" variable. Mine lists /media and thus, I assume, means it
will not be indexed.
-Corey

Tim Frost 12-28-2007 04:22 AM

locate not finding files

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 23:00 -0600, Christopher Lemire wrote:

> Why does locate not find files in my other partition that other
> applications can find. I haven't tried Beagle yet.
>
> chris@ubuntu:~/sauerbraten experiement$ sudo updatedb
> [sudo] password for chris:
> chris@ubuntu:~/sauerbraten experiement$ locate -i prorat
> chris@ubuntu:~/sauerbraten experiement$ find /media/sdb2/ -iname
> '*prorat*'
> /media/sdb2/ProRat_v1.9
> /media/sdb2/ProRat_v1.9/ProRat.exe
> chris@ubuntu:~/sauerbraten experiement$

/media is explicitly ignored in the default configuration (it is listed
in the PRUNEPATHS variable in /etc/updatedb.conf, and find will not
search directories listed in that variable).

/media is mostly used for CD/DVD/floppy devices that are not permanently
mounted. You may be best advised to move the mount point for sdb2 to
somewhere other than /media (/disks/sdb2 for instance)

Tim