Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default WiFi quit

On my laptop with Ubuntu 8.10 installed I was able to get the WiFi
working with ease. But a week ago it came up with no choice to use WiFi.
It works fine on wired Internet but the WiFi no longer shows up.

I have been trying to get it working using the VPN things you get
with NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0 using the proper LEAP security things
but to date it will not work. Is there something else I need to
check/fix? The WiFi does not even show up as a choice any more so
something I have forgot is needed.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 PM

I had this happen on the last kernel upgrade and discovered that the restricted-extras package did not upgrade.* Had to manually reinstall.
Paul

** *On my laptop with Ubuntu 8.10 installed I was able to get the WiFi
working with ease. But a week ago it came up with no choice to use WiFi.
It works fine on wired Internet but the WiFi no longer shows up.

** *I have been trying to get it working using the VPN things you get
with NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0 using the proper LEAP security things
but to date it will not work. Is there something else I need to
check/fix? The WiFi does not even show up as a choice any more so
something I have forgot is needed.

Karl

--

********Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
********Linux User
********#450462 * http://counter.li.org.
** PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM
norman

> On my laptop with Ubuntu 8.10 installed I was able to get the WiFi
> working with ease. But a week ago it came up with no choice to use WiFi.
> It works fine on wired Internet but the WiFi no longer shows up.
>
> I have been trying to get it working using the VPN things you get
> with NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0 using the proper LEAP security things
> but to date it will not work. Is there something else I need to
> check/fix? The WiFi does not even show up as a choice any more so
> something I have forgot is needed.

This may be a silly thing but sometimes I have problems with my wireless
connection from my laptop. I have a switch on the side of my computer
for switching the wireless on and off and when this happens I usually
find that I have accidentally knocked the switch.

Any use?

Norman

Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Karl Larsen

pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
> I had this happen on the last kernel upgrade and discovered that the
> restricted-extras package did not upgrade. Had to manually reinstall.
> Paul

Boy! are you ever right! I had been booting with the -11 kernel, so
I boot this time with the -9 kernel and WiFi works fine again.

I wonder if anyone has filed a bug on this yet? I will just continue
to boot with -9 and await a new kernel with this fixed in the near future.

Thanks for the tip. I would have been digging for a long time
without it :-)

This msg is from my laptop now on WiFi ...

Karl

Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Karl Larsen

norman wrote:
>> On my laptop with Ubuntu 8.10 installed I was able to get the WiFi
>> working with ease. But a week ago it came up with no choice to use WiFi.
>> It works fine on wired Internet but the WiFi no longer shows up.
>>
>> I have been trying to get it working using the VPN things you get
>> with NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0 using the proper LEAP security things
>> but to date it will not work. Is there something else I need to
>> check/fix? The WiFi does not even show up as a choice any more so
>> something I have forgot is needed.
>>

> This may be a silly thing but sometimes I have problems with my wireless
> connection from my laptop. I have a switch on the side of my computer
> for switching the wireless on and off and when this happens I usually
> find that I have accidentally knocked the switch.
>
> Any use?
>
> Norman

Nope this laptop has a button near the on-off button for WiFi and it
has zero effect on this Ubuntu but does work on the windows I co-boot
with. The problem is the new kernel.

Karl