Old 02-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Karsten Brenneman

Default md5 on a mac

I have downloaded Ubuntu a number of times each file is exactly 698.8Mb (732,766,208 bytes).* i tried using disk utility to do that dm5 checksum but i am only able to do crc-32 and the result is always: Checksum of “ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386(2).iso” completed.
CRC32 $8992FDF8
i downloaded a app for my dashboard and i tried using that dm5 thing on all of the files but i'm pretty sure i am always getting a different series of number and letters and they never match the hash listed on ubuntu's list of hashes.* i don't want to waste any cd so i want to get it right the first time.* can anyone help?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Karsten Brenneman wrote:
> I have downloaded Ubuntu a number of times each file is exactly 698.8Mb
> (732,766,208 bytes). i tried using disk utility to do that dm5 checksum
> but i am only able to do crc-32 and the result is always: Checksum of
> “ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386(2).iso” completed.
> CRC32 $8992FDF8

Well, CRC32 obviously isn't relevant. Did you try following the
instructions at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM#MD5SUM%20on%20Mac%20OS%20X
. The simplest method given there is just to open Terminal, navigate to
the directory where you downloaded the image, and do:

md5 ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386(2).iso

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Shizzle Cash

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:

Karsten Brenneman wrote:

> I have downloaded Ubuntu a number of times each file is exactly 698.8Mb

> (732,766,208 bytes). *i tried using disk utility to do that dm5 checksum

> but i am only able to do crc-32 and the result is always: Checksum of

> "ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386(2).iso" completed.

> CRC32 $8992FDF8

Well, CRC32 obviously isn't relevant. *Did you try following the

instructions at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM#MD5SUM%20on%20Mac%20OS%20X

. *The simplest method given there is just to open Terminal, navigate to

the directory where you downloaded the image, and do:

md5 ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386(2).iso
You can also issue the following command within a terminal

openssl dgst -md5 <filename>