Old 02-01-2009, 03:39 PM
"s.srinivasan"

Default proxy server settings

Dear Sir,

I have installed ubuntu server and need to install desktop version.

I need to change the proxy server for connecting internet to download
the files
required for desktop installation.

Can you please let me know the steps which are required to manually
change
the proxy server settings using command line.

Thanks and regards,

S.Srinivasan
The Times of India - Cochin
Ph : 94470 84522

You always get away by saying, "No one believes in my ideas". Well, here goes that excuse. Introducing The Power of Ideas, a unique initiative by The Economic Times. If you have a business idea, we will turn you into an entrepreneur. Visit: ideas.economictimes.com

Disclaimer:
"The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. If you are not an intended recipient, please delete the message and any attachments and notify the sender of misdelivery. Any use or disclosure of the contents of either is unauthorised and may be unlawful. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender states them, with requisite authority, to be those of the specific TIMES GROUP company."

Old 02-02-2009, 08:36 PM
NoOp

On 02/01/2009 08:39 AM, s.srinivasan wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I have installed ubuntu server and need to install desktop version.
>
> I need to change the proxy server for connecting internet to download
> the files
> required for desktop installation.
>
> Can you please let me know the steps which are required to manually
> change
> the proxy server settings using command line.

Perhaps?
http://www.makrisv.net/how-to-use-proxy-from-cli/

Don't know; haven't tried it.
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bcli+%2Bproxy+s erver>

Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Guy Thouret

If it's an http proxy use:

export http_proxy=http://<proxy address>:<proxy port>

If it's a SOCKS proxy, you might have an issue as I don't think many (if any) of the CLI utilities supoprt SOCKS proxying.

Guy.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Manish Sinha

s.srinivasan wrote:
> Disclaimer:
> "The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. If you are not an intended recipient, please delete the message and any attachments and notify the sender of misdelivery. Any use or disclosure of the contents of either is unauthorised and may be unlawful. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender states them, with requisite authority, to be those of the specific TIMES GROUP company."

Did you add this yourself or the mail service added it without your
knowledge?
You should know that this mail is available publicly and archived even
on search engines. This disclaimer got no significance and is null and void.

Regards,
Manish

Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 22:44:44 +0530
Manish Sinha <manishsinha27@gmail.com> wrote:

> s.srinivasan wrote:
> > Disclaimer:
> > "The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential
> > and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
> > addressee or addressees. If you are not an intended recipient,
> > please delete the message and any attachments and notify the sender
> > of misdelivery. Any use or disclosure of the contents of either is
> > unauthorised and may be unlawful. All liability for viruses is
> > excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views
> > expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
> > except where the sender states them, with requisite authority, to
> > be those of the specific TIMES GROUP company."
> >

> Did you add this yourself or the mail service added it without your
> knowledge?
> You should know that this mail is available publicly and archived
> even on search engines. This disclaimer got no significance and is
> null and void.
>
> Regards,
> Manish

No point in even asking. Many companies add these disclaimers, without
the sender even knowing at times. If you have to use company internet,
you get what they give you.

--
Charlie Kravetz