Old 02-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Paul Sladen

Default xhost + (was: Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Chris G wrote:
> xhost +

Running 'xhost +' allows anyone, on any machine, on any network.

It's like leaving all the doors and windows open just in case your
mate turns up. The better option would be to have the owner leave a copy of
the keys for your mate at a trusted location. (A copy of the .Xauthority).

-Paul
--
Why do one side of a triangle when you can do all three. Somewhere, GB.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Chris G

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 08:03:17PM +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Chris G wrote:
> > xhost +
>
> Running 'xhost +' allows anyone, on any machine, on any network.
>
> It's like leaving all the doors and windows open just in case your
> mate turns up. The better option would be to have the owner leave a copy of
> the keys for your mate at a trusted location. (A copy of the .Xauthority).

Since in my case (and I suspect many/most of the Ubuntu installations
we're talking about here) it's on a home LAN on a private address
subnet behind a NAT router that hardly matters! I really don't care
if my wife can 'break into' my machine and vice versa.

--
Chris Green