Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM
howard chen

Default Homemade SAN on Ubuntu?

Hi

Are there recommended/popular solutions for Ubuntu which allow user to
build a SAN using homemade/opensource technologies?

My case:

I have 10+ web servers, which connnected to a centralized storage
server via NFS. The storage is busy as each request to the web servers
need to fetch HTML from the centralized server. The storage server
also host a lot of images files to be served.

Surely this is the bottomneck for my system. Also, scalablity is not
good as the storage capacity is limited by one server. So I want to
explore any opensource solutions which can solve my problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Bart Silverstrim

howard chen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Are there recommended/popular solutions for Ubuntu which allow user to
> build a SAN using homemade/opensource technologies?
>
> My case:
>
> I have 10+ web servers, which connnected to a centralized storage
> server via NFS. The storage is busy as each request to the web servers
> need to fetch HTML from the centralized server. The storage server
> also host a lot of images files to be served.
>
> Surely this is the bottomneck for my system. Also, scalablity is not
> good as the storage capacity is limited by one server. So I want to
> explore any opensource solutions which can solve my problem.
>
> Any suggestions?

Depends on your hardware and switch, too.

You can take a look at FreeNAS.

-Bart

Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Brian McKee

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Bart Silverstrim
<bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:
> You can take a look at FreeNAS.
or Openfiler