FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Jeff Henson
 
Default Fwd: Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Pierre Frenkiel
<pierre.frenkiel@laposte.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Robert Parker wrote:
>> You can 'sudo su -'
>
> then, X11 doesn't work

You should be able to use 'su -p username'. I'm at work and can't test
it right now though.

>
> --
> Pierre Frenkiel
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

-- Jeff

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Pierre Frenkiel
 
Default Fwd: Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Jeff Henson wrote:

> You should be able to use 'su -p username'. I'm at work and can't test
> it right now though.

thanks, it works ... but it just preserves the environment.
and curiously, "su - -p user" executes your .profile,
and not the user's one. A bug ?
So, if you need to execute the login scripts "sux - user" is better.
(it even executes them twice!)

--
Pierre Frenkiel

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Rashkae
 
Default Fwd: Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Jeff Henson wrote:
>
>> You should be able to use 'su -p username'. I'm at work and can't test
>> it right now though.
>
> thanks, it works ... but it just preserves the environment.
> and curiously, "su - -p user" executes your .profile,
> and not the user's one. A bug ?

No, not a bug, but exactly what you asked for with that combination of
options. As you say, if you need to execute the login scripts *and*
maintain X, sux is better. (otherwise, you need to copy the .Xauthority
file from the old user's home direcoory to your own manually, which will
probably be impossible if you are su'ing to a user account rather than root.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Pierre Frenkiel
 
Default Fwd: Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Rashkae wrote:

> No, not a bug, but exactly what you asked for with that combination of
> options.

no. cf "man su"
================================================== ============
-, -l, --login
Provide an environment similar to what the user would expect had the user logged in
directly.

-m, -p, --preserve-environment
Preserve the current environment.
================================================== ============


so, the 2 options seem contradictory, but actually, -p doesn't preserve variables
that are set by any login script (.profile, ...)

--
Pierre Frenkiel

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Rashkae
 
Default Fwd: Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Rashkae wrote:
>
>> No, not a bug, but exactly what you asked for with that combination of
>> options.
>
> no. cf "man su"
> ================================================== ============
> -, -l, --login
> Provide an environment similar to what the user would expect had the user logged in
> directly.
>
> -m, -p, --preserve-environment
> Preserve the current environment.
> ================================================== ============
>
>
> so, the 2 options seem contradictory, but actually, -p doesn't preserve variables
> that are set by any login script (.profile, ...)
>


No, but -p preservers $HOME, and your login scripts, as per the bash
man page, are:

~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, or ~/.profile.

~, by the way, is a shortcut for $HOME
You see the problem now?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Pierre Frenkiel
 
Default Fwd: Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Rashkae wrote:

> No, but -p preserves $HOME

Right, as USER and HOME are generally not redefined in system wide login scripts.
If you add in /etc/profile
USER=`whoami`
eval HOME=~$USER

you get the good login scripts.

--
Pierre Frenkiel

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org