Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo

Chris G wrote:
> I have just discovered another reason why I don't like sudo.
>
> I have just installed xubuntu 8.10 on my wife's machine (to replace XP).
> It has accounts for me and her and the children. My account has sudo
> privileges.
>
> When I want to install something I have to log out the current user
> (if it's not me) then log in as me, then I can run synaptic. If it
> had a root account I could simply run synaptic and give the root
> password.
>
> OK, it's not a disaster and there are several ways around the issue, I
> could give my wife's account sudo privileges or I could use apt-get from
> the command line (having changed user to me). However none of them is
> particularly covenient and it's a pain if I want to install something
> to fix an immediate 'on screen' problem.

Why not open a terminal and sudo to yourself then sudo synaptic?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Karl Auer

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 08:01 -0500, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Why not open a terminal and sudo to yourself then sudo synaptic?

Because the account that's active can't sudo.

However "su - me" should still work, followed by sudo synaptic (or
gksudo synaptic).

Might have to set the DISPLAY variable first: "export DISPLAY=:0.0"

Haven't tried this. There might be xauth issues too.

Regards, K.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl Auer wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 08:01 -0500, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> Why not open a terminal and sudo to yourself then sudo synaptic?
>
> Because the account that's active can't sudo.

You're right...I meant su, not sudo, as you pointed out :-)

Sorry about that...

Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Robert Parker wrote:
> You can 'sudo su -'

then, X11 doesn't work

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Robert Parker wrote:
>> You can 'sudo su -'
>
> then, X11 doesn't work

Can you be more specific? You should be able to launch graphical
applications...what's the error?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Robert Parker

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Pierre Frenkiel
<pierre.frenkiel@laposte.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Robert Parker wrote:
>> You can 'sudo su -'
>
> then, X11 doesn't work

That may well be for security reasons. The Ubuntu team probably have
forgotten more about security than we users will ever know.
I'll repeat that - they know what they are doing - we users don't.

Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Jeff Henson

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Jeff Henson <jeff@jhenson.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Pierre Frenkiel
> <pierre.frenkiel@laposte.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Robert Parker wrote:
>>> You can 'sudo su -'
>>
>> then, X11 doesn't work
>
> You should be able to use 'su -p username'. I'm at work and can't test
> it right now though.

Was just able to test it and it doesn't work the way I thought.

-- Jeff

Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 12:19:14PM +0100, Loïc Grenié wrote:
> 2009/2/2 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:
> > I have just discovered another reason why I don't like sudo.
> >
> > I have just installed xubuntu 8.10 on my wife's machine (to replace XP).
> > It has accounts for me and her and the children. My account has sudo
> > privileges.
> >
> > When I want to install something I have to log out the current user
> > (if it's not me) then log in as me, then I can run synaptic. If it
> > had a root account I could simply run synaptic and give the root
> > password.
>
> You can log-in as you without logging out the current user.
> You can use ssh from the command-line
> (ssh -t -l me localhost sudo synaptic) if you have installed
> openssh-server.

... and then you end up with all sorts of convoluted X authentication errors.

> > OK, it's not a disaster and there are several ways around the issue, I
> > could give my wife's account sudo privileges or I could use apt-get from
> > the command line (having changed user to me). However none of them is
> > particularly covenient and it's a pain if I want to install something
> > to fix an immediate 'on screen' problem.
>
> It's simple enough to add a script that does the
>
> xterm -e "ssh -t -l me localhost gksudo synaptic"
>
> and put it in the "standard" menus. You'll have the xterm hanging
> around until synaptic is closed.
>
> There are without any doubt (much) better solutions. Hope this
> helps save a little frustration,

The neatest and tidiest solution is to have a root account IMHO, it's
what I've done on my desktop computer and on the others around the
house, I'll probaly do it on the wife's computer as well.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Lorenzo Luengo

Chris G wrote:
> I have just discovered another reason why I don't like sudo.
>
> I have just installed xubuntu 8.10 on my wife's machine (to replace XP).
> It has accounts for me and her and the children. My account has sudo
> privileges.
>
> When I want to install something I have to log out the current user
> (if it's not me) then log in as me, then I can run synaptic. If it
> had a root account I could simply run synaptic and give the root
> password.
>
> OK, it's not a disaster and there are several ways around the issue, I
> could give my wife's account sudo privileges or I could use apt-get from
> the command line (having changed user to me). However none of them is
> particularly covenient and it's a pain if I want to install something
> to fix an immediate 'on screen' problem.

Maybe you can try switching users with the tiny box near the clock, and
then try to open synaptic. Does this work?

--
Lorenzo Luengo Contreras
Administrador de Sistemas DGEO

Old 02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:22:27AM -0500, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Robert Parker wrote:
> >> You can 'sudo su -'
> >
> > then, X11 doesn't work
>
> Can you be more specific? You should be able to launch graphical
> applications...what's the error?

I went through this a while ago, it's a right royal pain getting an X
application for another user running on your desktop. Doing a sudo to
run synaptic as a 'foreign' user is much harder work than just logging
out and logging in as the sudo privileged user.

--
Chris Green