Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Chris G

Default Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo

I have just discovered another reason why I don't like sudo.

I have just installed xubuntu 8.10 on my wife's machine (to replace XP).
It has accounts for me and her and the children. My account has sudo
privileges.

When I want to install something I have to log out the current user
(if it's not me) then log in as me, then I can run synaptic. If it
had a root account I could simply run synaptic and give the root
password.

OK, it's not a disaster and there are several ways around the issue, I
could give my wife's account sudo privileges or I could use apt-get from
the command line (having changed user to me). However none of them is
particularly covenient and it's a pain if I want to install something
to fix an immediate 'on screen' problem.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Loïc Grenié

2009/2/2 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:
> I have just discovered another reason why I don't like sudo.
>
> I have just installed xubuntu 8.10 on my wife's machine (to replace XP).
> It has accounts for me and her and the children. My account has sudo
> privileges.
>
> When I want to install something I have to log out the current user
> (if it's not me) then log in as me, then I can run synaptic. If it
> had a root account I could simply run synaptic and give the root
> password.

You can log-in as you without logging out the current user.
You can use ssh from the command-line
(ssh -t -l me localhost sudo synaptic) if you have installed
openssh-server.

> OK, it's not a disaster and there are several ways around the issue, I
> could give my wife's account sudo privileges or I could use apt-get from
> the command line (having changed user to me). However none of them is
> particularly covenient and it's a pain if I want to install something
> to fix an immediate 'on screen' problem.

It's simple enough to add a script that does the

xterm -e "ssh -t -l me localhost gksudo synaptic"

and put it in the "standard" menus. You'll have the xterm hanging
around until synaptic is closed.

There are without any doubt (much) better solutions. Hope this
helps save a little frustration,

Loïc

Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Robert Parker

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> I have just discovered another reason why I don't like sudo.
>
> I have just installed xubuntu 8.10 on my wife's machine (to replace XP).
> It has accounts for me and her and the children. My account has sudo
> privileges.

You can 'sudo su -' if you desire and operate 24/7 that way if you
want. However the biggest security risk on your computer is you and on
my computer it is me.
Very experienced Linux admin types strongly recommend that you stick
with sudo if for no other reason that you get better logging using
sudo.

Honestly you are complaining about stuff that takes a second or two
against keeping XP clean and secure which a friend of mine tells me
takes him hours per week (3 Win machines).

> When I want to install something I have to log out the current user
> (if it's not me) then log in as me, then I can run synaptic. If it
> had a root account I could simply run synaptic and give the root
> password.
Actually I find apt-cache search <whatever> then apt-get install far
less cumbersome than synaptic anyway.

Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:25 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Chris G wrote:
> I have just discovered another reason why I don't like sudo.
>
> I have just installed xubuntu 8.10 on my wife's machine (to replace XP).
> It has accounts for me and her and the children. My account has sudo
> privileges.
>
> When I want to install something I have to log out the current user
> (if it's not me) then log in as me, then I can run synaptic. If it
> had a root account I could simply run synaptic and give the root
> password.
>
> OK, it's not a disaster and there are several ways around the issue, I
> could give my wife's account sudo privileges or I could use apt-get from
> the command line (having changed user to me). However none of them is
> particularly covenient and it's a pain if I want to install something
> to fix an immediate 'on screen' problem.

Sounds to me like your wife or child wants to adjust their OWN
computer, thank you.
There is no reason they can't be given sudo and let them do it. Why is
it better to use "su" and become root?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI