Old 02-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Graham Watkins

Default grub not configured properly after 8.10 install

Hi folks,

Finally plucked up the courage to install 8.10 but didn't want to
install over my existing 8.04 installation. I have 2 hard drives: hd0
which formerly contained a now unwanted Mandriva system, and hd1 where
my 8.04 installation resides. I therefore installed 8.10 on hd0.

Although the installation went through without incident and announced
that it was searching for other operating systems, when I rebooted the
grub menu showed 8.10 only.

With the aid of a supergrub disk (with which I cannot claim any great
expertise) I have managed to boot 8.04 again although not to build a new
grub menu containing both OSs.

For the time being I want 8.04 to be my main system as I have it
configured the way I like it - which took some time. 8.10 for now is
just to play with.

Is there a quick and dirty (ideally GUI based) way of re-writing grub
which will permit me to choose between the 2 systems without continually
having to use a boot disk?

I have tried using the 8.04 install disk to rewrite grub but ended up
just installing 8.04 over 8.10.

Ideas anyone?

--
Graham Watkins

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it."
SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Finally plucked up the courage to install 8.10 but didn't want to
> install over my existing 8.04 installation. I have 2 hard drives: hd0
> which formerly contained a now unwanted Mandriva system, and hd1 where
> my 8.04 installation resides. I therefore installed 8.10 on hd0.
>
> Although the installation went through without incident and announced
> that it was searching for other operating systems, when I rebooted the
> grub menu showed 8.10 only.
>
> With the aid of a supergrub disk (with which I cannot claim any great
> expertise) I have managed to boot 8.04 again although not to build a new
> grub menu containing both OSs.
>
> For the time being I want 8.04 to be my main system as I have it
> configured the way I like it - which took some time. 8.10 for now is
> just to play with.
>
> Is there a quick and dirty (ideally GUI based) way of re-writing grub
> which will permit me to choose between the 2 systems without continually
> having to use a boot disk?
>
> I have tried using the 8.04 install disk to rewrite grub but ended up
> just installing 8.04 over 8.10.
>
> Ideas anyone?

With two versions of Ubuntu in the same machine you ended up with two
/boot/grub/menu.lst files, one at each installation, only one of them
active (the last one).

If these files are still standard you could easily edit the active one
and copy/paste the parameters needed to boot the other installation
(present in the "inactive" menu.lst) providing each disk is correctly
identified (UUID, etc).

If they are not, you will probably have to man grub or grub-install or
google grub for the shell commands and check the alternatives. (Or wait
for the wiser guys.)

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Săo Paulo - Brazil

email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com
phone: 55 11 8272 6512

Linux Registered User #481505
http://counter.li.org/

Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Lorenzo Luengo

Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Finally plucked up the courage to install 8.10 but didn't want to
> install over my existing 8.04 installation. I have 2 hard drives: hd0
> which formerly contained a now unwanted Mandriva system, and hd1 where
> my 8.04 installation resides. I therefore installed 8.10 on hd0.
>
> Although the installation went through without incident and announced
> that it was searching for other operating systems, when I rebooted the
> grub menu showed 8.10 only.
>
> With the aid of a supergrub disk (with which I cannot claim any great
> expertise) I have managed to boot 8.04 again although not to build a new
> grub menu containing both OSs.
>
> For the time being I want 8.04 to be my main system as I have it
> configured the way I like it - which took some time. 8.10 for now is
> just to play with.
>
> Is there a quick and dirty (ideally GUI based) way of re-writing grub
> which will permit me to choose between the 2 systems without continually
> having to use a boot disk?

I think the most "GUI" way to do this is

$ gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Maybe just copying the grub entry for 8.10 installation and changing the
root (hd0,0) (or something similar, and choosing the right kernel file)
should be enough.

--
Lorenzo Luengo Contreras
Administrador de Sistemas DGEO

Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM
NoOp

On 02/02/2009 08:58 AM, Lorenzo Luengo wrote:
> Graham Watkins wrote:
[snips]

>> Is there a quick and dirty (ideally GUI based) way of re-writing grub
>> which will permit me to choose between the 2 systems without continually
>> having to use a boot disk?
>>
> I think the most "GUI" way to do this is
>
> $ gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

$ gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

> Maybe just copying the grub entry for 8.10 installation and changing the
> root (hd0,0) (or something similar, and choosing the right kernel file)
> should be enough.

And after that's modified, a very nice GUI utility for selecting which
kernel etc., is startupmanager:

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

It will appear in System|Administration|StartUp-Manager

Refs:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/startupmanager
https://launchpad.net/startup-manager
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/startupmanager