Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default wireless signal strength

Paul Kaplan wrote:

>>> When I point to the wireless connection icon it gives the signal
>>> strength. This changes when I take my computer into another room.
>> If you try looking on one of the geek toy sites, I remember seeing a tee
>> shirt with a wireless signal meter on the chest that lights up. It was
>> supposed to be a novelty for finding wireless signals when you're out
>> and about.
>>
>> -Bart
> I was hoping for something on the laptop :-)

The shirt's probably about as accurate...

It's at Thinkgeek.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Bart Silverstrim

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/

Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 PM
NoOp

On 01/31/2009 01:00 PM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Qnix wrote:
>> Wade Smart , I was asking Bart Silverstrim about the geeky website which
>> sells t-shirts with wireless signal detector
>
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/

Damn... My wife is really going to be pissed off at you! How am I ever
going to explain to my wife the charges on my credit card today?

Old 02-01-2009, 12:49 AM
steve

Paul Kaplan wrote:
> Is there a tool to quantify the strength of the wireless signal of my home
> network at different places in house?
>
> The visual info in the guidance tray icon doesn't seem to change even if I
> move the laptop right next to the router.
> Paul

take a look at wavemon. runs in a terminal, and gives tons of info.
its in the repo

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

~ Netiquette ~
http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm

Old 02-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Bart Silverstrim

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/31/2009 01:00 PM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> Qnix wrote:
>>> Wade Smart , I was asking Bart Silverstrim about the geeky website which
>>> sells t-shirts with wireless signal detector
>> http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/
>>

> Damn... My wife is really going to be pissed off at you! How am I ever
> going to explain to my wife the charges on my credit card today?

Identity theft. Damn hackers.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:20 AM
NoOp

On 01/31/2009 05:57 PM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>>> http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/
>>>

>> Damn... My wife is really going to be pissed off at you! How am I ever
>> going to explain to my wife the charges on my credit card today?
>
> Identity theft. Damn hackers.

Yeah... and that the shirt(s) include a firewall and antivirus system as
well, so it _shouldn't_ happen again :-)

Back to Paul:

> Is there a tool to quantify the strength of the wireless signal of my home
> network at different places in house?
>
> The visual info in the guidance tray icon doesn't seem to change even if I
> move the laptop right next to the router.

Paul, in order for anyone to reasonably assist you'll need to do at
least the following:

1. Tell us what version of Ubuntu (including which desktop you are using
- Gnome, KDE, etc),
2. Tell us what you are using as your network manager; standard
installed Network Manager, Wicd, other.

Wicd allows you to modify the strength settings to use dBM to measure
signal strength. I don't believe the standard Ubuntu Network Manager has
similar. But I'm sure that others can perhaps suggest an alternate
drive-by type of program that does.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Bart Silverstrim

NoOp wrote:

>> The visual info in the guidance tray icon doesn't seem to change even if I
>> move the laptop right next to the router.
>
> Paul, in order for anyone to reasonably assist you'll need to do at
> least the following:
>
> 1. Tell us what version of Ubuntu (including which desktop you are using
> - Gnome, KDE, etc),
> 2. Tell us what you are using as your network manager; standard
> installed Network Manager, Wicd, other.
>
> Wicd allows you to modify the strength settings to use dBM to measure
> signal strength. I don't believe the standard Ubuntu Network Manager has
> similar. But I'm sure that others can perhaps suggest an alternate
> drive-by type of program that does.

Also, without specialized equipment, this is dependent on your
laptop...where and how the wireless signal is picked up depends on your
laptop's construction, if you have an external antenna, etc (if you're
asking to basically map your wireless in the house, or are you asking
how your laptop is picking up the signal?)

Basically it can vary since your laptop may get a comfy spot that
another laptop will burp at. And it depends on what you have running as
well, as some people might suddenly have interference when microwaving
dinner or using a particular phone or toy.

One of the fun threads in Apple forums was designs and redesigns of the
aluminum-housing Macs with the internal wireless antennas on their
airports and how they affected receptions. Plastic housing Macs had much
better wireless reception...

Old 02-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Paul Kaplan

On Sunday 01 February 2009 09:22:32 Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
> >> The visual info in the guidance tray icon doesn't seem to change even if
> >> I move the laptop right next to the router.
> >
> > Paul, in order for anyone to reasonably assist you'll need to do at
> > least the following:
> >
> > 1. Tell us what version of Ubuntu (including which desktop you are using
> > - Gnome, KDE, etc),
> > 2. Tell us what you are using as your network manager; standard
> > installed Network Manager, Wicd, other.
> >
> > Wicd allows you to modify the strength settings to use dBM to measure
> > signal strength. I don't believe the standard Ubuntu Network Manager has
> > similar. But I'm sure that others can perhaps suggest an alternate
> > drive-by type of program that does.
>
> Also, without specialized equipment, this is dependent on your
> laptop...where and how the wireless signal is picked up depends on your
> laptop's construction, if you have an external antenna, etc (if you're
> asking to basically map your wireless in the house, or are you asking
> how your laptop is picking up the signal?)
>
> Basically it can vary since your laptop may get a comfy spot that
> another laptop will burp at. And it depends on what you have running as
> well, as some people might suddenly have interference when microwaving
> dinner or using a particular phone or toy.
>
> One of the fun threads in Apple forums was designs and redesigns of the
> aluminum-housing Macs with the internal wireless antennas on their
> airports and how they affected receptions. Plastic housing Macs had much
> better wireless reception..

I'm just looking for something to get a more robust feel for signal strength
(not emperical) than the guidance tray icon. Is there any software?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
John Hubbard

Paul Kaplan wrote:
> Is there a tool to quantify the strength of the wireless signal of my home
> network at different places in house?
>
> The visual info in the guidance tray icon doesn't seem to change even if I
> move the laptop right next to the router.
> Paul

Look at the man page for iwlist. Something like:
sudo iwlist scan | grep -e "ESSID" -e "Quality"
Should give you what you want.

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.