Old 01-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Keith Clark

Default Stop fsck checks

Is there a way to stop the default fsck disk check every 22 bootups?

Keith

Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Qnix

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2410152&postcount=3

""""""
Modify /etc/fstab

basically the sixth field (fs passno) for each device controls whether or not fsck is run for a particular partition.

For example here is part of my /etc/fstab (slightly edited so things fit on one line)

Code:
# /dev/hda6
UUID=xxxx / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

# /dev/hda1"
UUID=yyyy /media/hda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 0
/dev/hda6 this is my root partition and the sixth field should be set to 1

/dev/hda1 contains my windows stuff the sixth field is by default set
to 2, which tells to fsck to scan the drive. Setting it to zero causes
fsck to skip the partition.

This information is detailed in the man pages.
""""""

By the way Keith, fsck checks your hard-disk for errors .
so be sure if you disable it on booting make sure you run it
from time to time.

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:36 P

Qnix < qnix@0x80.org >
http://0x80.org

Old 01-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Keith Clark

Qnix,

Got it and thanks!

Keith

Qnix < qnix@0x80.org <mailto:qnix@0x80.org> >
http://0x80.org

Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Brian McKee

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Keith Clark <keithclark@k-wbookworm.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to stop the default fsck disk check every 22 bootups?

man tune2fs - the -c option, or System -> Help and Support, Search
tune2fs and take the manual page link

Brian

Old 01-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Keith Clark

Brian,

This may sound stupid, but I have never used the Help and Support
feature! I never knew it existed.

It works wonderfully.

Thanks,

Keith

Old 02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Rashkae

Keith Clark wrote:
> Qnix,
>
> Got it and thanks!
>
> Keith

By the way, if you followed Qnix' suggestion, you really *should* revert
your fstab. Fsck should still be run against your ext3 partitions in
case they are marked dirty or an error was found.