Old 12-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Keith Clark

Default Amarok in Gnome

Does amarok work in gnome? I've installed it and when I want to play a streaming radio station it says that there is no suitable demux???

Rhythmbox works ok with streaming stations though.

Keith

Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 AM
"Kim Briggs"

On 12/27/07, Keith Clark <keithclark1966@rogers.com> wrote:
> Does amarok work in gnome? I've installed it and when I want to play a streaming radio station it says that there is no suitable demux???

Hi Keith,
I have used Amarok in gnome to play my own music and create playlists.
If the objective is to listen to a readio station, that plays mp3 in
.pls format, for example, I have found that xmms works great with a
small footprint.

Using Firefox, browse to the station's link and when asked to use the
Music Player (which has NEVER worked for me), choose "other" and
browse to /usr/bin/xmms and select "always do this". If you have
already done the "always do this" option with another program, the
settings in Firefox are edit..preferences...content tab...File types
"manage" button.

HTH,
--
http://kimbriggs.com

Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Davide Corio

Il giorno gio, 27/12/2007 alle 14.46 -0800, Keith Clark ha scritto:
> Does amarok work in gnome? I've installed it and when I want to play a streaming radio station it says that there is no suitable demux???
>
> Rhythmbox works ok with streaming stations though.

Hi,
i'm using amarok without problems under gnome.
If I remember correctly, it should auto-install all necessary codecs.
Are you using an up-to-date version?
On which ubuntu version?

--
Davide Corio
email: davide.corio<at>domsense.com

Old 12-28-2007, 12:37 PM

Ubuntu 7.10

It seemed to install ok, but the originally stated problem comes up when trying to play streaming radio.

Keith

Old 12-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Davide Corio

Il giorno ven, 28/12/2007 alle 05.37 -0800, keithclark1966@rogers.com ha
scritto:
> Ubuntu 7.10
>
> It seemed to install ok, but the originally stated problem comes up when trying to play streaming radio.
>
> Keith

Did you install amarok-xine? if not, try to do it

Old 12-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Jan Michelsburg

> Ubuntu 7.10
>
> It seemed to install ok, but the originally stated problem comes up when
> trying to play streaming radio.
>
> Keith

Read this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amarok/+bug/94047

Jan

Old 12-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Jan,

I see. It seems to be a general problem then. Thanks! I will follow that thread to see what I can learn.

Keith

Old 12-28-2007, 01:26 PM

> From: Davide Corio
>
> Il giorno gio, 27/12/2007 alle 14.46 -0800, Keith Clark ha scritto:
> > Does amarok work in gnome? I've installed it and when I
> want to play a streaming radio station it says that there is
> no suitable demux???
> >
> > Rhythmbox works ok with streaming stations though.
>
> Hi,
> i'm using amarok without problems under gnome.
> If I remember correctly, it should auto-install all necessary codecs.
> Are you using an up-to-date version?
> On which ubuntu version?

Yeah, sorry about the 'me too' response, but *this* nitwit simply picked
Amarok in the Add/Remove option under 7.10. After it downloaded and
installed, it worked fine for me.

Now, I have another problem, getting the 8GB Apple Ipod Touch to work.
We just got the device and it was not recognized, so a little research
is needed...

BTW, I downloaded the Apple software and tried to load it under Wine.
It said it HAD to be XP or Vista. How much effort would it be to build
a Linux version when they already have an almost BSD ( Mac OS ) version?
Good thing ( this one time ) that we have an XP box in the house.

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Derek Broughton

keithclark1966@rogers.com wrote:

> Jan,
>
> I see. It seems to be a general problem then. Thanks! I will follow
> that thread to see what I can learn.

Keith, please use the "reply" option in your mailer, or use something
smarter than Yahoo Mail. Every single post you make starts a new thread.
--
derek

Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 PM
NoOp

On 12/28/2007 06:26 AM, Michael.Coll-Barth@VerizonWireless.com wrote:

> Now, I have another problem, getting the 8GB Apple Ipod Touch to work.
> We just got the device and it was not recognized, so a little research
> is needed...
>
> BTW, I downloaded the Apple software and tried to load it under Wine.
> It said it HAD to be XP or Vista. How much effort would it be to build
> a Linux version when they already have an almost BSD ( Mac OS ) version?
> Good thing ( this one time ) that we have an XP box in the house.

Applications|Wine|Configure Wine| Applications|Windows Version: