Old 12-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Corey Bettenhausen

Default xserver problem - is there an alternative to re-install?

R Kimber wrote:
[snip]
> I can get is 800x600, even though the xorg.conf file is the same as
> before except for the mouse entry.
If you change your xorg.conf to its state prior to the mouse upgrade,
does everything work correctly (except the mouse of course)? It might
be worthwhile to post the lines that you changed from your xorg.conf
file as well.
-Corey

Old 12-27-2007, 11:42 PM
R Kimber

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 07:33:55 +1000
Corey Bettenhausen wrote:

> R Kimber wrote:
> [snip]
> > I can get is 800x600, even though the xorg.conf file is the same as
> > before except for the mouse entry.
> If you change your xorg.conf to its state prior to the mouse upgrade,
> does everything work correctly (except the mouse of course)? It
> might be worthwhile to post the lines that you changed from your
> xorg.conf file as well.
> -Corey

I'll try the old setup tomorrow. Meanwhile, the xorg.conf changes were:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Changed to ......

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "evdev"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Name" "Logitech LX7 Mouse"
EndSection

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Aart Koelewijn

Op vr, 28-12-2007 te 00:42 +0000, schreef R Kimber:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 07:33:55 +1000
> Corey Bettenhausen wrote:
>
> > R Kimber wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > I can get is 800x600, even though the xorg.conf file is the same as
> > > before except for the mouse entry.
> > If you change your xorg.conf to its state prior to the mouse upgrade,
> > does everything work correctly (except the mouse of course)? It
> > might be worthwhile to post the lines that you changed from your
> > xorg.conf file as well.
> > -Corey
>
> I'll try the old setup tomorrow. Meanwhile, the xorg.conf changes were:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "CorePointer"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Changed to ......
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> Driver "evdev"
> Option "CorePointer"
> Option "Name" "Logitech LX7 Mouse"
> EndSection

Try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". It might just get you a
working xorg.conf

Aart

Old 12-28-2007, 05:59 PM
R Kimber

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:01:46 +0100
Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> Op vr, 28-12-2007 te 00:42 +0000, schreef R Kimber:
> > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 07:33:55 +1000
> > Corey Bettenhausen wrote:
> >
> > > R Kimber wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > If you change your xorg.conf to its state prior to the mouse
> > > upgrade, does everything work correctly (except the mouse of
> > > course)? It might be worthwhile to post the lines that you
> > > changed from your xorg.conf file as well.
> > > -Corey
> >
> > I'll try the old setup tomorrow. Meanwhile, the xorg.conf changes
> > were:
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> > Driver "mouse"
> > Option "CorePointer"
> > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
> > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Changed to ......
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> > Driver "evdev"
> > Option "CorePointer"
> > Option "Name" "Logitech LX7 Mouse"
> > EndSection
>
> Try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". It might just get you a
> working xorg.conf
>
> Aart

I first tried the old config. That gave the same result (maximum
800x600), but interestingly the new mouse seemed to work OK.

I then did sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and again ended up with
800x600, even though the config file says

SubSection "Display"
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
"640x480"
EndSubSection

The monitor seemed to be detected fine and the config program allowed
me to set 1280x1024 as one of the resolutions

800x600 is the maximum option shown in the system > preferences > screen
resolution window.

Now what?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 12-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Aart Koelewijn

Op vr, 28-12-2007 te 18:59 +0000, schreef R Kimber:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:01:46 +0100
> Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>
> > Op vr, 28-12-2007 te 00:42 +0000, schreef R Kimber:

> > > I'll try the old setup tomorrow. Meanwhile, the xorg.conf changes
> > > were:
> > >
> > > Section "InputDevice"
> > > Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> > > Driver "mouse"
> > > Option "CorePointer"
> > > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > > Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
> > > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Changed to ......
> > >
> > > Section "InputDevice"
> > > Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> > > Driver "evdev"
> > > Option "CorePointer"
> > > Option "Name" "Logitech LX7 Mouse"
> > > EndSection
> >
> > Try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". It might just get you a
> > working xorg.conf
> >
> > Aart
>
> I first tried the old config. That gave the same result (maximum
> 800x600), but interestingly the new mouse seemed to work OK.
>
> I then did sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and again ended up with
> 800x600, even though the config file says
>
> SubSection "Display"
> Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
> "640x480"
> EndSubSection
>
> The monitor seemed to be detected fine and the config program allowed
> me to set 1280x1024 as one of the resolutions
>
> 800x600 is the maximum option shown in the system > preferences > screen
> resolution window.
>
> Now what?

I would look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Is the right config file used? Is
the right driver loaded? There should be something in that file which
will tell you what you can try as a next step.

Aart

Old 12-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Michael

Corey Bettenhausen wrote:

R Kimber wrote:
[...]

*I had the same basic problem.* There is more than one place in
xorg.conf that the resolution is listed.* I don't remember what I
changed but make sure every instance is the configuration you want.* If
you are using an Nvidia graphics card with the restricted driver you
should have a program called Nvidia Settings in usr/bin that may also
do what you want.

Mike

Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 AM
R Kimber

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:11:06 +0100
Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> I would look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Is the right config file used? Is
> the right driver loaded? There should be something in that file which
> will tell you what you can try as a next step.

Thanks. You're right. It's using the failsafe config instead of the
normal one. That hadn't occurred to me.

However, I haven't a clue why this should happen. Both a normal reboot
and restarting the Xserver from the login screen (ctrl-alt-backsp)
result in the failsafe config file being used.

Presumably there's a setting somewhere that I can change?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 12-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:57:29 +0000, R Kimber wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:11:06 +0100
> Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>

>> I would look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Is the right config file used? Is
>> the right driver loaded? There should be something in that file which
>> will tell you what you can try as a next step.
>
> Thanks. You're right. It's using the failsafe config instead of the
> normal one. That hadn't occurred to me.
>
> However, I haven't a clue why this should happen. Both a normal reboot
> and restarting the Xserver from the login screen (ctrl-alt-backsp)
> result in the failsafe config file being used.
>
> Presumably there's a setting somewhere that I can change?
>
> - Richard.

I had something simular happen to me after I had to switch kernels to get
7.10 working. My nvidia kernel module and/or nvidia-glx driver did not
match anymore and could not be used. Then the failsave config and low
resolution were used. So, if I were you, I would check that and perhaps
reinstall the nvidia-glx driver (which I suppose you need for your grafic
card, if you don't have a nvidia card, look for hte driver for your card).

If something else is the matter, I suppose the logfile I mentioned will
give you some indication.

--
Aart

Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 AM
R Kimber

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:56:19 +0000 (UTC)
Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:57:29 +0000, R Kimber wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:11:06 +0100
> > Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> >

> >> I would look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Is the right config file
> >> used? Is the right driver loaded? There should be something in
> >> that file which will tell you what you can try as a next step.
> >
> > Thanks. You're right. It's using the failsafe config instead of the
> > normal one. That hadn't occurred to me.
> >
> > However, I haven't a clue why this should happen. Both a normal
> > reboot and restarting the Xserver from the login screen
> > (ctrl-alt-backsp) result in the failsafe config file being used.
> >
> > Presumably there's a setting somewhere that I can change?
> >
> > - Richard.
>
> I had something simular happen to me after I had to switch kernels to
> get 7.10 working. My nvidia kernel module and/or nvidia-glx driver
> did not match anymore and could not be used. Then the failsave config
> and low resolution were used. So, if I were you, I would check that
> and perhaps reinstall the nvidia-glx driver (which I suppose you need
> for your grafic card, if you don't have a nvidia card, look for hte
> driver for your card).

I tried re-installing that, and also using the nv driver, but get the
same result. Something is passing the 'failsafe' option to the xserver.

> If something else is the matter, I suppose the logfile I mentioned
> will give you some indication.

The log file just indicates a normal vesa boot up.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 12-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:34:13 +0000, R Kimber wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:56:19 +0000 (UTC)
> Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:57:29 +0000, R Kimber wrote:

>> > Thanks. You're right. It's using the failsafe config instead of the
>> > normal one. That hadn't occurred to me.
>> >
>> > However, I haven't a clue why this should happen. Both a normal
>> > reboot and restarting the Xserver from the login screen
>> > (ctrl-alt-backsp) result in the failsafe config file being used.
>> >
>> > Presumably there's a setting somewhere that I can change?
>> >
>> > - Richard.
>>
>> I had something simular happen to me after I had to switch kernels to
>> get 7.10 working. My nvidia kernel module and/or nvidia-glx driver
>> did not match anymore and could not be used. Then the failsave config
>> and low resolution were used. So, if I were you, I would check that
>> and perhaps reinstall the nvidia-glx driver (which I suppose you need
>> for your grafic card, if you don't have a nvidia card, look for hte
>> driver for your card).
>
> I tried re-installing that, and also using the nv driver, but get the
> same result. Something is passing the 'failsafe' option to the xserver.
>
>> If something else is the matter, I suppose the logfile I mentioned
>> will give you some indication.
>
> The log file just indicates a normal vesa boot up.
>
> - Richard

Move/rename the failsave config. xorg.conf will be tried again and you may
get some more usefull debug output (and a new failsave config will be
made, I think)

--
Aart