Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   upgrade problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/23716-upgrade-problems.html)

"User Iam" 12-27-2007 07:43 PM

upgrade problems
 
HI

Well, the worst has happen.

The icon said an upgrade was avail..

Would* I like to..

I said sure..

So it upgraded me to 7.10 Gusty...

Now when I log in..

All the icons/button in the upper left corner are gone..


NO Applications, Places, System..etc


And idea how to fix this

TIA

User Iam

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Ashley Benton" 12-28-2007 04:17 AM

upgrade problems
 
Did you try to reinstall the gnome panel and see if it comes back. Just an idea, you can open your terminal in GUI by clicking the right side of the mouse and create a launcher if you want to stay on GUI, but I don't know the command to open the synaptic package manager. Just beginning, sorry

Hope that will help
Meg

On Dec 27, 2007 3:43 PM, User Iam <vramnum10@gmail.com> wrote:

HI

Well, the worst has happen.

The icon said an upgrade was avail..

Would* I like to..

I said sure..

So it upgraded me to 7.10 Gusty...

Now when I log in..

All the icons/button in the upper left corner are gone..


NO Applications, Places, System..etc


And idea how to fix this

TIA

User Iam


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Ashley Benton" 12-28-2007 05:18 AM

upgrade problems
 
Does anything else works on the panel? If not your .gconf file may have been reconfigured during the update. You can try
cd .gconf
cd apps
rm -dr panel
Don't forget to do a backup of your panel directory before to do it,

I had a similar post a few weeks ago for different reason, I join the answer that solved my problem, I left the signature, I hope that OK with the person who helped me

Good luck
Meg

Answer to my post "mouse doesn't open anything in the toolbar anymore" ( I meant the panel, didn't know the name)


On rare occasions, Gnome will sometimes crash making things unclickable.
* *Fortunatly, this rarely ever brings the computer to a halt even if
it appears so. *Hitting the key combination Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (not

delete) will restart GDM, and drop you back to the login screen. *This
sometimes happens to me if I am trying a buggy new program. *A Hard
power off is almost always unnecessary, and can possibly currupt the



file system in instances. *Since Gnome stores it's tool bar information
in xml files ( I think anyway) chances are one of the files wasn't
written to correctly at the time of the crash and in turn sort of



corrupting that file. *To fix your problem you could go to Nautilus, and
select the "show hidden files" box under the view menu then erasing the
"panel" folder. Go to ".gconf">"apps" and erase the folder called

"panel", which will flush all the settings for applet placement and
customization. *After this log off, and log back in. *The folder should
have recreated itself, and your *settings should be restored to default

along with your ability to use the toolbar. *Hope this works :) *If
something more was messed up, you could erase the "nautilus" folder in
.gconf too, hopefully that will fix you up.
Let me know how this worked!

--
Zachary Sandberg


On Dec 28, 2007 12:17 AM, Ashley Benton <meggalen@gmail.com> wrote:




Did you try to reinstall the gnome panel and see if it comes back. Just an idea, you can open your terminal in GUI by clicking the right side of the mouse and create a launcher if you want to stay on GUI, but I don't know the command to open the synaptic package manager. Just beginning, sorry

Hope that will help
Meg

On Dec 27, 2007 3:43 PM, User Iam <vramnum10@gmail.com> wrote:


HI

Well, the worst has happen.

The icon said an upgrade was avail..

Would* I like to..

I said sure..

So it upgraded me to 7.10 Gusty...

Now when I log in..

All the icons/button in the upper left corner are gone..


NO Applications, Places, System..etc


And idea how to fix this

TIA

User Iam


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:




https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Peter Garrett 12-29-2007 08:29 AM

upgrade problems
 
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:43:39 -0800
"User Iam" <vramnum10@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now when I log in..
>
> All the icons/button in the upper left corner are gone..
>
> NO Applications, Places, System..etc
>
>
> And idea how to fix this

Assuming that you still have a panel, and that the menu is missing from
that panel, right click the panel: >> Add to Panel >> Utilities >> Menu Bar

If the panels are not there at all, hit alt-F2 , type gnome-panel , save
your session in System - Preferences - Sessions .

Sometimes you can resurrect a panel by typing " killall gnome-panel" ( it
respawns).

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net
Screenshots slideshow: http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

lee 12-31-2007 01:51 AM

upgrade problems
 
User Iam wrote:
> HI
>
> Well, the worst has happen.
>
> The icon said an upgrade was avail..
>
> Would I like to..
>
> I said sure..
>
> So it upgraded me to 7.10 Gusty...
>
> Now when I log in..
>
> All the icons/button in the upper left corner are gone..
>
> NO Applications, Places, System..etc
>
>
> And idea how to fix this
>
> TIA
>
> User Iam
It would help if you told us what you upgraded from. Your system, and
last but not least how?

Lee

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Pär Lidén" 01-02-2008 09:20 PM

upgrade problems
 
Is it the same every-time you login, or does it work sometimes?

/Pär


2007/12/31, lee <leewen@primus.ca>:
User Iam wrote:
> HI
>
> Well, the worst has happen.
>
> The icon said an upgrade was avail..
>
> Would**I like to..
>
> I said sure..
>
> So it upgraded me to
7.10 Gusty...
>
> Now when I log in..
>
> All the icons/button in the upper left corner are gone..
>
> NO Applications, Places, System..etc
>
>
> And idea how to fix this

>
> TIA
>
> User Iam
It would help if you told us what you upgraded from. Your system, and
last but not least how?

Lee

--
ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Shridhar Daithankar 04-09-2010 02:09 PM

upgrade problems
 
Hi,

I got this pacman error just now, when I wanted to upgrade to 2.6.33.

# pacman -Su
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: kqemu: requires kernel26<2.6.33
:: madwifi: requires kernel26<2.6.33

I removed both these packages and the upgrade is proceeding. Just a heads up
for others who actually need these packages. I don't know why I had madwifi as
there is no wireless card in this desktop machine.

--
Regards
Shridhar

Andrea Scarpino 04-09-2010 02:15 PM

upgrade problems
 
On Friday 09 April 2010 16:09:12 Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got this pacman error just now, when I wanted to upgrade to 2.6.33.
>
> # pacman -Su
>
> :: Starting full system upgrade...
>
> resolving dependencies...
> looking for inter-conflicts...
> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>
> :: kqemu: requires kernel26<2.6.33
> :: madwifi: requires kernel26<2.6.33
>
> I removed both these packages and the upgrade is proceeding. Just a heads
> up for others who actually need these packages. I don't know why I had
> madwifi as there is no wireless card in this desktop machine.
Hi,
madwifi is already in [extra], wait for mirror sync (or switch mirror).

About kqemu you need to edit the PKGBUILD and rebuild the package.

--
Andrea | deelab.org/bash

Thomas Bächler 04-09-2010 02:24 PM

upgrade problems
 
Am 09.04.2010 16:15, schrieb Andrea Scarpino:
>> :: kqemu: requires kernel26<2.6.33
>> :: madwifi: requires kernel26<2.6.33
>>
>> I removed both these packages and the upgrade is proceeding. Just a heads
>> up for others who actually need these packages. I don't know why I had
>> madwifi as there is no wireless card in this desktop machine.
> Hi,
> madwifi is already in [extra], wait for mirror sync (or switch mirror).
>
> About kqemu you need to edit the PKGBUILD and rebuild the package.
>

kqemu support has been removed from qemu. You either use emulation or
KVM. Virtualization with qemu on hardware that is not KVM-capable is not
supported anymore.

"Brunner, Brian T." 04-20-2010 08:47 PM

Upgrade Problems
 
I had a RH7.3 system.
I upgraded via Centos5.3 CDs
I upgraded this system further via Yum.

Current problems:
1: nvidia GF6800 Xtreme video card has no kernel module, so I have
command-line only.
2: Building a kernel module requires downloading (at least parts) of the
kernel; there is no clear label "yum install
kernel-module-build-enabler"
3: Downloading the whole source tree (yum install kernel-devel) should
suffice, but the downloaded kernel source tree does not compile ("make
oldconfig;make proper; make" fails with no rule to make init/main.o)
4: Downloaded kernel module for nvidia fails to load; modprobe nvidia
protests the different kernel build vs module build and bombs out

What's the system builder to do?
************************************************** *****************
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify the system manager. This footnote also confirms that this
email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.
www.Hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated**

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.