Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
"Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT)"

Default .bashrc, .cshrc or .profile scripts

I spend most of my working
day on a number of AIX servers. Out of the box, AIX has a minimal .profile
script – does nothing more than check your mail and let you know if you
have any. Consequently, the first thing I set up are a collection of aliases
for commonly used commands… usually switching on the interactive switch
on destructive commands such as rm plus setting the prompt to show me the
machine I’m logged in to.

*

I wondered how many of
you customise the default .bashrc file on your Ubuntu installations. My own
.bashrc runs to something like 40k now (I have no idea of what it actually is
but it’s over a thousand lines).

*

Anyone care to share
any particularly useful functions, aliases, prompts or any other code?

*

Steve Flynn

Technical Architect

Tel: 01242 670864* Mob: 07980 151 094

*

CLPS Elixir Project Office

Capita Life*& Pensions Services

S4, The Grange

Bishops Cleeve

GL52 8XX

*

www.capita-lps.co.uk

Part of the Capita Group plc - www.capita.co.uk

Capita Life & Pensions Services Limited is registered in England No
4359665

Capita Life & Pensions Regulated Services Limited is registered in
England No 2424853

Registered Office: 71
Victoria Street, Westminster,
London, SW1H 0XA

*

This email and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee, are strictly confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient any reading, dissemination, copying or any other use or reliance is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by email and then permanently delete the email. Copyright reserved.

All communications, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded and are monitored for legitimate business purposes.

The security and reliability of email transmission cannot be guaranteed. It is the recipient?s responsibility to scan this e-mail and any attachment for the presence of viruses.

The Capita Group plc and its subsidiaries ("Capita") exclude all liability for any loss or damage whatsoever arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Nils Kassube

Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT) wrote:
> I spend most of my working day on a number of AIX servers. Out of the
> box, AIX has a minimal .profile script - does nothing more than check
> your mail and let you know if you have any. Consequently, the first
> thing I set up are a collection of aliases for commonly used
> commands... usually switching on the interactive switch on destructive
> commands such as rm plus setting the prompt to show me the machine I'm
> logged in to.

I hope you will always remember that commands are destructive if you sit
at machines you don't own. There is a reason why I don't use those
aliases any longer.

> Anyone care to share any particularly useful functions, aliases,
> prompts or any other code?

Here are some of mine:

alias gdb='gdb -q'
alias man='man -a'
alias top='top -i'
alias md='mkdir -p'
alias rot13='gcipher -C Rot -k 13'
alias play='play -q'
alias dif='diff -dtprU 6 -x bin -x "*.[ao]" -x "*.obj" -x "*~"'

PS1='w/ >[33[m] '
[ "$UID" = 0 ] && PS1='[33[01m33[41m33[37m]h: w/ #[33[m] '

Nils

Old 01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Brian McKee

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT) wrote:
> alias gdb='gdb -q'
> alias man='man -a'
> alias top='top -i'
> alias md='mkdir -p'
> alias rot13='gcipher -C Rot -k 13'
> alias play='play -q'
> alias dif='diff -dtprU 6 -x bin -x "*.[ao]" -x "*.obj" -x "*~"'

> PS1='w/ >[33[m] '
> [ "$UID" = 0 ] && PS1='[33[01m33[41m33[37m]h: w/ #[33[m] '
That's cute - I have a different set of colours for root, but I hadn't
thought to automate it. Making notes....
I do like my more verbose one though...
PS1="[
33[1;37m] u
[33[1;33m]==> [33[0m]"

also I use these...

alias dirlist='find . -type d -ls -maxdepth 1'
alias envdump='perl -mstrict -MData:umper -we 'print Dumper \%ENV;'
alias cd..='cd ..'

Have you guys ever looked at http://dotfiles.org ? Seems like lots of
good stuff there - just hard to find...
e.g. http://dotfiles.org/~inky/.bashrc

Brian

Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

Here is a bash function I use to copy SVN trees excluding the meta data.

function rs_exclude () { rsync -az --exclude .svn $*; }
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 01-31-2009, 12:53 AM
alex goretoy

I created a .bashrc for my ubuntu usage. You can find it here:

http://starnixalpha.blogspot.com/2008/09/fast-commandline-navigation-with-alias.html

-Alex Goretoy
http://www.alexgoretoy.com
somebodywhocarez@gmail.com

Old 02-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Ulf Rompe

Am Freitag, den 30.01.2009, 09:01 -0500 schrieb Brian McKee:
> alias envdump='perl -mstrict -MData:umper -we 'print Dumper \%ENV;'

Doesn't "env" give you the same information?

[x] ulf
--
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Brian McKee

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:10 AM, Ulf Rompe <Ulf.Rompe@icem.com> wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 30.01.2009, 09:01 -0500 schrieb Brian McKee:
>> alias envdump='perl -mstrict -MData:umper -we 'print Dumper \%ENV;'
>
> Doesn't "env" give you the same information?

Hmmm. Yep - looks like it. I remember tripping over that one liner
when I was trying to debug a perl cgi script. Was just the ticket. I
don't remember now why exactly why it migrated to my shell, but it's
been there a long time now. The layout is a little better I
suppose... There must have been another reason, but it escapes me
right now.

Brian