Old 01-30-2009, 03:45 AM
Linda Webb

Default Ubuntu 8.4 problem - Grandmaw Linda

Just wanted to update you guys so you would know I appreciate all the
help. I did download the first virtualbox and then saw the second
message about the usb so I downloaded the second one and then
discovered that the two do not play good together on the same
computer. I am beat and tomorrow is a "run day" so I will not be able
to tackle it tomorrow. I am hoping for Sat. to try to learn how to
remove both virtualboxes and start from scratch . I Really appreciate
your inputs and your time and consideration! I applaud your knowledge
and wish I just had a wee bit of your brains! Thank you and I plan to
get back to you later - I just did not want to leave you hanging -have
a great weekend!
Grandmaw Linda

Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Linda Webb wrote:
> Just wanted to update you guys so you would know I appreciate all the
> help. I did download the first virtualbox and then saw the second
> message about the usb so I downloaded the second one and then
> discovered that the two do not play good together on the same
> computer. I am beat and tomorrow is a "run day" so I will not be able
> to tackle it tomorrow. I am hoping for Sat. to try to learn how to
> remove both virtualboxes and start from scratch . I Really appreciate
> your inputs and your time and consideration! I applaud your knowledge
> and wish I just had a wee bit of your brains! Thank you and I plan to
> get back to you later - I just did not want to leave you hanging -have
> a great weekend!
> Grandmaw Linda

Linda,

If you intend to keep your struggle may I suggest that you:

- Remove any VirtualBox version eventually installed in your system with
(System/Administration/Synaptic/ Search "virtualbox" - remove
completely) or the equivalent aptitude command.

- Install VirtualBox 2.1.2 from Ubuntu repositories
(System/Administration/Synaptic/ - Search virtualbox" - install) and not
directly from Sun. (In my case, Sun version didn't automatically insert
a friendly link to the program in Applications/System Tools, which is a
small nuissance). Only this recent version (Jan 21 2009) manages USB
devices properly.

- Do not care much about reading every detail of
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
since it is not up-to-date and the graphic install is indeed
user-friendly, every step very well explained.

- When asked, set aside, if possible, at least 512MB of Ram memory for
Win XP but no more than 50% of the total available memory and say, 32MB
for video.

- When asked, create a virtual HD drive of at least 8GB for WinXP,
because it is so hungry. It will reside in your home partition.

- Once Win OS is installed (inside VB) I wouldn't care to update bulky
Internet Explorer or install any application that might be also
available for Linux, since this makes no sense at all.

- Notice that before starting the guest OS you have to virtual set "on"
your dear USB device (but not an USB mouse) and virtual mount the CD
reader or CD image (you will certainly need it) since by default most
virtual devices (com, lpt, sound) come "unplugged".

- When running VirtualBox please pay attention to the (right) Ctrl key
that controls the mouse behavior among the OSs and the (right) Ctrl key
plus the "F" key, that switches to full screen and back.

- And if something goes wrong, remove everything and start it all over
again, it is just another software.

Good luck,

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
São Paulo - Brazil

email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com
phone: 55 11 8272 6512

Linux Registered User #481505
http://counter.li.org/

Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Nils Kassube

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> - Install VirtualBox 2.1.2 from Ubuntu repositories
> (System/Administration/Synaptic/ - Search virtualbox" - install) and
> not directly from Sun. (In my case, Sun version didn't automatically
> insert a friendly link to the program in Applications/System Tools,
> which is a small nuissance). Only this recent version (Jan 21 2009)
> manages USB devices properly.

Well, the PUEL version from Sun manages USB devices (at least good enough
for me). Can you tell us what doesn't work with that version?

And which Ubuntu repository has this particular VirtualBox version for
8.04? If I search with synaptic I can only find version 1.5.6.

Nils

Old 01-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> - Install VirtualBox 2.1.2 from Ubuntu repositories
>> (System/Administration/Synaptic/ - Search virtualbox" - install) and
>> not directly from Sun. (In my case, Sun version didn't automatically
>> insert a friendly link to the program in Applications/System Tools,
>> which is a small nuissance). Only this recent version (Jan 21 2009)
>> manages USB devices properly.
>>

> Well, the PUEL version from Sun manages USB devices (at least good enough
> for me). Can you tell us what doesn't work with that version?
>
> And which Ubuntu repository has this particular VirtualBox version for
> 8.04? If I search with synaptic I can only find version 1.5.6.
>

> Nils

Sorry, my fault, wrong assumption, I'm running 8.10 and Synaptic shows
several versions (2.1, 2.0 and OSE).

Since Sun has released 2.1 .deb files for all previous Ubuntu versions I
assumed that it would also be present in 8.04 repository.

Virtualbox 2.0 had some issues with USB. I remember there were some
remarks about this at the Sun site and also in this forum. Anyway I
couldn't manage USB devices before last version.

Anxious to give Linda a smooth path, guess I messed things a bit... it
happens.

L.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Nils Kassube

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> >> - Install VirtualBox 2.1.2 from Ubuntu repositories
> >> (System/Administration/Synaptic/ - Search virtualbox" - install) and
> >> not directly from Sun. (In my case, Sun version didn't automatically
> >> insert a friendly link to the program in Applications/System Tools,
> >> which is a small nuissance). Only this recent version (Jan 21 2009)
> >> manages USB devices properly.
> >
> > Well, the PUEL version from Sun manages USB devices (at least good
> > enough for me). Can you tell us what doesn't work with that version?
> >
> > And which Ubuntu repository has this particular VirtualBox version
> > for 8.04? If I search with synaptic I can only find version 1.5.6.
>
> Sorry, my fault, wrong assumption, I'm running 8.10 and Synaptic shows
> several versions (2.1, 2.0 and OSE).
>
> Since Sun has released 2.1 .deb files for all previous Ubuntu versions
> I assumed that it would also be present in 8.04 repository.

OK, that clarifies it then. And I don't think the Ubuntu repository for
8.04 will get the latest version because it might break existing
installations.

> Virtualbox 2.0 had some issues with USB. I remember there were some
> remarks about this at the Sun site and also in this forum. Anyway I
> couldn't manage USB devices before last version.

I have no idea how good or bad 2.0 was because I never used it. I have
2.1.0 here and I don't see any problem with it. So I think Linda should
use the version from SUN because the Ubuntu version for 8.04 doesn't
support USB. The SUN version is probably the latest version anyway.

Nils

Old 01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
NoOp

On 01/30/2009 09:59 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
[snips]
>> Sorry, my fault, wrong assumption, I'm running 8.10 and Synaptic shows
>> several versions (2.1, 2.0 and OSE).
>>
>> Since Sun has released 2.1 .deb files for all previous Ubuntu versions
>> I assumed that it would also be present in 8.04 repository.
>
> OK, that clarifies it then. And I don't think the Ubuntu repository for
> 8.04 will get the latest version because it might break existing
> installations.
>
>> Virtualbox 2.0 had some issues with USB. I remember there were some
>> remarks about this at the Sun site and also in this forum. Anyway I
>> couldn't manage USB devices before last version.
>
> I have no idea how good or bad 2.0 was because I never used it. I have
> 2.1.0 here and I don't see any problem with it. So I think Linda should
> use the version from SUN because the Ubuntu version for 8.04 doesn't
> support USB. The SUN version is probably the latest version anyway.
>

> Nils

1. The respository verson does not support USB, only the PEUL version
from Sun/VirtualBox.org does. See: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions
Closed-source features

* USB support

VirtualBox implements a virtual USB controller and supports passing
through USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices to virtual machines.

2. The PEUL (Personal End Use License) has been working with USB for me
all the way back to 1.6. There were some issues/tricks that needed to be
done in the earlier versions to get it to work right, but instructions
were in the FAQ. Works pretty much out of the box on the latest.

The only issues that I have is that a Win2KPro guest on a hardy
2.4Ghz/1Gb machine still sucks up a lot of CPU (not nearly as much as
the 1.x versions). However, a very nice feature is the ability to
'Pause' the machine when you are not using it.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> - Install VirtualBox 2.1.2 from Ubuntu repositories
>> (System/Administration/Synaptic/ - Search virtualbox" - install) and
>> not directly from Sun. (In my case, Sun version didn't automatically
>> insert a friendly link to the program in Applications/System Tools,
>> which is a small nuissance). Only this recent version (Jan 21 2009)
>> manages USB devices properly.
>>

> Well, the PUEL version from Sun manages USB devices (at least good enough
> for me). Can you tell us what doesn't work with that version?
>
> And which Ubuntu repository has this particular VirtualBox version for
> 8.04? If I search with synaptic I can only find version 1.5.6.
>

> Nils

I d/l the latest and got a version 1.5.3 and it works fine. Even
supplied the driver for the latest Hardy kernel.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-31-2009, 12:02 AM
NoOp

On 01/30/2009 04:54 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>>
>>> - Install VirtualBox 2.1.2 from Ubuntu repositories
>>> (System/Administration/Synaptic/ - Search virtualbox" - install) and
>>> not directly from Sun. (In my case, Sun version didn't automatically
>>> insert a friendly link to the program in Applications/System Tools,
>>> which is a small nuissance). Only this recent version (Jan 21 2009)
>>> manages USB devices properly.
>>>

>> Well, the PUEL version from Sun manages USB devices (at least good enough
>> for me). Can you tell us what doesn't work with that version?
>>
>> And which Ubuntu repository has this particular VirtualBox version for
>> 8.04? If I search with synaptic I can only find version 1.5.6.
>>

>> Nils
>>

> I d/l the latest and got a version 1.5.3 and it works fine. Even
> supplied the driver for the latest Hardy kernel.
>

> Karl

Right... You didn't mention which guest OS you installed. Now plug in a
USB device and let us know how that works for you in the guest OS.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I d/l the latest and got a version 1.5.3 and it works fine. Even
> supplied the driver for the latest Hardy kernel.
>

> Karl

Hummm... 1.5.3 still works? No bugs?

Must be a vintage edition... circa Dec 2007, a Synaptic rarity...

It isn't available at http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds
any more.

Maybe you would like to check http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog
to find what changed since then.