Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Bob St John

Default Two questions regarding new Ubuntu 8.10 install

Folks,

I've got 2 questions regarding my new Ubuntu install:

1. The video is SiS 760 which apparently is not supported. The display
gets really messed up once in while. I had exactly the same problem with
a Fedora install. This is a known problem with Fedora, and the
resolution is to set the display drivers to "vesa". This worked in
Fedora, and I suspect it would work with Ubuntu. But I don't know how to
change the video drivers in Ubuntu. Is it possible to change the video
driver in Ubuntu 8.10 to "vesa"? How can I do that?

2. From my Fedora environment, I exported my Evolution settings, etc.,
for use with Evolution in Ubuntu. Evolution in Ubuntu seemed to
successfully import the settings, but now whenever I start Evolution in
Ubuntu I get a very quickly disappearing text box that I can't read. Can
someone explain what is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks . . .

Bob St. John

Old 01-31-2009, 05:16 AM
John Hubbard

Bob St John wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've got 2 questions regarding my new Ubuntu install:
>
> 1. The video is SiS 760 which apparently is not supported. The display
> gets really messed up once in while. I had exactly the same problem with
> a Fedora install. This is a known problem with Fedora, and the
> resolution is to set the display drivers to "vesa". This worked in
> Fedora, and I suspect it would work with Ubuntu. But I don't know how to
> change the video drivers in Ubuntu. Is it possible to change the video
> driver in Ubuntu 8.10 to "vesa"? How can I do that?

The only way that I know is to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf. There
is a section in there for video driver and you can set it to vesa. I am
not sure how to do this with a gui.
> 2. From my Fedora environment, I exported my Evolution settings, etc.,
> for use with Evolution in Ubuntu. Evolution in Ubuntu seemed to
> successfully import the settings, but now whenever I start Evolution in
> Ubuntu I get a very quickly disappearing text box that I can't read. Can
> someone explain what is happening and how I can fix it?

I am not sure what is happening but if you launch evolution from the
terminal all error messages should end up in the terminal and you will
have a better idea what the problem is.

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Raquel

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:16:35 -0700
John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bob St John wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I've got 2 questions regarding my new Ubuntu install:
> >
> > 1. The video is SiS 760 which apparently is not supported. The
> > display gets really messed up once in while. I had exactly the
> > same problem with a Fedora install. This is a known problem with
> > Fedora, and the resolution is to set the display drivers to
> > "vesa". This worked in Fedora, and I suspect it would work with
> > Ubuntu. But I don't know how to change the video drivers in
> > Ubuntu. Is it possible to change the video driver in Ubuntu 8.10
> > to "vesa"? How can I do that?
> The only way that I know is to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> There is a section in there for video driver and you can set it to
> vesa. I am not sure how to do this with a gui.

I don't think it's usually a good idea to edit xorg.conf directly.
Read the man page for dpkg-reconfigure then run it against your xorg
configuration.

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

Old 01-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Paul Kaplan

On Saturday 31 January 2009 11:05:28 Raquel wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:16:35 -0700
>
> John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Bob St John wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > I've got 2 questions regarding my new Ubuntu install:
> > >
> > > 1. The video is SiS 760 which apparently is not supported. The
> > > display gets really messed up once in while. I had exactly the
> > > same problem with a Fedora install. This is a known problem with
> > > Fedora, and the resolution is to set the display drivers to
> > > "vesa". This worked in Fedora, and I suspect it would work with
> > > Ubuntu. But I don't know how to change the video drivers in
> > > Ubuntu. Is it possible to change the video driver in Ubuntu 8.10
> > > to "vesa"? How can I do that?
> >
> > The only way that I know is to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> > There is a section in there for video driver and you can set it to
> > vesa. I am not sure how to do this with a gui.
>
> I don't think it's usually a good idea to edit xorg.conf directly.
> Read the man page for dpkg-reconfigure then run it against your xorg
> configuration.

As long as you keep a backup copy you can edit to your heart's content and
restart X to test new configs

I usually stop the kdm service (sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop), then login in two
separate virtual terminals (Alt-F1, Alt-F2) and have one running a text editor
(I use the one in mc since it's gui like) and the other to startx.

Paul