Old 12-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Default HP Plotter with serial interface in Ubuntu?

Hi

I own an old HP Plotter with a serial Interface. I can talk to it with
the HPGL commands through a terminal programm.
Is there a driver available for the HPGL printing language?
I could not find something in the "Printing Administration". No option
for serial printers :-(

I guess HPGL printing language should be well supported in Linux,
because it is a old and well known printing language. Any help or pointers?

Thomas

Old 12-29-2007, 07:47 PM
NoOp

On 12/27/2007 10:51 AM, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> Hi
>
> I own an old HP Plotter with a serial Interface. I can talk to it with
> the HPGL commands through a terminal programm.
> Is there a driver available for the HPGL printing language?
> I could not find something in the "Printing Administration". No option
> for serial printers :-(
>
> I guess HPGL printing language should be well supported in Linux,
> because it is a old and well known printing language. Any help or pointers?
>
> Thomas

Try http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and searching for HPGL in the
description. Found these:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/graphics/hp2xx
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/math/xgraph
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/graphics/cenon.app
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/science/boxshade

You might also find these of interest:

http://www.alfredklomp.com/technology/plotter/
<http://www.3x6.nl/inkscape_hpgl/Linux%20inkscape%20save%20as%20HPGL%20file%20for%2 0pen%20cutting%20plotter%20extension.html>
http://hpgs.berlios.de/

Good luck... I wish that I still had my old pen plotter - brother-in-law
borrowed it & traded it for memory :-(