Old 12-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Keith Clark

Default Ubuntu 7.10 on a Laptop slow startup

I seem to be having a really slow startup time when booting Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop. I'm not sure how to go about checking why this is. I've run pclos with no issues and it only takes about 30-45 seconds to bootup. Ubuntu takes about 3 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Old 12-27-2007, 05:58 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Dec 27, 2007 6:35 PM, Keith Clark <keithclark1966@rogers.com> wrote:
> I seem to be having a really slow startup time when booting Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop. I'm not sure how to go about checking why this is. I've run pclos with no issues and it only takes about 30-45 seconds to bootup. Ubuntu takes about 3 minutes.

Quite often slow boots are the symptom of timeouts and DHCP/DNS
lookups from routers when that informations is superfluous.

Before digging into this with any great gusto, you could try
installing bootchart and analysing or posting links to the resulting
png files it produces - these will show you exactly where the delays
are occurring in your machine.

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 12-27-2007, 06:16 PM

Where do I get bootchart from?

Keith

Old 12-27-2007, 06:19 PM

Sorry, I found it.

Keith

Old 12-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:35:41 -0800, Keith Clark wrote:

> I seem to be having a really slow startup time when booting Ubuntu 7.10 on
> my laptop. I'm not sure how to go about checking why this is. I've run
> pclos with no issues and it only takes about 30-45 seconds to bootup.
> Ubuntu takes about 3 minutes.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem, until I disabled the splash screen. Don't ask me
_how_ it works, but it works. :-)

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 12-27-2007, 07:34 PM

Robert,

I would love to try that. How do I turn off the splash screen?

Keith

Old 12-27-2007, 07:50 PM

I am in Gnome but there is no menu selections as you stated.* System....Personal Settings does not exist.

Keith

I would love to try that. How do I turn off the splash screen?

Keith

If you want to turn off the splash screen then as an ordinary user, log
in, start GNOME, and go to System -> Personal Settings -> System ->
Sessions and deselect the option "Show splash screen on login".

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 PM
"W.D.McKinney"

Old 12-27-2007, 08:08 PM

My splash screen was already turned off by default.

Keith

Old 12-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:54:56 -0900, W.D.McKinney wrote:

>> Robert,
>>
>> I would love to try that. How do I turn off the splash screen?
>>
>> Keith
>
> If you want to turn off the splash screen then as an ordinary user, log
> in, start GNOME, and go to System -> Personal Settings -> System ->
> Sessions and deselect the option "Show splash screen on login".

No, I mean the other one.

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, and remove "splash" from a line similar to this
one, in the uppermost 'block' of boot options, just below the "End Default
Options" line:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-29-k7 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splash

So you should change it to this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-29-k7 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet

Save the file, and reboot.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com