Old 12-27-2007, 04:12 PM
"User Iam"

Default vim

Hi

I can't get syntax highlight turned on..

I am using vim 7.0.235 and Ubuntu 7.10

TIA

User Iam

Old 12-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Harold Bibik

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 09:12 -0800, User Iam wrote:

> I can't get syntax highlight turned on..

Press ESC then type

:syntax on

:syntax off

you can check it out at

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/turn-on-or-off-color-syntax-highlighting-in-vi-or-vim/

--
Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words. - Dorothy Parker

Old 12-27-2007, 08:36 PM
"User Iam"

On Dec 27, 2007 9:59 AM, Harold Bibik <hwbj@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 09:12 -0800, User Iam wrote:

> I can't get syntax highlight turned on..

Press ESC then type

:syntax on

:syntax off

you can check it out at

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/turn-on-or-off-color-syntax-highlighting-in-vi-or-vim/

Ya..

Thanks for the feedback..

It complains that is NOT SUPPORTED this version....

And I have the very same version on another computer...

I think I will deinstall vim and reinstall..

TIA

User Iam

*

*--
Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words. - Dorothy Parker

Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Thilo Six

User Iam wrote the following on 27.12.2007 18:12

> Hi
>
> I can't get syntax highlight turned on..
>
> I am using vim 7.0.235 and Ubuntu 7.10
>
> TIA
>
> User Iam

per default vim-tiny is the installed version onto the system.
This is a 'vi-compatible' vim so to say (needs less space on disc).

$ sudo aptitude install vim

additional packages "vim-scripts vim-addon-manager"

if you want to have the gvim also install "vim-full"

bye
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 PM
"User Iam"

Thank* YOU

That is the information that I needed..

User Iam

Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 AM
hr mahan

Hi all,

I would like to use vim as editor for my Fortran programs.* In Fedora vim colorizes the program's text.* I would like to have this option enabled on my Debian box as well.* What is the solution?

Thanks.

Hamid

Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 00:42:50 -0700, hr mahan (hr.mahan@yahoo.com) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to use vim as editor for my Fortran programs.* In Fedora vim colorizes the program's text.* I would like to have this option enabled on my Debian box as well.* What is the solution?

A good starting point is http://www.google.com/search?q=vim+color

Please use plain text and not HTML on this list. Thank you.

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Owen Townend

2009/3/11 hr mahan <hr.mahan@yahoo.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to use vim as editor for my Fortran programs.* In Fedora vim
> colorizes the program's text.* I would like to have this option enabled on
> my Debian box as well.* What is the solution?

First, make sure that you have the syntax file for fortran.
e.g.
$ dpkg -S syntax/fortran.vim
vim-runtime: /usr/share/vim/vim71/syntax/fortran.vim

Next, read vim help (`:help syntax`) to decide how you wish to enable
it. (probably `:syntax enable`)

cheers,
Owen.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Jochen Schulz

hr mahan:

> I would like to use vim as editor for my Fortran programs.* In Fedora
> vim colorizes the program's text.* I would like to have this option
> enabled on my Debian box as well.* What is the solution?

Look into /etc/vim/vimrc to configure system-wide defaults or make the
appropriate changes to your ~/.vimrc.

J.
--
I use a Playstation to block out the existence of my partner.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 AM

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:42:50AM -0700, hr mahan wrote:
> I would like to use vim as editor for my Fortran programs.* In Fedora
> vim colorizes the program's text.* I would like to have this option
> enabled on my Debian box as well.* What is the solution?

If I recall correctly, the default version of Vim in Debian is provided
by the vim-tiny package which contains a minimal version of Vim. For a
more complete version I suggest installing the 'vim' or 'vim-full'
package.

Either of the above, more complete packages should give you syntax
highlighting.

Gavin