Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM
"Anthony Papillion"

Default Super Slow Response Times

Hello Everyone,

All of a sudden my system is doing certain things VERY slow. Well, really two things: initializing my desktop and shutting down. But, let me explain what I mean. Once my desktop is fully loaded (icons are displayed, wallpaper loaded, etc) I can't click on anything for about 1 minute. This includes the menues. Nothing responds. Then, after a minute, it all works fine. Then, when I go to shut down, I click the icon on the right hand of the bar to bring up my shutdown box and it doesn't respond for about 2 minutes. Once again, everything freezes (except my mouse). Then, the box comes up and I can shutdown normally (though I do notice that whatever was in the bottom middle of the shutdown box is gone...hibernate maybe?

I've checked the logs and nothing seems to be failing. Can anyone offer guidance?

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 12-28-2007, 02:49 AM
"Kim Briggs"

On 12/27/07, Anthony Papillion <papillion@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> All of a sudden my system is doing certain things VERY slow.
> I've checked the logs and nothing seems to be failing. Can anyone offer
> guidance?

Hi Anthony,

You can start off by opening a terminal and executing the "top"
command. It will show you the programs that are using most of your
CPU and keep refreshing itself. Also, I think everyone should have
the applet installed on one of their panels that is called "System
Monitor". Under its preferences have it show CPU and Memory. Very
useful.

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com

Old 12-28-2007, 07:42 AM
"Anthony Papillion"

On Dec 27, 2007 9:49 PM, Kim Briggs <patiodragon@gmail.com> wrote:

On 12/27/07, Anthony Papillion <papillion@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> All of a sudden my system is doing certain things VERY slow.

> I've checked the logs and nothing seems to be failing. Can anyone offer
> guidance?

Hi Anthony,

You can start off by opening a terminal and executing the "top"

command. *It will show you the programs that are using most of your
CPU and keep refreshing itself. *Also, I think everyone should have
the applet installed on one of their panels that is called "System

Monitor". *Under its preferences have it show CPU and Memory. *Very
useful.

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com

Hi Kim,

Thank you for the input. I'm going to look at top and see what's going on. I'll also install System Monitor. Good pointers!

Anthony