Old 12-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Jimmy Stewpot

Default Ubuntu automated installs

Hello,

I am attempting to get the 7.10 to install using the kickstart method
and have some questions which I am hoping to get answers to.

- When I put in packages I get what appears to be the full
ubuntu-desktop install. Is there any way to get "the server" install
with no desktop environment using kickstart?

I have also attempted to to use the normal installer with a preseed
file, I however get problems where It goes through a keyboard "press one
of these keys" style menu system no matter what options I try and
specify in the preseed. I have been unable to fully automate it.

Any advice would be great.

Regards,

James

Old 12-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Jimmy Stewpot

Hi,

Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to get the 7.10 to install using the kickstart method
> and have some questions which I am hoping to get answers to.
>
> - When I put in packages I get what appears to be the full
> ubuntu-desktop install. Is there any way to get "the server" install
> with no desktop environment using kickstart?

I have included the skipx section in the kickstart configuration file.
It still makes no difference to the end installed product.

> I have also attempted to to use the normal installer with a preseed
> file, I however get problems where It goes through a keyboard "press one
> of these keys" style menu system no matter what options I try and
> specify in the preseed. I have been unable to fully automate it.

I have managed to tweak the preseed configuration file so the install is
almost entirely automated. I am now however having similar problems to
the ones I listed above for kickstart. Here is my preseed configuration.

# Ubuntu archive mirror hostname:
d-i mirror/country string GB
d-i mirror/http/countries select GB
d-i mirror/protocol select http
d-i mirror/http/hostname string gb.archive.ubuntu.com
d-i mirror/http/directory string /ubuntu/
d-i mirror/suite select gutsy
d-i mirror/codename string gutsy
# Ubuntu archive mirror:
d-i mirror/http/mirror select gb.archive.ubuntu.com
apt-mirror-setup apt-setup/non-free boolean false
apt-mirror-setup apt-setup/use_mirror boolean true
apt-mirror-setup apt-setup/restricted boolean true
apt-mirror-setup apt-setup/universe boolean true
apt-mirror-setup apt-setup/multiverse boolean true
apt-mirror-setup apt-setup/contrib boolean false
apt-mirror-setup apt-setup/backports boolean true

# Disk Setup
d-i partman-auto/disk string /dev/sda
d-i partman-auto/method string regular
partman-auto partman-auto/init_automatically_partition select
Guided - use entire disk
partman-auto partman-auto/automatically_partition select
d-i partman-auto/purge_lvm_from_device boolean true
d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label boolean true
d-i partman/choose_partition select Finish partitioning and write
changes to disk
d-i partman/confirm boolean true

# Network Configuraiton
d-i netcfg/choose_interface select auto
d-i netcfg/get_hostname string unassigned-hostname
d-i netcfg/get_domain string unassigned-domain
# Disable that annoying WEP key dialog.
d-i netcfg/wireless_wep string

d-i console-keymaps-at/keymap select uk
d-i clock-setup/utc boolean true
d-i time/zone string Europe/London
d-i console-tools/archs select uk

d-i passwd/root-login boolean true
d-i passwd/root-password-crypted password XXXX
d-i passwd/make-user boolean false

popularity-contest popularity-contest/participate boolean false
d-i pkgsel/include screen scsiadd scsitools setserial slocate
smartmontools snmpd sudo sysstat tcpdump tcpslice tmpreaper unzip vim
xinetd zip perl rsync openssh-server ntpdate ntp-server openssh-client
lsb-base lsb-release ethtool libs
tdc++5-3.3-dev debconf-utils

It seems even with this configuration file I will still get all of the x
garbage I do not want installed. All I want to do is install a server,
no x, gnome, firefox etc. Can anyone give me assistance with that?

> Any advice would be great.
>

> Regards,
>
> James

Further to the other issues above, The above preseed file will always
end up with a menu asking me to press certain keys, I am assuming that
its trying to work out what the keymap is. I specify it in the preseed
and on the appended kernel line. In each case I have no success with the
completely automated install.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Jimmy Stewpot

Please find attached a screen shot of the ubuntu installer issue I am
trying to bypass using the preseeding

Jimmy Stewpot wrote:

Hi,