Old 01-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Chris G

Default How to run GUI admin tools remotely?

I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu
8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely
from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of
the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.
I always get something like the following:-

root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin

(services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0

Running *user* programs remotely works fine so I have ssh running such
that X is working OK. I have also tried all sorts of 'xhosts +'
commands on the local system such that there should be virtually no X
authentication at all but I still get the above error.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

--
Chris Green

Old 01-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Alex Katebi

I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu

8.10. *It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely

from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of

the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.

I always get something like the following:-

* *root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin

* *X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.

* *(services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0

Do you have firewall running on the garage PC? If you don't know then do "apt-get Install lokkit" then run it and disable firewall. See if that helped.
*

Old 01-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:40:35AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu
> 8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely
> from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of
> the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.
> I always get something like the following:-
>
> root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>
> (services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> localhost:10.0
>
> Do you have firewall running on the garage PC? If you don't know then do
> "apt-get Install lokkit" then run it and disable firewall. See if that
> helped.

No firewall, all of the LAN is behind a router which provides the
firewall against the 'outside'.

> Running *user* programs remotely works fine so I have ssh running such
> that X is working OK. I have also tried all sorts of 'xhosts +'
> commands on the local system such that there should be virtually no X
> authentication at all but I still get the above error.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to do this?
>
> --
> Chris Green
>
> References
>
> Visible links
> 1. mailto:cl@isbd.net
> 2. mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Chris Green

Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Alex Katebi

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:40:35AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:

> * *On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> * * *I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu

> * * *8.10. *It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely

> * * *from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of

> * * *the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.

> * * *I always get something like the following:-

> * * * * root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin

> * * * * X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.

> * * * * (services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

> * * *localhost:10.0

> * *Do you have firewall running on the garage PC? If you don't know then do

> * *"apt-get Install lokkit" then run it and disable firewall. See if that

> * *helped.

No firewall, all of the LAN is behind a router which provides the

firewall against the 'outside'.
Do you run "lokkit" to be sure?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:47:16AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:40:35AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Chris G <[1][2]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed
> xubuntu
> > 8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it
> remotely
> > from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none
> of
> > the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X
> security.
> > I always get something like the following:-
> >
> > root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin
> > X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> >
> > (services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> > localhost:10.0
> >
> > Do you have firewall running on the garage PC? If you don't know
> then do
> > "apt-get Install lokkit" then run it and disable firewall. See if
> that
> > helped.
> >
> No firewall, all of the LAN is behind a router which provides the
> firewall against the 'outside'.
>
> Do you run "lokkit" to be sure?

You don't seriously expect me to install 174Mb of software just to
confirm I don't have a firewall running on the system do you? It's a
minimal server system with as few additions as possible. :-)

When I installed the system I specified 'no firewall' so I'm pretty
sure it really doesn't have any sort of firewall running on it.
There's no iptables (or ipchains or similar) in /etc/init.d.

In addition a firewall that could distinguish between user X data and
root X data would be rather clever - see below, running user X
programs works fine.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Nils Kassube

Chris G wrote:
> I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu
> 8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely
> from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of
> the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.
> I always get something like the following:-
>
> root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.

Login to the remote machine via SSH with the command

ssh -X user@server

with user and server set appropriately. Then run the command

gksu services-admin

to start the program as root.

Nils

Old 01-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Alex Katebi

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:47:16AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:

> * *On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> * * *On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:40:35AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:

> * * *> * *On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Chris G <[1][2]cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> * * *>

> * * *> * * *I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed

> * * *xubuntu

> * * *> * * *8.10. *It would be really useful to be able to administer it

> * * *remotely

> * * *> * * *from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none

> * * *of

> * * *> * * *the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X

> * * *security.

> * * *> * * *I always get something like the following:-

> * * *>

> * * *> * * * * root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin

> * * *> * * * * X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.

> * * *>

> * * *> * * * * (services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

> * * *> * * *localhost:10.0

> * * *>

> * * *> * *Do you have firewall running on the garage PC? If you don't know

> * * *then do

> * * *> * *"apt-get Install lokkit" then run it and disable firewall. See if

> * * *that

> * * *> * *helped.

> * * *>

> * * *No firewall, all of the LAN is behind a router which provides the

> * * *firewall against the 'outside'.

> * *Do you run "lokkit" to be sure?

You don't seriously expect me to install 174Mb of software just to

confirm I don't have a firewall running on the system do you? *It's a

minimal server system with as few additions as possible. :-)

What is the problem? Disk space or download speed? You can always purge it later.
*

When I installed the system I specified 'no firewall' so I'm pretty

sure it really doesn't have any sort of firewall running on it.

There's no iptables (or ipchains or similar) in /etc/init.d.

In addition a firewall that could distinguish between user X data and

root X data would be rather clever - see below, running user X

programs works fine.
I did not realize that you were accessing as root. Remote root access is normally more restrictive (not allowed) since everyone knows the root login name. Login as yourself then admin with sudo.

*

--

Chris Green

Old 01-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Preston Kutzner

On Jan 25, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Chris G wrote:

I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu
8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely
from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of
the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.
I always get something like the following:-

root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin

(services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
localhost:10.0

Running *user* programs remotely works fine so I have ssh running such
that X is working OK. I have also tried all sorts of 'xhosts +'
commands on the local system such that there should be virtually no X
authentication at all but I still get the above error.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

How are you connecting to the server? Are you using SSH with the -X
switch? Also, how are you trying to start the admin apps? You should
use gksudo, or the KDE equivalent (depending on what is installed on
the remote machine) instead of just sudo. That might be part of your
problem. I also recommend using the -C switch, which compresses the
data over the SSH session. I've been able to run remote admin GUI
apps using X forwarding over SSH over the internet without issues.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:02 PM
David Curtis

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 16:20:40 +0000
Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:47:16AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:40:35AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:
> > > On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Chris G <[1][2]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed
> > xubuntu
> > > 8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it
> > remotely
> > > from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none
> > of
> > > the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X
> > security.
> > > I always get something like the following:-
> > >
> > > root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin
> > > X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> > >
> > > (services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> > > localhost:10.0
> > >
> > > Do you have firewall running on the garage PC? If you don't know
> > then do
> > > "apt-get Install lokkit" then run it and disable firewall. See if
> > that
> > > helped.
> > >
> > No firewall, all of the LAN is behind a router which provides the
> > firewall against the 'outside'.
> >
> > Do you run "lokkit" to be sure?
> >
> You don't seriously expect me to install 174Mb of software just to
> confirm I don't have a firewall running on the system do you? It's a
> minimal server system with as few additions as possible. :-)

Something has happened between 8.04 and 8.10 where 'recommends' are now being automatically pulled in. Apt-get install lokkit will pull in gnome-lokkit, which on a minimal Xubuntu system will pull in all the missing gnome libs, evolution-data-server etc., that a full gnome desktop would need. On 8.04 lokkit, IIRC, is roughly a 500KB install.

In any case 'sudo iptables --list' will show you your policies.

David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com>

Old 01-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Rashkae

Chris G wrote:
> I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu
> 8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely
> from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of
> the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.
> I always get something like the following:-
>
> root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>
> (services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0
>
> Running *user* programs remotely works fine so I have ssh running such
> that X is working OK. I have also tried all sorts of 'xhosts +'
> commands on the local system such that there should be virtually no X
> authentication at all but I still get the above error.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

Use sudo -s to get your root shell instead of sudo -i. That will
preserver your environment variables.