Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Rashkae

Default How to run GUI admin tools remotely?

Rashkae wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
>> I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu
>> 8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely
>> from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of
>> the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.
>> I always get something like the following:-
>>
>> root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin
>> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>>
>> (services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0
>>
>> Running *user* programs remotely works fine so I have ssh running such
>> that X is working OK. I have also tried all sorts of 'xhosts +'
>> commands on the local system such that there should be virtually no X
>> authentication at all but I still get the above error.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a way to do this?
>>

> Use sudo -s to get your root shell instead of sudo -i. That will
> preserver your environment variables.

Alternatively, you can copy the .Xauthority file from the user home
directory to your root home directory. However, using sudo -s (or su
-m, if you use su) will preserver the HOME environment variable, which
will retain the correct .Xauthority

Old 01-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 05:38:03PM +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu
> > 8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely
> > from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of
> > the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.
> > I always get something like the following:-
> >
> > root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin
> > X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>
> Login to the remote machine via SSH with the command
>
> ssh -X user@server
>
> with user and server set appropriately. Then run the command
>
> gksu services-admin
>
> to start the program as root.

Well, the program comes up on my desktop but the "Unlock" button is
greyed out so I can't actually do anything with it.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 01:02:42PM -0500, David Curtis wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 16:20:40 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:47:16AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:

> > > xubuntu
> > > remotely
> > > of
> > > security.

> > > then do
> > > that
> > > >
> > > No firewall, all of the LAN is behind a router which provides the
> > > firewall against the 'outside'.
> > >
> > > Do you run "lokkit" to be sure?
> > >
> > You don't seriously expect me to install 174Mb of software just to
> > confirm I don't have a firewall running on the system do you? It's a
> > minimal server system with as few additions as possible. :-)
>
> Something has happened between 8.04 and 8.10 where 'recommends' are now being automatically pulled in. Apt-get install lokkit will pull in gnome-lokkit, which on a minimal Xubuntu system will pull in all the missing gnome libs, evolution-data-server etc., that a full gnome desktop would need. On 8.04 lokkit, IIRC, is roughly a 500KB install.
>
> In any case 'sudo iptables --list' will show you your policies.

Which shows I have nothing stopped:-

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:56:47AM -0600, Preston Kutzner wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Chris G wrote:
>
>> I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu
>> 8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely
>> from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of
>> the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.
>> I always get something like the following:-
>>
>> root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin
>> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>>
>> (services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>> localhost:10.0
>>
>> Running *user* programs remotely works fine so I have ssh running such
>> that X is working OK. I have also tried all sorts of 'xhosts +'
>> commands on the local system such that there should be virtually no X
>> authentication at all but I still get the above error.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a way to do this?
>
> How are you connecting to the server? Are you using SSH with the -X
> switch? Also, how are you trying to start the admin apps? You should use
> gksudo, or the KDE equivalent (depending on what is installed on the remote
> machine) instead of just sudo. That might be part of your problem. I also
> recommend using the -C switch, which compresses the data over the SSH
> session. I've been able to run remote admin GUI apps using X forwarding
> over SSH over the internet without issues.

I'm only running over a local LAN so speed is not an issue.

As noted higher up in the thread I have just tried "gksu
services-admin" but the "Unlock" is greyed out so I can't actually do
anyhthing.

Chris Green

Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Nils Kassube

Preston Kutzner wrote:
> You should
> use gksudo, or the KDE equivalent (depending on what is installed on
> the remote machine) instead of just sudo.

No, kdesudo is broken since Hardy, it doesn't work via SSH [1]. OTOH, you
can install gksu/gksudo on a KDE system if you want remote graphical root
access.

Nils

[1] <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/208461>

Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Nils Kassube

Chris G wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 05:38:03PM +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Login to the remote machine via SSH with the command
> >
> > ssh -X user@server
> >
> > with user and server set appropriately. Then run the command
> >
> > gksu services-admin
> >
> > to start the program as root.
>
> Well, the program comes up on my desktop but the "Unlock" button is
> greyed out so I can't actually do anything with it.

Sorry, I can't help you there - I don't know services-admin but I suppose
the problem is specific to that program. You could check if graphical root
access works with gksu e.g. with this command:

gksu gedit /root/test.txt

Nils

Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
NoOp

On 01/25/2009 10:19 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> Chris G wrote:
>>> I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed xubuntu
>>> 8.10. It would be really useful to be able to administer it remotely
>>> from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none of
>>> the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X security.
>>> I always get something like the following:-
>>>
>>> root@garage:/usr/bin# services-admin
>>> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>>>
>>> (services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0
>>>
>>> Running *user* programs remotely works fine so I have ssh running such
>>> that X is working OK. I have also tried all sorts of 'xhosts +'
>>> commands on the local system such that there should be virtually no X
>>> authentication at all but I still get the above error.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest a way to do this?
>>>

>> Use sudo -s to get your root shell instead of sudo -i. That will
>> preserver your environment variables.
>>

> Alternatively, you can copy the .Xauthority file from the user home
> directory to your root home directory. However, using sudo -s (or su
> -m, if you use su) will preserver the HOME environment variable, which
> will retain the correct .Xauthority

Since it's on a local lan and supposedly running a graphic desktop, why
not just use VNC via Terminal Server Client (or Krdc if it's kubuntu)?
VNC isn't hampered by the restrictions & will allow shutdown, etc. I
find that when using the NoMachine NX, which uses ssh that there are
similar issues (can't unlock, can't shutdown etc), but not with VNC.

I _think_ that you can modify the policy settings in
System|Administration|Authorizations - but everytime I've messed with
that I've screwed something up.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Rashkae

Chris G wrote:

>> gksu services-admin
>>
>> to start the program as root.
>>
> Well, the program comes up on my desktop but the "Unlock" button is
> greyed out so I can't actually do anything with it.

*sigh* I remember the good old days when this used to be so easy....

right then.

Use either sudo -s or su -m to get root console, as I explained in my
previous e-mail.

Then run ck-launch-session (That's part of Policy Kit / Consolekit,
which gnome-admin utilities now use to grant permissions)

once ck-launch-session is running, you should be able to execute the
gnome GUI admin tools as root and unlocked.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Chris G

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 08:46:59PM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
>
> >> gksu services-admin
> >>
> >> to start the program as root.
> >>
> > Well, the program comes up on my desktop but the "Unlock" button is
> > greyed out so I can't actually do anything with it.
> >

> *sigh* I remember the good old days when this used to be so easy....
>
> right then.
>
> Use either sudo -s or su -m to get root console, as I explained in my
> previous e-mail.
>
> Then run ck-launch-session (That's part of Policy Kit / Consolekit,
> which gnome-admin utilities now use to grant permissions)
>
> once ck-launch-session is running, you should be able to execute the
> gnome GUI admin tools as root and unlocked.

Phew - we made it at last! Thanks! :-)

It took me a little thought to realise that, after getting root on the
garage machine I needed to do:-

ck-launch-session services-admin

all as a single command, but once I'd done that I had what I wanted.

Thanks again for persevering.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Rashkae

Chris G wrote:

> Phew - we made it at last! Thanks! :-)
>
> It took me a little thought to realise that, after getting root on the
> garage machine I needed to do:-
>
> ck-launch-session services-admin
>
> all as a single command, but once I'd done that I had what I wanted.

That's a little strange. When I ran ck-launch-session by itself, it
created a new shell instance from which I could run the services admin
(or any other gnome gui tool.) What does the output look like if you
run ck-launch and then do a ck-list-sessions?